The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b10Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b11Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b10Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b11Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b12 
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b1065%Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b106%Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b1018%Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b106%Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b100%Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

Species & Character Creation

Go down 
+12
Smudge
Tando
Jokoro
The Partisan
Caryington
nosyd
Sureshot
Harlequin2
PrioryJK
Commander Nord
Lunarwolf
BluePhoenix
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:11 pm

This species restriction based on professions is so stupid... Looks like devs got drugged too much :'(
Back to top Go down
http://soude.forumactif.com/
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:31 pm

I was thinking about this.... and I had to read - and re-read the Species update before I was happy...

I wouldn't panic about the 'restrictions' we've seen here, for a couple of reasons:

1. Look closely at the wording here:

SWTOR.com wrote:
So far we’ve only dropped hints about the range of playable species in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. You may have heard about the Rattataki Bounty Hunter, Chiss Imperial Agent, or the Twi’lek Smuggler, but we can tell you now that all classes will include optional non-human species.

They're using the term 'species' in the plural sense, not the singular. At first the last part of reads like saying that each class will have one non-human race but if that were the case it would read like this:

"but we can tell you now that all classes will include an optional non-human species."

Because they've not written that it implies that each class will have humans + non-human species (plural) associated with it.

2. Right at the bottom is something very, very important:

SWTOR.com wrote:
As excited for these playable species as we hope you are, the list is not yet complete.
"

Why is that so important? well apart from the fact it means more speices are yet to be announced (yay!) It also means that the 'class/species restrictions' combination assumption that everyone is jumping to on SWTOR.com's forums could be very wrong indeed.

So far we know that:

Bounty Hunters can be Rattataki & Human
Imperial Agents can be Chiss & Human
Sith Inquisitors can be Zabrak & Human
Sith Warriors can be Sith & Human

Now, if 'the list is not yet complete' then it means that each class can be one of the races states above + Human AND something else. (if not then the list would be complete!)

With that thought in mind it means any Species to follow will will either follow the Human archetype of being available across all classes or, though more unlikely, each class will have Human plus a set of species specifically tied to that class.

I suspect you'll get cross species / class combos.

In fact although I've seen them show off a Chiss Imperial Agent before for example I don't remember reading / hearing anything saying Chiss could only be the Imperial Agent class, just that they can be.*

So yeah, as much as this (rather unexpected) update puts a big ol' grin on my face I'm personally not panicing about what BioWare is up to.

* If anyone can find definative word from BW that Chiss (or any other species) is tied to only one class, please let me know via pm
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 2:23 am

Yeah, I just hope it's a joke from them... there should be no species restriction for classes, this is the more stupid thing I ever saw in RPGs. Why don't they just do the species without any restriction as we got in SWG? That's much helpful for RPers.

We all have plenty examples in mind to proove that Zabrak (for example) aren't just Sith Inquisitors... Look at Bao-dur in Kotor II, Agen Kolar in AotC, Eeth Koth in tPM, Wolf Sazen in Legacy Comics...
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

Number of posts : 2575
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 3:04 am

I forgot about them being BH's, Rattataki are the Aurra Sings then, it looks like they're taking archetype characteres from starwars and aligning that species with classes.

ie, Maul = Zabrak =Sith I
Aurra sing = Unknown but Rattataki looking = BH
Thrawn etc etc
They dont all fit this but seriously its fricking dumb and shortsighted, I mean they may have more but im guessing this species restriction is for story progression purposes so maybe 3 for each class?
They are going to have tons of Maul clones, thrawn clones, and aurra sing clones running about and every person of a class will look very similar to the people from the same class Rolling Eyes

Personally I wouldn't mid if this wern't so dumb like the sith warrior species ie the Pureblood Sith makes complete sense but Zabrak were not a Sith species ever you even play a good one in previous games.
And LW chiss are IA only I read it somewhere no link though, :/
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Number of posts : 1887
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 3:39 am

Yes! Sharho's in! Very Happy Don't want him looking like Maul though, as in with all the tattoos. Aw well...
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 4:31 am

Well Harl you can choose yor tattos I bet, Although im still pissed off I probably wont be able to play Jylan I just realised something, I thought Twelik companions were there becuase they would compliment the fact you couldn't play them in game but you can.
In fact the companion class of Vette the twilek seems to be a smuggler, and who do the republic have as a bounty hunter companion? a trandoshan Very Happy now I dont actually think this is good evidence espically the fact a trandoshan voice would be a pain to do for a whole game but if you listen to an interview they gave they specifically said you can customise you companions armour which means they have mapped different armours for them, so if they have mapped armours for a companion like a twelik or a trandoshan they could use them on a playable species which is true in the Tweliks case but could be just as true for the Trandosahns as well .......

I mean I'd settle for a Thressk if Jylan was off the cards,

Also Sith Purebreeds look awesome! and it looks like that species from episode 4 is in the game as well, the spy with the long snout that spies on luke on tatooine

Species & Character Creation - Page 5 SS_20100806_SithPureblood01_full
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 6:15 am

Kubaz to precise what PJK's mentionning...
Back to top Go down
Smudge
Agent
Agent
Smudge

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2010-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:58 am

Because I'm rolling a human as my main, I'm not too fussed about -which- species we can get access to, or that all the species are pretty basic humanoid models, and species being restricted to class is a no-brainer, but there are two things I want to see:

a) I would like more than two choice per class (e.g Human + Chiss + something else for Imperial agent). I can see a lot of people picking aliens over human for a bit more variety, so it would be nice to have some choice there.

b) Also, I want to see some overlap between which class one particular species can be, with some exceptions. Obviously Chiss don't really fit in anywhere else, so I'm happy to see all Chiss be IAs. In terms of say, Twi'leks and Zabraks, however, they could probably fit most of the classes, so I would like to see them have at least two choices for some variety (so not ALL Twi'leks are smugglers).

I think anything less than that would be a bad move.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 6:44 am

This is actually the main reason I haven't created my Bounty Hunter main yet. I had a feeling BioWare would pull some sort of stunt when it came to species, and I didn't want to jump ahead of myself and create a character that I couldn't use. Personally I think we'll probably get about a list of 3 species per class, but I still think it's a bad move on BW's part. Saying that I'm very happy that I'll be able to play as a Mirialan for my Jedi Consular alt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
nosyd
Freelancer
Freelancer
nosyd

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 8:43 am

I guess that's Vivaa as a Zabrak out the window then. Crying or Very sad

I can't say I'm too keen on Bioware's approach to species restriction. What's the reasoning behind it?
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 10:54 am

Reasoning? You expect reasoning? lol not flipping likely!
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 3:25 am

I don't even wanna know IF there is a reasoning behind this...
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 5:12 am

Just seen this on Darth Hater:

SeanD wrote:

There are combinations we haven't confirmed. James recently talked on this subject at Comic-Con International, though, and announced that there will be some restrictions. For the time being, the combinations we have announced you can count on. What other combinations will there be? That's an update for another day...

When questioned about the definition of the Zabrak's horns in the image above, BioWare's Sean Dahlberg responded with something interesting regarding character creation:

SeanD wrote:

While we haven't gotten into Character Creation yet (publicly), there are a variety of things you can adjust and customize for each of the species.

Well it's a relief there's actually going to be combinations at least.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 12:00 pm

Apparently swtor-station.com noticed the following at gamescom:

Quote :
We saw a Zabrak Trooper. It looks like this species will also be available for this class to choose.
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:00 am

depends was it an NPC or not?
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Well I saw this one coming a mile away but Daniel Erickson has pretty much confirmed that all playable species will be near-humans:

Daniel Erickson wrote:

Hey Folks,

Sorry for the confusion. Booth chat is, let's be clear, not an official information release. What you got was one line of an extended conversation that was had between me and one of the players at the booth. We started talking about what made a hero in Star Wars and then, once that was clear, there were some jokes about what the romances would look like had we gone for the toybox approach of letting you play anything in the action figure line. That's the part of the conversation the quote came from.

The first part was merely a repetition of something we've said before. Namely that lead characters in an RPG must be something the player can relate to. There has never been a movie or major Star Wars series with a complete freak job as the lead and that's because dramatically it doesn't work. We don't understand what it means to be a giant lizard or a droid or a walking ball of jelly. We love the weird characters but they are always the sidekicks, not the emotional connection in the movie. To do an RPG that way every NPC you ran into would have to react to you depending on their own cultural bias and the entire "into the strange" adventure that is Star Wars would be lost as you would be the strangest thing in the room. People would constantly be asking you for information about your weird species and their emotional content that the vast majority of players simply wouldn't have and their ability to really BE this character would be nil.

So whether it’s Dragon Age, Mass Effect or The Old Republic, PCs are near enough to humans for us to crawl into their skin. They have generally understandable facial expressions, they don't look ludicrous speaking the basic language, they can interact with the rest of the galaxy without a constant "what the heck?" reaction from the NPCs. The freaks, the droids, the weird that we get to know and learn about--that's where our companions come in.

It's okay to turn to your companions and say "What are you supposed to be?" It's not okay to look in the mirror and say that.

In the future I can see a day where we would do a Trandoshan or Wookiee type story but it would have to be just that. Not a simple graphic swap where now your smuggler is a giant lizard man and nobody notices but a full class story where you learn what it means to be this strange alien and deal with the rest of the galaxy and their reactions. For the present, however, our heroes are our projections of self, headed into a galaxy of wonders and adventures.

I know that this isn't what some people want but I hope it helps them understand that game design isn't simply throwing random features into a game because they seem cool. You have to have a goal, a final holistic ideal that you're trying to hit. The Old Republic is, and always has been, about starring in your own version of a Star Wars movie. Not playing a background character from scene 5, not about living a humdrum day to day existence in the Star Wars worlds (there are no refreshers--sorry!) and not about pulling out the extended action figure line and getting to use it as virtual costume party. None of these are, by themselves, bad goals and could absolutely be fun in a very different sort of game. But in TOR they would work directly against what we were trying to achieve.

So did we limit species choice for romances? No. Did we limit them for our goal of bringing cinematic storytelling and the dream of living the Star Wars movies to the MMO space? Absolutely.

Hope that helps!

Daniel

[SOURCE]
Back to top Go down
Randomfest
Freelancer
Freelancer
Randomfest

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 7:19 pm

I dunno sucks for people who really wanted those species but at least its sound reasoning. Seemed to me like he was eluding that it would be a possibility in the future and if it did happen would make their stories really cool.
Back to top Go down
Witya
Agent
Agent
Witya

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2010-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Yeah, it's not WoW where gnome warlock,human warrior,dwarf paladin,
night elf druid and draenei mage generally share the same quests over and over again. Each class have it's own storyline, maybe there will be some special species quests.

IT can be the Achilles heel of the SWTOR however. It will take much more time and effort to make an expansion pack. They will have to extend each of the 8 story lines. If they add new class they have to fully voice another one. Mix it with the other ones. And all of this only as a bonus to normal expansion pack stuff.

But hey! It's BioWare, they like to push limits further and further Smile

For me, I'll consider and alien character after game release. I always play most cruel and sinister race: human ;p
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 11:12 pm

This is definitely where BW are going to get the majority of their negative comments, which is probably why they are being so tight-lipped about it all.

It makes sense that they want to "big up" all the new stuff they're doing before they hold their hands up and go "OK, fine - you can't play Wookies."

If they had said this at the beginning, the Gaming mags and the internet would have been awash with "Its BioWare, but is it really Star Wars? Even SWG allowed you to play the iconic races so really, is this a step forward?" or something else as short-sighted and contrived as that.

Now they have released all this info they can turn round and say "Sure, you can't play Wookies, or Trandoshan....yet. But here *holds up one of the loads of new features* is why, and instead you'll be getting this *holds up another new feature*, and this *and another*, and this *waves a fourth one about*. Plus we're not saying you'll never get to play them..."

I all fairness it could have been worse. I mean look at some of their other big titles: KOTOR, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2. You get to play "Humans Only". Even some of their games where you get to play 'non-humans' (Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age), they're still pretty 'near human' (Dwarves, Elves etc) - so its safe to say they're not deviating from their winning formula.
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:35 am

And without being devil's advocat... 80% of the people that played SWG, play a human, a zabrak or a b****y twilek... Not that you found plenty of sullustean, ithorian or mon cal.
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:21 am

Found these over the webz...
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:32 am

Intresing, seems you can apply facial paints to your characters Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Looks a lot like the Dragon Age character creator wearing a SWTOR themed-skin Very Happy

The inclusion of a 'Background' is veeeerry interesting.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Smudge
Agent
Agent
Smudge

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2010-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Old pics for intrepid beta leak hunters like myself, but cool nonetheless Razz
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 1:19 am

Aye looks pretty nice and very dragon age-ish. Poor leaker he gonna have his account bloked before he validated the character creation lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species & Character Creation   Species & Character Creation - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Species & Character Creation
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next