The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b10Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b11Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b10Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b11Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b12 
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b1065%Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b106%Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b1018%Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b106%Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b100%Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

Species & Character Creation

Go down 
+12
Smudge
Tando
Jokoro
The Partisan
Caryington
nosyd
Sureshot
Harlequin2
PrioryJK
Commander Nord
Lunarwolf
BluePhoenix
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Species & Character Creation - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 3:19 am

To be honest when I first saw these my first reaction was that they were fake. Whats the deal with the backgrounds anyway? I hope they aren't pre-determined 'cause that would be really lame.
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
Randomfest
Freelancer
Freelancer
Randomfest

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 3:31 am

probably predetermined like backgrounds in ME so the story is a little more personal
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

Number of posts : 2575
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 3:42 am

Sureshot wrote:
To be honest when I first saw these my first reaction was that they were fake. Whats the deal with the backgrounds anyway? I hope they aren't pre-determined 'cause that would be really lame.

Well the main point about this game is thats its so story driven for an MMO so I think they're going to produce multiple backstories to avoid the problem of everyone coming from the same place and at least differentiate them a bit. I dont think your ever going to get a story driven MMO like this that allows you to fully customize your players background it would be impossible to integrate into the story Wink
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 3:58 am

Aye but I see it as a bit of a slap in the face for roleplayers who have already worked out their own backstories. So now we're all going to have the same companions AND the same backstories? Flippin' stupid if you ask me.

scratch
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 4:03 am

Sureshot wrote:
Aye but I see it as a bit of a slap in the face for roleplayers who have already worked out their own backstories. So now we're all going to have the same companions AND the same backstories? Flippin' stupid if you ask me.

scratch
My point for 6 months... I'm so fearing we'll get a Multiplayer RPG and not an MMO...
Back to top Go down
http://soude.forumactif.com/
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 4:43 am

You could you know just pretend Wink

Its just a trade off for a Bioware story though isn't it, they could have done it without the character having their own story but it wouldn'y be as immersive.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 6:26 am

Well they could've just given the background of the mission or an NPC's story without filling in the gaps for our characters. I don't personally see the need for them filling in our characters story. Sure if it was classed based I can completely see that element of story from that perspective.
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 6:40 am

Sureshot wrote:
Well they could've just given the background of the mission or an NPC's story without filling in the gaps for our characters. I don't personally see the need for them filling in our characters story. Sure if it was classed based I can completely see that element of story from that perspective.
Exactly my point...
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 6:51 am

Every MMO has a "backstory" to it, even if its very minimal (like "you're a member of this race so this has happened in your past"), so its not unreasonable for BioWare to follow that trend and put their own spin on it. We already know that it SW:TOR follows many other MMO traditions (like 'training' or 'creche' areas) and this is just their way of doing it.

Also its likely that much of their style is going to follow on from what they have done in the past; right back to games like Baldurs gate and Neverwinter Nights they've had a choice of pre-determined back-histories to choose from, the real story comes in when the player takes over and starts the game.

As Priory has said, we are able to just 'pretend' as we have to do with any other MMO we RP in.

For example, I know that a Sith Inquisitor starts as a virtual slave on Korriban so I've left a space at the end of my Wiki so that I can tag in that Aleina will be on 'a mission to Korriban for the Falleen to infiltrate the Sith Order and collect data'. She'll arrive on the planet and pretend to be a nobody, acting like she's never been there and go along with what BioWare has in store as part of her own story.

Voila! one 'lvl 1' Sith Inquisitor in SW:TOR.

As Roleplayers and Gamers sure its an inconvienience, but little more than that - In all honesty this new information doesn't (personally) bother me at all - I was expecting them to run with it like this after playing ME, Dragon Age and ME2 recently.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 7:02 am

I've actually been reading through some of them and most of them are pretty generic.

The Merc

You fought in wars across the Outer Rim, but the rules and regulations of a soldiers life never agreed with you.The only code you follow is your own.

Chiss Secret Police

On your conquered homeworld you quashed rebellions, fought terrorists and maintained order for the Empire. Now Imperial Intelligence wants you.

Outlaw

Never knew your parents (bit annoying that one as its a bit specific). Raised in the streets. Learned your skills from gang warfare. It's all about survival.

Rattataki Gladiator

Take as a prisoner in the clan wars of your homeworld, you were sold to the Hutts but survived the arena to escape and become your own boss.

Last edited by Sureshot on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 7:12 am

I quite honestly don't care about game's story and background. My fear is that there will be no place left for OUR stories.
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 7:14 am

Indeed, Sureshot! Sound familiar?

MASS EFFECT 2

Spacer
'Both of your parents were in the Alliance military. Your childhood was spent on ships and stations as they transferred from posting to posting, never staying in one location for more than a few years. Following in your parents; footsteps, you enlisted at the age of eighteen.'

Selecting the Spacer Pre-service History for your character gives him or her a point bonus when receiving Paragon morality points.

Colonist
'You were born and raised on Mindoir, a small border colony in the Attican Traverse. When you were sixteen slavers raided Mindoir, slaughtering your family and friends. You were saved by a passing Alliance patrol, and you enlisted with the military a few years later.'

Selecting the Colonist Pre-service History for your character gives him or her partial point bonus when receiving Paragon or Renegade morality points.

Earthborn
'You were an orphan raised on the streets of the great megatropolises covering Earth. You escaped the life of petty crime and underworld gangs by enlisting with the Alliance military when you turned eighteen.'

DRAGON AGE:

* Human Noble: All human rogues and warriors belong to the noble house Cousland. This is one of the most powerful families in the land. However, even a privileged life can crumble in the face of betrayal.

* Magi: Human and elven mages are respectively from the Amell and Surana families. They spend all their childhoods studying the magic arts until it is time to undertake the Harrowing. This is a secret ritual where an apprentice spellcaster will either become a mage or disappear forever.

* City Elf: Elven rogues and warriors of the city are members of the Tabris family who are confined to the poorest quarter of the city of Denerim. When a local lord claims it his "right" to take a bride from this sector, racial tensions fuel a massacre.

* Dalish Elf: Elven rogues and warriors who life a proud but trying life of isolation. This Mahariel clan of the Dalish elves prefer to stay clear of humankind and their corruption. However, an encounter with and old relic of the Delish elves' past threatens to change their way of life.

* Dwarf Commoner: Dwarven rogues and warriors of the Brosca family are considered "casteless," this is the lowest rung in the dwarven society. Working for the local crime lord has always been the surest way to stay alive.

* Dwarf Noble: Dwarven rogues and warriors born into the royal family of Orzammar do not have it so easy. Dwarven politics are as ruthless as their battles and dwarven nobles witness first hand how cutthroat family greed can get.

You can see where I'm going with this.... Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 7:18 am

I've added another one to my list as well: Rattataki Gladiator.

Back to top Go down
Smudge
Agent
Agent
Smudge

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2010-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 9:09 am

Don't really see how a little bit of flavour in a conversation every now and then will be a problem for Roleplayers. Since everyone is doing the same quests and following the same storyline (1 out of 8 anyway for the class stories) you're going to have to pretend you've never done that quest, had sex with that NPC or killed Revan anyway, so pretending what NPC Jimbob said about your home life in that one line of dialogue shouldn't be much of an issue.
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Number of posts : 1887
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 9:26 am

Actually, Skursir's bio fits perfectly (well, more or less) in with The Merc's description. As Lunar said, they are pretty generic and so it shouldn't be hard fitting them into our backstories.
Back to top Go down
Witya
Agent
Agent
Witya

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2010-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 11:31 am

I don't give a Frisbee about the generic back story of my character. I'll just pick the most accurate scheme fitting his/her real RP past. Think how hard it would be to play strictly with in-game story and E.P.O.C.H. freelancers neutral story. I don't think it can be smoothly merged in every place, so (as I always do) I'll just stick to the RP supremation above BioWare scenario.

On the other hand that's one of the reasons why Leta is still active Imperial Agent. It just makes things go easy.

I used to ignore much of the game story in MMO since Ultima Online and Lineage 2 so it won't be a problem for me. I'm just wandering how much impact the back story will have on the actual character story. It would be nice to see something like Dwarf commoner/noble diversity from Dragon Age.
Back to top Go down
Randomfest
Freelancer
Freelancer
Randomfest

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 12:49 pm

reguardless of how they handle it, it shouldn't really play that much into rp. Its not like you need to tell everyone your background; since most people you meet will just be randoms out in the galaxy that realisticly you probably wouldn't tell your past to. Then again since Rin's past is bad maybe i just see it as something too personal =x
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 2:43 am

Oh i just realised, the body types are preset (atm at least) what will happen to my short stumpy Jylan!!

I bet they stay as well becuase they have such intricate animations that actually interact so they'll need to be the same height :/
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 7:09 am

So whats everyones take on the next lot of species to be revealed? Now that we know they're heading down the near-human route I think all of these are possibilities:

Cathar
Togruta (these are bound to be playable)
Ubese (possible Bounty Hunter species?)
Zeltron
Falleen (they're actually more possible than Wookiees now, who would've thunk it?)
Chagrian (possible Sith class?)
Cerean (Republic aligned species?)
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 8:20 am

Don't know if you've seen this yet but it appears that the Rattataki is now a playable option for Sith Inquisitors: