The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b10Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b11Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b10Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b11Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b12 
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b1065%Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b106%Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b1018%Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b100%Justice System in the Galaxy? Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

Justice System in the Galaxy?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
WildWallace
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Justice System in the Galaxy? Empty
PostSubject: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 6:31 am

In the Star Wars Universe you have the established political order (the Republic, Empire, etc.) and then you have the 'peacekeepers' (the Jedi) but I have been thinking about this for a few days now. In the SWU, is there an established 'court' of criminal justice? Is there an 'insanity plea' (this answer is particularly important to me)?

It's things like this that I need answered due to the first chapter of my character's story I'd like to tell and center around the idea of an insane asylum. Now, sure, it could be a kill-on-sight order but it's evidently not. How are crimes that are not Jedi- or Sith-related treated and dealt with in the Star Wars Universe?

Thanks... Smile
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 7:07 am

I'll have a root about for you on Wookiepedia, Wallace as I myself have come across this question whilst doing research my new Bounty Hunter Character story. In the end BioWare made my job a lot easier by mentioning this little snippet about Belsavis (where my character is currently imprisoned):

Quote :
Fifty years ago, while investigating the planet’s tropical rifts that seemed to defy the ice shelves in completely unnatural ways, Republic scientists stumbled upon an ancient prison constructed by the Rakatan Empire. Behind the force fields and ultra hard metals were the most terrifying prisoners in the galaxy. Republic efforts to explore and secure the dilapidated network of vaults were impeded by ferocious alien species, and nearly unstoppable droids.

Realizing it was only a matter of time before the vaults and stasis chambers containing the worst of these prisoners failed, the Republic committed a force to maintain the complex, and establish a new Republic prison on Belsavis’ unused surface. In secret Strategic Information Service meetings it was decided that this new prison, dubbed “the Tomb”, was only to be used in cases where execution was impractical or impossible.

Looking upon the planet details more I also noticed this:

Quote :
STATUS
Following the Chaos of an Imperial Prison Break Initiative, the Republic is Striving to Restore Order.

This in particluar has pretty much set up my characters backstory. All I'm waiting for now is a bit more information so I don't mess too much with the canon.

But back to your original point, I was actually wondering how the justice system worked as I was going to add it into my story but I've since abandoned the idea.

EDIT: I've had a look around and all I can really find about the Justice System is this:

Quote :
The Court of Justice, or High Court, was the Supreme Court and judicial department of the New Republic and Galactic Alliance.

It can be possible that, like its predecessor, the Court was held in the Galactic Courts of Justice Building. The members of the Court of Justice were selected by the Senate Justice Council from a list of nominees presented by the Chief of State. The First Justice was head of the Court, and was elected by the other members of the Court from among their numbers, of which were addressed as "Your Honor(s)".

Nominally independent, the power of the Court of Justice was limited by its narrowly defined jurisdiction: to review charges of violations of the Charter by members of the other branches of the New Republic's government. The Court of Justice did not serve as the court of last appeal for ordinary civil and criminal cases; those were settled by local judicial authorities on member worlds.

Theala Vandron Jr. was called before the Court to answer charges relating to slavery on Karfeddion.

Under the Galactic Alliance, the Court of Justice was given further powers and made truly independent of Senate authority, though it is likely that their members were still confirmed by the Senate.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Court_of_Justice

and...

Quote :
The Justice Council was the council of the Senate charged with judicial matters in the New Republic and the Galactic Alliance. The Justice Council was also tasked with approving nominees to the Court of Justice made by the Chief of State. Internally, it also ruled on legal charges made against members of the Senate. The Chair of the Justice Council was a member of the Ruling Council, and was also the Minister of Justice.

Borsk Fey'lya served as Chair of the Justice Council during the Yevethan Purge and Caamas Document crisis. After he was elected Chief of State, Ta'laam Ranth became Chair of the Justice Council.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Justice_Council

If any of this actually applies to Old Republic times I have no idea but I'm sure you can work ways around it. Hope thats helped a little bit anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
WildWallace
Agent
Agent

PostSubject: Re: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 7:18 am

So you have no idea if there's a judicial system in place? This either restricts what I can do a lot or it gives me some artistic license... Left hanging a little here. What's your opinion on an insane asylum in the SWU?

Also, I genuinely did forget that there are alien species bound to be in prisons, also. That's the main issue I face, I sometimes mix it up with reality. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 7:22 am

Haha!

Yeah I'd say this gives you a bit of artistic license as by the looks of things it hasn't really been covered according to Wookieepedia. In my honest opinion, if there weren't Insane Asylums in an advanced civilizations such as the Sith Empire or the Galactic Republic then I'd want to know why!
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 7:29 am

I think but there is nothing to proove my theory being right or wrong that Justice is handled in a federal fashion just alike in US: each planet is a state with its own rules and justice system yet there is a galactic justice system for galactic crimes. Once more I think US is a very good comparison with the polices for state cases and FBI for the federal ones.

I hope I'm clear on that explanation and I'm sure there is no precise answer in that question so you can improvise a few.
Back to top Go down
http://soude.forumactif.com/
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:24 am

By the way do you mind if I move this topic to the Help Topics & Links section Wallace?
Back to top Go down
WildWallace
Agent
Agent

PostSubject: Re: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 11:36 am

You're the Admin; where you think it fits best is where it should go. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 11:38 am

Cool. thanks mate.
Back to top Go down
Jokoro
Registered
Registered
Jokoro

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 4:54 pm

The justice system of the galaxy: my blaster.
Back to top Go down
WildWallace
Agent
Agent

PostSubject: Re: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm sure the galaxy tremors beneath it.
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Jokoro wrote:
Actually the justice is the Fallen, we're just executioner of decision coming from above ^^,
Back to top Go down
http://soude.forumactif.com/
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? EmptySat May 29, 2010 5:44 am

Soude wrote:
Jokoro wrote:
Actually the justice is the Fallen, we're just executioner of decision coming from above ^^,

Damn straight!! Falleen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Justice System in the Galaxy?   Justice System in the Galaxy? Empty

Back to top Go down

Justice System in the Galaxy?
Page 1 of 1