The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b10Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b11Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b10Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b11Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b12 
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b1065%Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b106%Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b1018%Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b106%Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b100%Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)

Go down 
+2
Sureshot
Lunarwolf
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Empty
PostSubject: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 8:52 am

I'm looking to start a new writing project inspired in part by the fact Soude/Caryington has been soldiering on with his (well done there, by the way Like a Star @ heaven ) but also because I've had a few ideas brewing around inside my head for a while now.

Although I'm also writing my Fantasy Trilogy at the moment, I fancied taking a break from it to move into another genre. I've written horrors and comedies before as well as several contempory short stories but have only ever briefly touched on Science Fiction in the past. With all the fun I've had writing stories here, I've decided to put my mind to writing a Sci-Fi Novel.

Part of my problem with writing is time constraints and sometimes weeks or even months can go by between chapters, so I've decided to try something a little different with this one. Due to the fact people read less these days (what with the distractions of films, gaming etc) its often harder for people to find the time to sit down and read eight or nine chapters of a book on the fly. To combat this (and to help give me motivation and the chance - hopefully - for organic feedback) I'm going to write it EPISODICALLY, a bit like a TV series with a continual story arc where smaller, self-contained stories work through it evolving the characters and the world(s) around them.

I NEED YOUR HELP!

The one thing I want to do is create an interesting and memorable reality to fit around characters which will hopefully inspire the minds of the readers. I have many ideas and am already beginning to knit them together in my mind, but I've learnt over the years that the input from trusted sources is invaluable. When considering Sci-Fi, I can't think of a more dedicated and diverse set of opinions than the ones that stem from you guys, right here at EPOCH. Though I know you all love Star Wars, I'm also well aware you have other Sci-Fi loves as well, so I'm hoping I can tap into your collective consciousness to hammer out what you like and dislike about Sci-Fi; and through that create a story that you'll enjoy reading and give feedback on.

WHAT I NEED

1. A Team
I know we're all busy people, but I'm after a handful (or more, if you like!) of people to walk the path with me - so to speak - as I write this. Due to the fact its going to be episodic (I'll try to write a new "Episode" each fortnight), there should be plenty of time for people to read what I've done, give feedback and allow me to make alterations in the week immediately after writing it; giving me the 2nd week to write the next part. So first and foremost I need a team of people willing to go over my work as I write it and essentially work like editors for me. Everything will go up on the net so you can get access to it whenever you need to, and leave comments.
Another way to think of yourselves in this capacity is as co-writers, because your suggestions will alter the story as it progresses.
This is a long-term, mid-level commitment.

2. A Wiki-labirator
Like a collaborator, but for a wiki Wink
I need one or two people (who can be part of the Team mentioned above or seperate from it) to help me create and maintain a wikia about the story, the places and the people of this novel. Preferably someone with experience with Wikia, but if not then just the drive to keep it updated on a semi-regular basis.
This is a long-term, low-to-mid level commitment.

3. Questionnaire response
For those with little time but who would also like to help, below is a questionnaire which I would love if people could take the time to fill out and reply to this thread. Its designed for me to get an idea of what people want - and what they're sick of! Essentially its a way for me to guage what people like about Sci-Fi so I can weave it into the story, but from you guy's perspective its a chance to get a story written that you'll actually like to read!
This is a short-term, low-level commitment.

PLEASE NOTE that involvement of any of the three options is entirely optional, but please if you do want to get involved in option 1 or 2, commit to it because I need people I can rely on for this. Incidently, nothing is stopping you from signing up to all 3 should you want to Wink

THE QUESTIONNAIRE

Please simply copy and paste this into a reply to this thread, with your answers included.
Please be as detailed as you feel you can, as the more info I get, the better!

1. List the first 5 things that come to mind when you hear the words 'Science Fiction'

* 1:
* 2:
* 3:
* 4:
* 5:

2. What is your favourate sub-genre of Science Fiction? (please pick one)

* Alien invasion: (examples - War of the Worlds, Battlefield Earth etc)
* Alternate history / Parallel Universe: (Fringe, Sidewise In Time)
* Apocalyptic: (The Stand, I Am Legend)
* Cyberpunk: (Blade Runner, The Matrix, Ghost In The Shell)
* Dystopian: (Brave New World, Equilibrium, Brazil)
* Hard science fiction: (A Fall of Moondust, A Gift from Earth)
* Horror: (Alien, 28 Days Later, Event Horizon)
* Military science fiction: (Battlestar Galactica, Starship Troopers)
* Mystery: (2001, The 13th Hour)
* Soft science fiction: (1984, Gulliver's Travels)
* Space opera: (Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon5)
* Steampunk: (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea)
* Superhero (or metahuman): (Superman, Akira)
* Time travel: (Dr Who, The Time Machine, Time Bandits)
* Utopian: (Ecotopia, The Mars Trilogy)
* Western: (Firefly, Wild Wild West)

3. Who is your favourite character from Science Fiction, and why?

4. Which holds more interest to you? (please pick one and describe why)

* Contempory Science Fiction (Relatively near-future, deals with such things that affect our world today, but in a 'futuristic' manner, such as war, diversity in cultures, concentration on Earth, probing into Scientific 'fringe' sciences such as cybernetics, nano-tech, interplanetary space travels)

* Fantastical Science Fiction (Far into the Future, Earth is just one of many worlds, Humanity is (most likely) not alone in the universe, deals with such things that bridge the scientific and the fantastical such as, space battles, alien cultures, new worlds, faster-than-light travel.)

5. What sort of characters are over-used in Science Fiction in your opinion, and why? (such as 'Lone Wolf' Assassins/Spies/Double Agents, Space Pirates, Overly-powerful alien races, genius-scientists etc)

6. What sort of characters are under-used in Science Fiction in your opinion, and why? (such as 'the everyman', the underdog/down-and-outs, the faithfull (religious), space nomads, the romantic)

7. Who is your least favourite character in Science Fiction, and why?

8. Do you prefer Humanity in Science Fiction to be: (pick one)

* The only people in the story
* The Underdogs / Oppressed
* The Top Dogs / Oppressors
* In balance with others
* One of a myriad of races, almost 'lost in the crowd'

9. What are your opinions on "Fantastical Space Travel"? How do you feel about the concepts of Hyperspace, Warp Travel, Starbusting, Star Gates / Relays, Wormhole Travel etc? Are they important to the genre? or do you prefer your stories contained within 1 or 2 worlds with standard travel between them?

10. What are you opinions on Augmentation? Does Sci Fi work well with such things as Cybertech / Nanotech, Alien-body mods, Psionic/Telepathic communication?

11. How important is it for a Sci Fi story to have an "Instantly Recognizable Feature"? For example Star Wars has 'The Force', The Alien Films have 'The Xenomorphs', Battlestar Galactica has 'The Cylons', Dr Who has 'The TARDIS' etc)

12. Do you prefer Sci-Fi to be epic in scale, where the world(s) it is set in have as much colour as the protagonists of the story, or concentrate more on the characters and their psyche within the story? (for Epic see Star Wars, Star Trek etc. For Characterization see Blade Runner, Equilibrium etc)

13. Rate these aspects of the genre of importance to you; 5 being the most important, 1 being the least:

* Geographical / Galactic Exploration
* Action
* Scientific / Technological Exploration
* Romance
* Story Arc

14. Aliens or Robots? (just out of interest, pick your favourite)

15. What makes a starship Iconic? please list your favourite Starship from any Sci-Fi source and describe why its 'THE' ship as far as you're concerned.

16. Please List your top 3 Sci-Fi Films and describe why: (not in any paticular order)

17. Please List your top 3 Sci-Fi Television Series and describe why: (not in any paticular order)

18. Please List your top 3 Sci-Fi Novels and describe why: (not in any paticular order)

19. How does Sci-Fi grab your attention over other genres? What is it that draws you into Sci Fi? (please be as descriptive as possible)

20. What, if anything, annoys you in Science Fiction? Are there parts that are over-used? certain Clichés get on your nerves? parts that you feel could do with more attention? (please be as descriptive as possible)

Thanks in advance folks!

CONTRIBUTORS:

Helping to proof-read and offer feedback, a.k.a: 'The Team':

* Tando
* My bro
* PrioryJK

Helping to set up and maintain the Wikia, a.k.a: 'The Wikilaborators':

* Tando

Offers their thoughts via the Questioniare, a.k.a: 'The A-Listers':

* Caryington
* PrioryJK
* Sureshot
* Tando
* My missus

Last edited by Lunarwolf on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 10:06 am

1. List the first 5 things that come to mind when you hear the words 'Science Fiction'

* 1: Futuristic
* 2: Aliens
* 3: Space
* 4: Hi-Technology
* 5: Fantasy

* Horror: (Alien, 28 Days Later, Event Horizon)

Tough one. I think Ellen Ripley will always be one of my favourite characters from Sci-Fi, so I'll go with her. Probably because the character is a female lead with a lot of depth. Being female and seeing what she's had to endure you can see that she really brings out the human element in contrast to the Alien(s), which couldn't be more, well, alien!

* Fantastical Science Fiction (Far into the Future, Earth is just one of many worlds, Humanity is (most likely) not alone in the universe, deals with such things that bridge the scientific and the fantastical such as, space battles, alien cultures, new worlds, faster-than-light travel.)

EDIT: Oops forgot an explaination.

If Star Wars has shown us anything it's that BIG works and appeals to a wider audience. Which is probably why we see so many big budget movies in the realm of Science Fiction. It also goes to show that it can be done on a very tight budget (just look at the now cult classic Cube), as long as the story and concept are strong. The more you have too look or read about, the more diverse a story becomes. Just be careful not to overflood it.

5. What sort of characters are over-used in Science Fiction in your opinion, and why?(such as 'Lone Wolf' Assassins/Spies/Double Agents, Space Pirates, Overly-powerful alien races, genius-scientists etc)

Well lets face it Super-Heroes are swamping us at the minute in the mainstream media, and as much as I like them they're over-used.

6. What sort of characters are under-used in Science Fiction in your opinion, and why? (such as 'the everyman', the underdog/down-and-outs, the faithfull (religious), space nomads, the romantic)

I think that like you say the everyman is not used enough, but I'd prefer one with a twist. Take for example Riddick from Pitch Black & The Chronicles of Riddick. He's almost so anti-hero he's a villian! Another good example would be Deckard from Blade Runner. Heroes don't always have to be fantastical. I'd swap interesting over fantastical any day of the week.[/color]

That little thing from Farscape (ya know, the Yoda ripoff?). Horrible, horrible character. But then I guess you know my feelings on that entire series. Wink

So called comedy characters (ala Mr. Binks) are never done well, with the exception of C3-P0 and R2-D2. Also characters that cater for children. I really don't like kid stuff intergrated with Sci-Fi.

9. What are your opinions on "Fantastical Space Travel"? How do you feel about the concepts of Hyperspace, Warp Travel, Starbusting, Star Gates / Relays, Wormhole Travel etc? Are they important to the genre? or do you prefer your stories contained within 1 or 2 worlds with standard travel between them?

I honestly just accept it as part of the package but I guess it has been overdone a tad. Hyperspace, Warp travel, Stargates etc. are all well and good and a stable introduction to the person that they are reading a Sci-Fi novel or watching a Sci-Fi film.

10. What are you opinions on Augmentation? Does Sci Fi work well with such things as Cybertech / Nanotech, Alien-body mods, Psionic/Telepathic communication?[/color]

Very nice, if done right.

11. How important is it for a Sci Fi story to have an "Instantly Recognizable Feature"? For example Star Wars has 'The Force', The Alien Films have 'The Xenomorphs', Battlestar Galactica has 'The Cylons', Dr Who has 'The TARDIS' etc)

Vital. Without anything to attract the viewer there's no point in creating anything. Every Sci-Fi has it 's "Product" to which it sells itself on. It might be worth mentioning that there are far too many Star Trek clones (Babylon 5 springs to mind) that haven't grabbed my attention due to the very fact that I feel it's all be done before. Sure, I watch loads of Alien rip-offs but thats only because "creature features" (no not the ones on the Sci-Fi Channel!) appeal to me. Still, each one must be unique in some way.

12. Do you prefer Sci-Fi to be epic in scale, where the world(s) it is set in have as much colour as the protagonists of the story, or concentrate more on the characters and their psyche within the story? (for Epic see Star Wars, Star Trek etc. For Characterization see Blade Runner, Equilibrium etc)

Can't help you there as I like both equally. I really can't decide on that one. Take Star Wars & Blade Runner as an example. They both succeed on so many levels and yet they're different ends of the spectrum. My perfect Sci-Fi would have both, wait thats Aliens isn't it? Razz

13. Rate these aspects of the genre of importance to you; 5 being the most important, 1 being the least:

1. Story Arc
2. Action
3. Romance
4. Geographical / Galactic Exploration
5. Scientific / Technological Exploration

Aliens, by far.

15. What makes a starship Iconic? please list your favourite Starship from any Sci-Fi source and describe why its 'THE' ship as far as you're concerned.

Well it just has to be Boba's Slave 1 doesn't it? The very thing that gives me goosebumps about Star Wars is the "used future" style (which sadly they lost in the prequels). I adore it's strange design and the fact it's dirty and clearly seen more battles than it should have.

16. Please List your top 3 Sci-Fi Films and describe why: (not in any paticular order)

* 1. Aliens -
Combines Horror, Sci-Fi, and Action along with interestng characters and 1000's of possibly the worlds most sinister protaganist, the Xenomorph. THE most perfect movie ever made.

* 2. Predator -
For the same reasons above really. Sure it's very similar to Aliens but bringing the war to us on Earth, which is where we wanted to see the Alien franchise go (AvP doesn't count in my eyes!)

* 3. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Its a goddam classic for a "Space Opera"! Not only did it surpass the original in every way but it left us with possibly the best cliffhanger ever. No one was expecting ESB to be as dark as it was and it remains a benchmark in Science Fiction.

17. Please List your top 3 Sci-Fi Television Series and describe why(not in any paticular order)

1. The X-Files

I'm a huge follower of anything to do with the paranormal and cryptozoology and if you ignore the annoyingly long main alien story arc, there's some truly awesome mini-epiodes in there. I feel that X-Files is the first of it's kind and something that will never again be repeated well.

2. Supernatural

This is all your fault L-Dubz! If you hadn't had introduced me to this Firefly would be sitting comfortably in second place. I love a bit of comedy in what I watch and Supernatural has to be the funniest of the bunch. Yes its not really Sci-Fi per se but it does have elements of it that I enjoy.

3. Firefly

Whats that? Cowboys in space? Cooooool. As you know I do like my classic westerns and Firefly was a breath of fresh air from all the Star Trek clones out there. In fact its the closest we'll probably get to a live action Star Wars TV show, considering Lucas is still fumbling about with his beard.

Lets see how long the Walking Dead takes to get in there. Wink

18. Please List your top 3 Sci-Fi Novels and describe why: (not in any paticular order)

You may find this strange but I don't actually read Sci-Fi novels, aside from Star Wars related ones. I don't think I'm qualified to give you an answer here sorry bud. Horror on the other hand....Wink

19. How does Sci-Fi grab your attention over other genres? What is it that draws you into Sci Fi? (please be as descriptive as possible)

It can grab my attention in one or two ways. Firstly it's a close cousin to Horror that when intermixed normally produces a better result than if the two were "stand alone" Sci-Fi or Horrors. Sci-Fi also brings with it what Horror often lacks, an original story. Story has always been key with me and if you add that fact that Sci-Fi normally introduces us to some of the most outrageously complex characters then it's always a big hit with me.

20. What, if anything, annoys you in Science Fiction? Are there parts that are over-used? certain Clichés get on your nerves? parts that you feel could do with more attention? (please be as descriptive as possible)

Oh hell yes. Seeing Humans being the central character so that we can relate to them easily is growing tiresome. Wouldn't it be more interesting to see the world/galaxy from an alien or robots eyes (think the movie AI)? I think its about time Sci-Fi made a radical shift in this area and changed our views on what we consider perception. Cliché's that aliens are attacking earth or that our planet is about to end is also done and dusted as far as I'm concerned. I say lets bring characters and original ideas back to the forefront again.

Hope thats helped mate!

Last edited by Sureshot on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Very helpful, cheers chap. Got the missus to do it too, with some very different results!

Anyone else fancy helping please?
Back to top Go down
Tando
Special Agent
Special Agent
Tando

Number of posts : 1068
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 12:08 pm

I will try to help Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.evil-wizards.org/swtor-wiki/index.php/Tando_Alums
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Lunarwolf wrote:
Very helpful, cheers chap. Got the missus to do it too, with some very different results!

Hehehe I bet! Can't imagine what Nicola's results would be. In fact I might ask her if she's not too busy watching Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. LOL!
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 1:06 pm

Tando wrote:
I will try to help Smile

Cheers Mr T Smile

Which part are you interested in?

1, 2 or 3?

or any combo thereof Wink
Back to top Go down
Tando
Special Agent
Special Agent
Tando

Number of posts : 1068
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 1:17 pm

All 3 if you need
Back to top Go down
http://www.evil-wizards.org/swtor-wiki/index.php/Tando_Alums
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 2:09 pm

Spoiler:
Here you go!
As for a deeper involvment, I can't at the moment. I don't even know how I'm gonna organise myself to finish my own work, pal :'( Rest assured that if I manage to get it fixed, I'll help ^^
Back to top Go down
http://soude.forumactif.com/
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 2:25 pm

@ Tando: If you think you can, that'd be excellent! Even with the 'Team' option its not actually a major time commitment; just check in and read the story once a week, and leave your thoughts.

@ Caryington: I totally understand and if you ever get the time your input would be appreciated! Its going to be going on for some considerable time, so even if you can't get involved at the beginning there will be the opportunity later.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Just edited my question 4. Wink
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

Number of posts : 2575
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 5:24 am

another questionairre >.> will do later Wink
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 8:17 am

I've added a list to the bottom of the O.P. of who has been kind enough to help so far Smile
Back to top Go down
Shaikan
Freelancer
Freelancer
Shaikan

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 9:32 am

As soon as I will get the time (have to stop playing Dragon Age2 Razz) I will do the questionnaire for you.
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks Shaikan Smile
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

Number of posts : 2575
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 2:05 pm

I'll complete later and I'll help with number 1 as well

Quote :

* 1:Space Travel
* 2:Futuristic Enviroments
* 3:Technology
* 4:Time Travel
* 5:Computers

* Cyberpunk: (Blade Runner, The Matrix, Ghost In The Shell)

* Contempory Science Fiction (Relatively near-future, deals with such things that affect our world today, but in a 'futuristic' manner, such as war, diversity in cultures, concentration on Earth, probing into Scientific 'fringe' sciences such as cybernetics, nano-tech, interplanetary space travels)
More close to what we are at now and I also never find completly futuristic stories that fleshed out or very ill concieved

5. What sort of characters are over-used in Science Fiction in your opinion, and why? (such as 'Lone Wolf' Assassins/Spies/Double Agents, Space Pirates, Overly-powerful alien races, genius-scientists etc)

Luke, Neo, that guy from Wanted, Jumper, characters thet a nobodies but discover their own super special power that is integral to saving something! It does become a bit cliche, also stupid aliens ffs they can travel through space to us they can wipe out a few *BLEEP!* americans!

People more closely associated with real people I would say.

Don't care tbh

As a engineer (yes its true!) and nerd I'd say yes they are useful but one of the biggest problems i have with futuristic technology is that people think of something that would be cool like FTL ships and put them in the story and then completly ignore that fact that such technology does not get limited to just space travel. There would be hundreds of use's for FTL it warfare weaponary etc yet in sci fi people can't imagine all the possible use's of technology they just want a clone or a ray gun or a teleporter and go from A to B and ignore the mass of other technology that would be invented off the back of it.
Lets take for example the new Startrek movie for example ignore the bullshit timetravel and massive story and physics flaws (i know I couldn't Sad ) and look at the very basics of the story, the big green romulan ship is a mining ship that uses a laser to drill holes to mine, wouldnt the invention of high tech scanners and teleporters remove the need to such bullshittery!? Just scan the gold and teleport it out atom by atom or block by block, any technology in a sci novel needs to be accompanied by more then one use and corasponding development of other technologies. and relax

10. What are you opinions on Augmentation? Does Sci Fi work well with such things as Cybertech / Nanotech, Alien-body mods, Psionic/Telepathic communication?

Cyber tech is under done, nanotech is too far reaching really if someone can make it repair tissues then it can be used like a virus so for me nanotech ruins stories for the above reason (see long rant) Psionic kinda gets too fanatsy foe me personally.

Blade runner has....? Yeah it helps alot but not definatly needed

Equilibrium lol Razz Epic movies still have character at the core so thats essential

* Geographical / Galactic Exploration 3
* Action 4
* Scientific / Technological Exploration 2
* Romance 5
* Story Arc 1
woops thats backwards!

Robots

Yeah it has to be the Slave One again, great minds think alike Paul!
Others are interesting for sure but many are overlarge cruisers like the Romulans or Star Destoryers and are never explored fully
Slave 1 is a perfect little module of uniqueness, the overly large veiwscreen the flat engine assembly, the drooping nose with the weapons on and just the odd way its assembled, it ignores many of the crossovers between airplanes and space fighters that others seem to cling too and goes off on a tangentm its functional and differnt from every angle.
Tardis just for its iconic uniqueness

* 1. There is no one! But I'll say recently Moon and Bladerunner
* 2.Children of men (Very bleak very muted very distopian great characters and intersting story)
* 3.The Thing (Although technically a horror its a great use of a sci-fi element within a movie, the alien drives the story, instead of being a alien that kills people it cause's notible character changes in the people at the base along with very memorable interactions between them. Its also the lone piece of sci-fi in a otherwise normal world and unlike zombies or vapmires is new and origonal making it more invovling and unique)

17. Please List your top 3 Sci-Fi Television Series and describe why: (not in any paticular order)

It can instantly pull you in were others cannot, stories take a while to develop and your sometimes left wanting for a while sci-fi can brindge that gap and make you interested while the story develops, you also have the intrest of worlds similar to your own but slightly different and the idea of complete escapism.

Science Fiction is over used at the expense of story and character development, eg Blade Runner and Empire Strikes Back, both are pretty simple storywise no far reaching doomsday weapons, BR is basically a detective story set in the future and ESB is a character driven story with much less action then most of the other films. Science should be there as an enabler for great story not the story itself really, another good example would be amys choice on the latest series of Doctor Who, set in country village with no great special effects and based around the feelings of two characters about each other and their lives still one of the best episodes I've seen.
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 2:47 pm

PrioryJK wrote:

Blade runner has....?

Erm... Replicants? o.O

Anyway thanks mate, I'd appreciate help and have updated the O.P. accordingly (hopefully simple text shouldn't cause you too much hassle with your mobile internet either!)

I'm text you the details of where the project can be found as its private-access only right now Smile
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Hmmmm.... Will you answer that too, Mr Wolf? ^^, I like this reading: 'tis full of good ideas Razz
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Caryington wrote:
Hmmmm.... Will you answer that too, Mr Wolf? ^^, I like this reading: 'tis full of good ideas Razz

The Questionaire you mean? yeah sure Very Happy

* 1: Starships
* 2: Cybernetics / Robotics
* 3: Aliens
* 4: Time Travel
* 5: Other worlds

* Space opera: (Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon5)

Roy Batty, the Nexus-6 'head' Replicant from the Blade Runner movie. His quest for knowledge and survival is pure, but he struggles with emotions he was never meant to have. Despite finding he cannot win against his fate he even uses his dying energy to save a man who wished him dead, and in so doing gained his own personal redemption and proved his "people" deserved more than the cards fate had dealt them.
Roy Batty is very very closely followed by Elim Garak, the exiled Cardassian spy from Star Trek: Deep Space 9, a guy who's wit is as sharp as his blade. If I had half his eloquence I'd bottle it and sell the damn stuff.

Ideally, I like my Sci-Fi to be a good mix of the two, but if I were forced to choose just one I would go with:

This is because for me the greatest pull of Sci-Fi is exactly the same reason why I like Fantasy: Escapism. Its a different kind of escapism with Sci-Fi, but its no less important in my opinion.

I'm not fond of the overly-simplified villainous meglomaniacs then tend to plague Sci-Fi. To me a proper villain is 'evil' only to those whom they oppose, rather than some tyrannical "bad-guy" such as Ming the Merciless who annoys the crap out of me because he seems to be evil just because "he was bored that day". I much prefer the villains who truly believe what they are doing is the right thing, no matter how misguided, but alas they seem to be few and far between in Sci-Fi these days. It just seems easier to say "this is obviously the bad guy; he has a cape and red eyes and look! a big spikey spaceship".

The Everyman, for sure. Yeah everyone remembers the heroes, but lets be honest they usually have a pretty vital edge that allows them to get by. They're either "the chosen one", or secretly a super-powerful Jedi Master just waiting to be trained. Or they're from a planet that makes them neigh-on invinsible in our world/galaxy/universe until someone discovers a special meteorite that turns them into old age pensioners. Nah, its the "average joe" that I want to see more of in Sci-Fi. A TRUE hero is the one who survives against insane odds with no special powers/allies/abilities to back them up. The Batmans', the Mal Reynolds', the Xander Harris', the Ellen Ripley's. Their achievements are so much the greater because they have no special crutch they can rely on.

Tough one. I'd say most likely Ronon Dex from Stargate: Atlantis. Something really annnoys me about that guy...not sure if its the Actor (I've not seen Jason Momoa in anything else but I sure hope he doesn't screw up the new Conan flick), or just that the character seems really wooden, but it seems his hair is more interesting than his entire character.

8. Do you prefer Humanity in Science Fiction to be: (pick one)[/color]

I can sort of "take it or leave it" because I'm quite happy to accept it as a convenient 'plot device' that gets around the pesky fact that most engines are so slow that people would be dead before they completed most interstellar journeys, but if they do take them out in Sci-Fi I need some sort of explanation as to how they get round the distance thing. I'm pretty fast and loose on it all though, if its "covered" I don't care much about the details, its a means to an end for me.

I'm always happy to see this in Sci-Fi. Body-modding is pretty popular in the 21st century anyway, with regards to cosmetic mods anyway. Tattoos, Piercings, Implants and the like are part of our society now and it makes sense that as technology progresses many of the things we take for granted now will advance with them. Hell, some places in Japan you can already get scannable barcode implants...

Pretty important, I think. Something that can let you know instantly what you're watching/reading/playing. Star Wars without the Force would be only half as great and the film Alien would be kinda sh1t without the Xenomorph in it. That being said its easy for most genres to "fall back" on these features, way too many novels / films have unsuccessfully tried to ride the famous aspects of their predecessors, hoping that 'just being associated with it' means they don't need to worry about a decent plot.

I wouldn't like to choose, I like my Sci-Fi to have loads of both.

4 Geographical / Galactic Exploration
2 Action
3 Scientific / Technological Exploration
1 Romance
5 Story Arc

Aliens...no, robots. No, wait... Aliens. Ah sod it, Alibots Smile

The Shadow Ship from Babylon5. This bad-boy is easily one of the most impressive ships I've seen in anything and yet its actually a really simple design, elegant almost. Like some big freakin' spider looming out of the dark, it overpowers almost everything and then fades away using hit and run tactics. Its like the Assassin of the Starship world.

* 1. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back: If I need to actually say why, you're all in the wrong place Razz In short: its darker, more complex and with better characterisation than any of the other SW films which are also excellent. Its a god among legends.
* 2. Dune: Just pure sci-fi epicness. Grand and elaborate, its vast and fantastical in all the right ways but makes sure it spends time presenting detailed characters which complex relationships. Plus it teaches you how to kill people with a word Smile
* 3. Bladerunner: Dystopia at its finest, this is a deceptively deep cyber-fantasy that looks closely at the human condition and presents it all in a gloomy, neon-lit undercity where people stopped caring long ago. Its attention to detail is staggering and its never 100% clear who you should be rooting for. Pushes all my buttons.

* 1. Babylon5: People either love it or hate it, and I'm one of those who love it. B5 gave me everything Star Trek seemed to be lacking, and was so big in scale that I just couldnt stop watching it. Sure, many people pointed out the similarites between B5 and Lord of the Rings and I don't deny it but thats fine because I like that too. What J. Michael Straczynski may have stolen from Tolkien's work, he further developed on and had a cast of characters who you actually cared what happened to them. Their fates were definately more complex than hinted at in the beginning and it had one of the best villains of all time, Mr Morden (who, if you read some of the novels, find out that he was actually working for the Shadows for very noble reasons)
* 2. Firefly: Oh sweet, sweet Firely. Killed before its time for frankly being just a little too smart for the common American audience, this litte diamond in the rough has some of the best lines in ANY tv series as far as I'm concerned and managed to make me actually enjoy a western for once. With believable characters (ok River Tam is a bit of a stretch, but...) just trying to get by, it fulfills my need for 'Everyman' characters in Sci-Fi and frankly, it was casted to perfection.
* 3. Farscape: Mental and heartfelt, this series pushed the bounderies of Sci-Fi in some truly odd directions but never gave the viewer an easy ride. The first series was a little bit "WTF?!?!" but it rewarded those who stayed faithful to it with an excpetional further 3 series and the totally fantastic 'Peacekeeper Wars' Miniseries. Plus it has that wonderful villain, the "space-nazi" Scorpius, and he's so full of win he could re-write Charlie Sheen's dubstep.

* 1. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?: Read it, just... read it. Be warned, its not Bladerunner, but it IS goddamn fantastic.
* 2. A Stitch In Time: A novel descrbing the life and times of Star Trek: Deep Space 9's resident Tailor, Double Agent, Assassin and Spy, Elim Garrak. Written by the actor of the character (Andrew J. Robinson), its a facinating read which breathes even more life into an already very colourful character.
* 3. The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy: One of those books I can just read and re-read, its a dose of much-needed comedy in an otherwise often over-serious genre and it does it with such natural whimsy that it makes it a true joy to read.

Escapism and the promise of a better future, I think. Sure I love the ray guns, the aliens, the exotic worlds and the super-fast star ships, but its what they represent that gets me nerd-happy. The possibility that the future will be better than what we have now and, if that can never come to pass then the option to 'pretend' to such an extent that its like a second life; well you can't say fairer than that!

Quite a few things actually, which is a bit odd considering how much I sing praises for the genre in general. What annoys me most though is "pasty-headed-alien syndrome". If you've never heard this term before, it means a vast array of "almost human" aliens with very slight cosmetical differences which tend to be used almost exlusively in visual media such as TV and film. Star Trek is paticularly guilty of this, with races like Vulcans (Humans+ear props), Bajorans (Humans with wrinkled noses) and Klingons (Humans with pasties on their heads), but many others are just as guilty. The fact that others alien life will be Humanoid is one hell of an assumption, but many novellists and screenwriters go for it because its the easy option, which unfortunately tends to 'humanise' the alien involved, which is missing the point of them entirely.
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyThu May 05, 2011 4:08 am

I've created a Facebook page for this now, to allow quick and easy updates for people willing to help me.

I'f you've not gotten an invite to this but would like one, please PM and I'll sort that out.

Also I've created my first promotional poster which I've included here.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Lunarwolf on Thu May 05, 2011 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyThu May 05, 2011 1:40 pm

And what about publicly begging? will that get me a group invite too? ><'
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyThu May 05, 2011 2:18 pm

Caryington wrote:
And what about publicly begging? will that get me a group invite too? ><'

Normally yes....if I'd not already invited you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyThu May 05, 2011 2:34 pm

You know me I jumped on the first opportunity to complain before even checking if I was invited or not Razz

Anyway nice work there... I'll gladly write an episode for you at some point (but not now as I'm restarting something new here, not to mention my translation that needs to be done ><')
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am

aaaaaaaaaaaaand It's away!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)   Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread) Empty

Back to top Go down

Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Page 1 of 1