The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
Ventrilo Server EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
Ventrilo Server EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Ventrilo Server EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
Ventrilo Server EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
Ventrilo Server EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
Ventrilo Server EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
Ventrilo Server EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
Ventrilo Server EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
Ventrilo Server EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
Ventrilo Server Vote_b10Ventrilo Server Vote_b11Ventrilo Server Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
Ventrilo Server Vote_b1065%Ventrilo Server Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
Ventrilo Server Vote_b106%Ventrilo Server Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
Ventrilo Server Vote_b1018%Ventrilo Server Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
Ventrilo Server Vote_b100%Ventrilo Server Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

Ventrilo Server

Go down 
+5
Godjera
Commander Nord
Sureshot
Lunarwolf
Black Heart
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Black Heart
Registered
Registered
Black Heart

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 8:57 pm

Oi! Hey all! I just set up a ventrilo server and am going to keep it online as often as I possibly can. Log on whenever. If you need the client it go to the official Ventrilo site and download the client application. The details for the server are as follows.

Type these where appropriate after clicking the arrow near Server, after making your username.

Hostname/Server IP: 76.23.220.190

Port: 3784

Password: agency

If anyone can't get on it's because I'm yet to make a user account for you. Just send me a PM and let me know, it will be immediately ratified. Here's a guide if anyone needs help. Can't wait to meet you all on there.

Last edited by Black Heart on Fri May 29, 2009 8:00 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 8:50 am

Why has nobody replied to this?

Oh yeah its cos we read this and went off to do it.... then forgot to come back here and post! well, not this time - I'm posting before proceeding Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 9:06 am

Yeah! I'll be there fo sho!
Back to top Go down

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 9:15 am

Maybe we should get this topic moved to gulid discussions? I know nothing of the Ventriloquism voodoo which you speak, but with the above info can't any old wierdo crash the party?
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 9:24 am

Hopefully just US weirdos Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Black Heart
Registered
Registered
Black Heart

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 9:29 am

Redwatch wrote:
Maybe we should get this topic moved to gulid discussions? I know nothing of the Ventriloquism voodoo which you speak, but with the above info can't any old wierdo crash the party?

You make a good point, Redwatch, but I put it up here so that GTC and Praxeum blokes could come on as well. I could just post in the GTC and Praxeum sections of the forums and then have SS move this topic to guild discussions. I'll let him make the call.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 11:05 am

Oooo I must've missed this post! Sorry mate! Embarassed

Thanks so much for setting this up mate. All I need now is a working mic and I can use it!

p.s. I'll move this now Redwatch.
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
Black Heart
Registered
Registered
Black Heart

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 11:36 am

For some reason no one's been able to connect to the server. Is anyone willing to try hosting the server? PM me and I'll send you a guide to setting one up.

Edit: Just found a setting that puts a limit of "pingrate" at 10. I don't know if that implies that one's ping rate has to be lower than 10 to enter one of these free servers. I didn't see that mentioned anywhere but I wouldn't doubt it. If so, what's the point of giving the option of a free server? Whatever. This might not be as easy as I thought. Any help is appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
Black Heart
Registered
Registered
Black Heart

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 1:04 pm

Hate to double post but I set up a port forwarding application for my router and I was wondering if anyone could try to log in and tell me if it worked. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 1:29 pm

I've gotten a little further (as in, a new error message) - don't know if this helps?

" The HOSTNAME for the selected server could not be resolved to an IP address. The hostname was either entered incorrectly or the DNS servers for the specified domain might be offline. "
Back to top Go down
Black Heart
Registered
Registered
Black Heart

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 6:10 am

Huzzah! With much help from LW and Aliendra we got the server up and running, I've posted a new server IP at the top because that changed. Come on whenever y'all want to.

Edit: Sureshot, do you want to tell GTC and other allies about the server? The server can only hold eight people but there are also some great people and great friends in the other guilds. It's your call, Chief.

Last edited by Black Heart on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 6:15 am

Woot! Works looovely it does.

Also as an added bonus I don't have a mic yet so you're all saved from my horrid voice a while longer Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 7:31 am

You guys seem pretty excited about this Ventrilo thing. I've not been in on the chatbox discussions about this and haven't got a clue what it's all about, so for my sake (and anyone else in the same boat) can someone please explain how you see it being used here?

Cheers. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 7:53 am

Well, there are a few uses:

1. We can use it as an alternative to Forum RP (not a replacement mind you, I luuuurve the forum rps), primarily because people noticed us spending LOTS of time in the chatbox which (though nice for a natter) could easily be used to engage in meaningful rp.

2. It would be possible to use this in-game when SWTOR comes out, like an OOC channel when we are in-game roleplaying. Saves us having to type "((OOC: BRB, bio-break))"

3. We all want to hear each others scratchy odd voices.
Back to top Go down

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 9:03 am

Yowza! Great that it finally works! I'm off to visit with my new shiny headphones!
Back to top Go down

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 10:14 am

((This quote's from the new thread on this BH has posted but I didn't want to **** all over the hard work he's done pulling it together by posting this there.))

Black Heart wrote:
I expect Ventrilo to be a useful application for this guild for one simple reason: it will bring the guild closer together.

I think Ventrilo's a good idea in principle and another place to lark about in and build on friendships. But I can't help but feel you guys are steamrollering ahead with this and should apply the breaks a bit. I see I'm going to have to play devil's advocate here...

What about our current and future members who's first language isn't English? We're a European guild and I'm worried that voice-chat might highlight language barriers. At least with text you can cut and paste it into a dictionary. And there are folks who avoid live-chat for other personal reasons (embarrassment being one or disability another).
Following on from that I think this could well lead to the formation of an elite clique within the guild - unintentionally of course. The people who don't want to do live chat end up getting left out of incidental discussions or ideas that might have small influences on attitudes with the guild. I somehow don't think reading the minutes will compensate for being there if something big does get discussed (people who won't join live-chat have a chance of popping into the chatbox should something catch their eye there).
And mightn't this lead to a 'boring-down' of the rest of the forum? If we're all chatting away stuff on there why post on the forum? Or worse yet, wierd random posts and in-jokes referecning voice-chats take over further isolating non-user members and forum visitors.

I know I'm all doom and gloom but has anyone discussed the negatives of this?

So there I go again. Buzzkill Redwatch. Razz
The forum as it stands is universally inclusive. People can read the posts, watch the chatbox and join in if they want, or pm each other.

I only want what's best for the whole guild. Are we sure that this is?
Back to top Go down

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 10:31 am

Well...

First of all I'm Polish.... And i'm on that chat speaking english. Seriously if one can write it one can speak it to a degree. I mean thin of the educational value! Razz

But jokes aside. I can understand your concerns. But its like saying "We cannot have the chatbox because weird inside jokes will appear and some of our members aren't good enough in english to write "faster" posts chatbox requires. Also the difference of time doesn't let them meet up and talk with us." Seriously... You cannot and shouldn't take care of everyones frigin feelings in the universe. Its not your job.

Its not something mandatory to join either the chabox or the vent. But one should expect that people that WANT to get closer to each other and talk will be closer... Things will be talked in the chatbox and in the vent. Some will miss it. Some won't get the later inside jokes. Thats how things work!

Its only natural that new members of the guild feel a bit intimidated at the start because all older members are without saying a "elite clique"... Thats not something one can avoid.

And your a real buzzkill sometimes. Mr Buzzkillington.
Back to top Go down
Black Heart
Registered
Registered
Black Heart

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 10:55 am

I have to agree with Aliendra. Unspoken cliques are inevitable, we can try as hard as we can to not have people feel ostracized but no matter what, interacting like we do, friendships are bound to be made that incite envy in others without it.

And you make a lot of good points but there's very few reasons why anyone should elect not to come onto the server. English may not be some people's first language and they may have a difficult time speaking it, but if there's ever something they don't understand--like you pointed out with copy and pasting--no one should be afraid to ask, we'll all be fine with it. And accents and embarrassment (for whatever reason) shouldn't exist because there's no one that will ever think of it. We're all just guildmates and we're all looking for relatively the same thing. No one's better than another and "The Golden Rule" is truly natural here because we're all on the same page and we all connect. And rather than our differences being shied away from, because that just could make bigger rifts between us, we should embrace those differences because the better we know each other the closer we become.

Aliendra and I have been sitting on Vent for an hour or so and it's been great.
Back to top Go down

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 11:16 am

Aliendra wrote:
Seriously... You cannot and shouldn't take care of everyones frigin feelings in the universe. Its not your job.

That's where we differ. I see it as everybody's job.

But I take both of your points. I can see Ventrilo is happening anyway and it's totally down to the individual to choose to be a part of it. I just wanted to make sure everyone had considered the ramifications on the rest of the guild.

And although there are obvious similarities between Vent and the chatbox, those who choose not to join Vent for whatever reason (which may seem dumb to us are valid to them, esp. in the case of disabilities (@Aliendra- there I go again trying to take care of everyone! lol)) still have the chance of joining in with the chatbox because it's incorporated into the homepage, viewable and open to everyone.

And although cliques are inevitable and already forming and you can talk about embracing differences and coming closer together, but I worry that this will build walls.

I'm just repeating myself here, so I'll shut up now.

Buzzkillington signing off. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 11:30 am

Good points all, but I'd just like to clear things up a bit.

Firstly, if you check out the guild rules I've mentioned that we are an english speaking guild so thats the language we'll be using both on Ventrilo and on the various chat boxes. Secondly it's true, 'cliques' are a simple fact of gaming. Personally I think you get them forming with or without voice chat. For example in my old guild, I preffered to play with the players that could talk about how to solve the games problems without it turning into a shouting match! This was mainly because I prefer that kind of a playstyle. Loud mouths are a big no-no for me and shouting at players generally gets you nowhere I find. But anyway I'm digressing.

All in all I think Ventrilo or any in-game voice communication software geneerally has more advantages than disadvantages. It's so much easier when you're in that important raid and you can just talk rather than having to type. As for the forum, I've also stated in the rules that I want players that are active both in and out of the forums, so no need to worry there. If people start getting slack I'll start removing them. Plus as a roleplay guild I hope to see our stories and guild RP continue and its also very useful for the people creating the RP to see how a character is developing.

Hope thats cleared it up a bit anyway.

p.s. I'll probably add some new rules to the site as well with voice chat communication in mind. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 11:37 am

Redwatch wrote:

And although there are obvious similarities between Vent and the chatbox, those who choose not to join Vent for whatever reason (which may seem dumb to us are valid to them, esp. in the case of disabilities (@Aliendra- there I go again trying to take care of everyone! lol)) still have the chance of joining in with the chatbox because it's incorporated into the homepage, viewable and open to everyone.

Aye definitely I 100% agree. Vents not for everyones taste I understand, but we'll more than likely be using every type of communication possible anyway. We have to allow for those that havent got a mic etc too (i.e. me!). Laughing
Back to top Go down
Black Heart
Registered
Registered
Black Heart

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 11:44 am

For the record, not everyone that's on Ventrilo has to talk, Aliendra and I are on Vent and also on Chatbox so someone could just type on there and not have to talk. Just an invitation.
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 12:44 am

Well I cant talk on it anyway right now because I'm without a mic!

@ Red: Nice to see you playing 'Devil's Advocate', never a safe option but I can more than understand your concerns. Heck, I'm all for Vent but was going to post something very similar to you anyway just to make sure people saw both sides of the situation.....and you beat me to it, so well done for sticking your neck out Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Commander Nord
Freelancer
Freelancer

Number of posts : 1761
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 4:04 am

i cant talk either, iam without a mic to, but i will buy some next week and i have no problem to speak english
Back to top Go down

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 3:33 am

Ok... This ventrilo thing is for the guild!

It means there should be more then me and BH there.. c'mon people! If you don't like your voice or are ashamed i recommend http://www.audio4fun.com/ voice changer software.(You can get it on torrents...) You can be a girl, guy, chimpmunk or vader if you so choose. No need to be scared or ashamed. My accent sucks! Ask BH! Still we are able to communicate without a problem at all!

We just want to talk to you guys. C'mon it'll be fun^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ventrilo Server Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo Server   Ventrilo Server Empty

Back to top Go down

Ventrilo Server
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next