The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b10Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b11Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b10Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b11Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b12 
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b1065%Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b106%Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b1018%Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b106%Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b100%Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings

Go down 
+7
Tando
PrioryJK
Lunarwolf
Black Heart
Godjera
Harlequin2
Sureshot
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Empty
PostSubject: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 3:25 am

I wanted to broach the subject but I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes (Boss) Very Happy . Do we have any consensus of what sort of flavour the guild name-to-be should have.

I’ve been thinking on it and I recon there are 3 paths to go down, each with their advantages and disadvantages.

Option 1: Something Hitman-like that reflects what were all about. This will drum up business but could brandish us as dark Sith sympathisers for Republicans to avoid and might have put off some of our characters from getting involved in the guild in the first place.

Option 2: Something benign and Republic sounding. This could represent our official business front and help us gel with the game but will require a more effort to build up a dodgey rep.

Option 3: Something made up that means nothing and has no baggage. This will leave us to interact with players without preconception on their part but again will require more advertising.

What do we think? Question
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 6:01 am

Yup, I have a fair idea of the sort of name I'm after. What I'm more than likely going to do is wait 'til we have more information on the bounty hunting etc factions of that time, and then work around that. Obviously I don't want to make the mistake of choosing a name and then not have it fit in with the timeline or lore. For example I've already seen a guild calling themselves 'The Exchange' which to me is ridiculous. For one theres a good chance that the Exchange don't even exist at this time because the Hutts would've removed them, and secondly if they do make an appearance for whatever reason in TOR then that guild are going to feel a bit stupid! I've got a weird feeling we're going to see a new crime syndicate run by the Hutts in this game, and after I saw the Nal Hutta update I'm convinced even more.

I'm hoping that we get information soon, and then what I'll probably do is give everyone a list to choose from. The one that gets the most votes wins.

These options are really good though Redwatch and thanks for the input. I quite like the idea of having a name that has a fair bit of mystery & intrigue behind it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Number of posts : 1887
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 8:52 am

Good ideas Redwatch! I personally go with something along the lines of "The Grey Syndicate", indicating we're dirty and dealing, but morally and factionally grey (if they even means anything).
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 9:04 am

Harlequin2 wrote:
Good ideas Redwatch! I personally go with something along the lines of "The Grey Syndicate", indicating we're dirty and dealing, but morally and factionally grey (if they even means anything).

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the name "Grey Syndicate" cause to me I think that sounds like it might attract people planning on playing Gray Jedi or to others it might suggest that we are a guild made up of them. Also I think the Exodus Syndicate have already taken the 'syndicate' term and put it into thier title, so I want ours to be something completely different.
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 9:15 am

Ok, so that's cleaned away... *Drops 'Grey Syndicate' into a bin*

How about:
1) House Marsar
2) Dread Corps
3) House Verler

Something to do with House ______, like traditional Bounty Hunter Guilds...
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 9:21 am

As I say I'll give you a list of names when I've decided on a few. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 11:05 am

Sureshot wrote:
As I say I'll give you a list of names when I've decided on a few. Wink

Can we have say one suggestion each to add to the hat?
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 11:41 am

Suggestions are always welcome of course and I am taking note here so don't worry, but in the end as I've started the guild I have full say on what the final name is, and I also will be giving you a list to choose from. If I think the name doesn't express the guild in the manner that I think it should then obviously I won't accept it.

Hope you understand where I'm coming from anyway and keep those ideas coming! Smile
Back to top Go down
Godjera
Registered
Registered
Godjera

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 12:29 pm

I think it would be cool to have a cover name e.g.

1) Space Tech Industries
2) Parsec Freighter Company
3) Lightspeed Contractors
Back to top Go down
Black Heart
Registered
Registered
Black Heart

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 2:11 pm

Godjera wrote:

1) Space Tech Industries

It would be cool to have a cover name. But I'd also like a name that clearly defines who we are and what we do because that would make gaining allies easier. I think the more allies we have the more fun we'll have in game, IC and OOC. We'll talk about it when we get more information. Until then, keep thinking.
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 8:50 am

Those cover names are good ones, I personally like "something" Contractors, maybe "Space Corps Contractors" I can just imagine some guy quaking in fear "Oh no! The SCC!"
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 8:58 am

Black Heart wrote:
Godjera wrote:

1) Space Tech Industries

It would be cool to have a cover name. But I'd also like a name that clearly defines who we are and what we do because that would make gaining allies easier. I think the more allies we have the more fun we'll have in game, IC and OOC. We'll talk about it when we get more information. Until then, keep thinking.

I completely agree with Black Heart on this one, and to add to what he's said, we won't need a cover name because a lot of our work is legitimate and above board. For example the Galactic Trade Commission is a cover name but I think if you do have a cover name then it can confuse people as to what the guild actually entails.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 11:49 am

Well. I´ve an idea for a name, But it is abit. well... You guys wont probaly like it Razz

But here we go, Blood Serpents Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 10:00 am

Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Toysru11

How 'bout this?
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 11:00 am

Redwatch wrote:
Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Toysru11

How 'bout this?

LMAO!!!!
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 12:34 pm

That would work... if this wasn't an RP guild Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 2:50 pm

Now as i posted on the guild structure thread i'll try to add something to the name thread.

As i posted i think of this group as a band of mercs working for one employer. We will be working in the Galactic republic(?). Right? So first thing we need to think about when naming is... how do we want to look to the outside world? Do we want to sound scary? shady? corny? or maybe "legal and serious"?Smile

What i would propose is to employ a name that looks safe to the outside world as a "disguise". Sure we will play illegally... but we will do it in GR and we surely don't want the attention of the policing authorities right? And probably many of our employers would want to escape such risks to... Why not mask ourselves as a normal company? (i know GTC employs similar ideas but still) Like a security force? Bodyguard firm?

Now.. Syndicate or Corporation is a big name. Megalomaniac a bit to me...

So how about something like this...

"InterG Security Firm"?

"Green Star Security Company" ?

I hope you get my drift. I just feel like Keeping a face for the legal GR world feels more real.... as a security/ merc company we can do legal work... but under the table doing allot more.
Back to top Go down
Godjera
Registered
Registered
Godjera

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 3:30 pm

Something with "Contracters" in the name might work due to the fact we take contracts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 10:52 am

Been wracking my brain (flogging a dead donkey more like) trying to come up with some ideas for a guild name that sings, dances and does the nasty Wink which we can all get behind.

I agree that an acronym always sounds good and the coolest and most well known are usually 3 letter. CIA, FBI, MOD, MI5 etc. Problem is I think this is a likely path for a lot of guilds to go down and considering how popular we know swtor will become, we could easily end up bumping into another guild (or official BioWare game content) with the same acronym. My answer: more letters the lower chance of duplication. And so I give you (with disposable cheesey tag-lines)…

Coalition of Diverse Experts: CODEX
“We didn’t just write the book, we are the book.”

Transgalactic Exigence & Logistical Intercession Corporation: TELIC
“Bringing interdisciplinary expertise to bear on your problems.”
Or sub "Transgalactic" for "Trade" if that sounds too Futurama. ((Aaaaand from the dictionary and hinting at a story arc for the guild: telic (TEL-ik, TEE-lik) adjective. Tending toward a goal; expressing purpose.))

I prefer the sound of these cos it’s not “the CIA” or “the MOD” but just CODEX or TELIC. As in “What’s TELIC’s involvement in all this?” or “We’re here from CODEX”. It sort of anthropomorphosises the guild which I like.

And my mashed up one…

Mal Eidoss. ((“Mal” from the prefix meaning “bad” or “badly” (malnourish, malcontent ect) and “Eidos” (AHY-dos) meaning “the formal content of a culture, encompassing its system of ideas, criteria for interpreting experience, etc.”. Pretty dark but it sounds Star-Wars-ie, like Mos Eisley. Smile

*nods*

There.

And well done if you got to the end of this brian-dump! Razz
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 11:20 am

Those last three posts really made me think and they are all good comments.

I have to say, I really like the name CODEX and I'm not 100% sure why, which is making me like it all the more. Maybe its something to do with the impression it gives off (being a mixture of professional, sinister, militarian and efficient), or it could be something more subconscious.

Not sure.

Really like it though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Godjera
Registered
Registered
Godjera

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 4:24 pm

I love CODEX and the slogan. Made me laugh a bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 5:21 pm

Codex- Sounds good and it fits. I'm all for it.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 5:30 am

Right I've been giving some thoughts about this but I'd like to share them with you. I like most other people really like the the name Coalition of Diverse Expertise, cause it really does sound great to my ears. However I wasn't that keen on the name being C.O.D.Ex. I was chatting with Black Heart about this and the "X" on the end didn't make a lot of sense to me and it seemed a bit to Warhammer 40k for my liking.

So I have a proposal for people:

It's now looking very likely that there will be 2 departments and I'm sorry if people feel like this a bad route to take, but I think we've actually covered every base area so it could work. The addition of Ventrilo will help matters considerablty so communication won't be a problem. Anyway this isn't the place to be discussing this because it's off-topic but it was necessary so I can explain the next part about naming.

As I say I think Colaition of Diverse Expertise is a great name and the only one that I think I would like this guild to be called other than what Harly suggested about having us as "House *something*". As I've previously mentioned, I'm 98% percent leaning toward the 2 factions idea, so here are my thoughts on what the final names could be:

Overall guild name: COALITION OF DIVERSE EXPERTS
Sith Department: C.O.D.E RED
Republic Department: C.O.D.E BLUE

There is reason I've chosen both names for the departments too. Generally "code blue" is a reference to a medical emergency in RL terms, but it can be also used as a term for support in general. Obviously the majority of the republic characters are more light-sided in this guild, and I thought that they'll more than likely be undertaking the "Protection" jobs.

The reason for a the Sith side being called C.O.D.E Red is simple really. "Code Red" simply refers to 'A serious threat' or a 'threat that needs adressing as soon as possible'. Obviously this suits the Sith characters down to the ground.

So how does this fair with everyone? I've tried to come to compromise as best I can. Smile

As a side note I would still prefer to wait because something in the Lore may blow our minds away. Still, at the minute thats what I'm happy with the most.

Last edited by Sureshot on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 8:24 am

CODE. I can see the compromise and it's a fairly neat one. A couple of thoughts about it are I would miss the 'X'. An 'X' is cool and sexy (notice how there's an 'x' in "sexy"^^). And the word 'codex' isn't used in many every day conversation so it stands out and will make people immediately think of us whereas 'code' is a very commonly used word in a sci-fi setting. It's not... special. Just my opinion.

But I like the 'Code Red/Code Blue' internal short-hand for situation responses. Though thinking about it, it might make republic-only members a little a little resentful - like they can't handle a 'code red' situation (in the traditional sense of the term). But it could lead to rp fun with banter between the 'wimp-squad' and the the 'red-handkerchief brigade'!

Just a final quick question about semantics re: experts/expertise...
Sureshot wrote:
Overall guild name: COALITION OF DIVERSE EXPERTISE

Intangibles such as data and ideas can be collated but can groups of things such as skill sets be called a coalition? Doesn't a coalition refer to people or a body representing peoples? I don't have the answer and it's a small point but we want to get it right. Cool
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 8:41 am

Redwatch wrote:
CODE. I can see the compromise and it's a fairly neat one. A couple of thoughts about it are I would miss the 'X'. An 'X' is cool and sexy (notice how there's an 'x' in "sexy"^^). And the word 'codex' isn't used in many every day conversation so it stands out and will make people immediately think of us whereas 'code' is a very commonly used word in a sci-fi setting. It's not... special. Just my opinion.

Well I wasn't thinking about having the main name abbriviated to just letters. So when we're promoting for example we'll use the full name Coalition of Diverse Experts. If we want to abbreviate it for chatting about the guild then C.O.D.E is no different than saying the GTC for Galactic Trade Commission I guess. I do see what you're saying about the "x" but I still have thoughts about 40k. One guild have already had people mentioning the 40k refernce to their guild because their name is the Imperial Guard. Ideally I wouldn't want the same to happen us.

Quote :

But I like the 'Code Red/Code Blue' internal short-hand for situation responses. Though thinking about it, it might make republic-only members a little a little resentful - like they can't handle a 'code red' situation (in the traditional sense of the term). But it could lead to rp fun with banter between the 'wimp-squad' and the the 'red-handkerchief brigade'!

Well the Code Blue idea is really the only solution that I can think of. Generally its a means of support which is quite "Heroic" in its own right.

Quote :
Just a final quick question about semantics re: experts/expertise...
Sureshot wrote:
Overall guild name: COALITION OF DIVERSE EXPERTISE

Intangibles such as data and ideas can be collated but can groups of things such as skill sets be called a coalition? Doesn't a coalition refer to people or a body representing peoples? I don't have the answer and it's a small point but we want to get it right. Cool

Yeppers you're right, sorry. I hadn't had enough caffeine at that point so my mind wasn't on track! LOL apologies for that! Laughing

*RUNS OFF TO EDIT POST*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings   Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings Empty

Back to top Go down

Guild Name: Thoughts & Feelings
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next