The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
"MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
"MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
"MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
"MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
"MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
"MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
"MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
"MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
"MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b10"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b11"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b10"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b11"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b12 
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b1065%"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b106%"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b1018%"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b106%"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b100%"MMO Development at Light Speed" Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

"MMO Development at Light Speed"

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

"MMO Development at Light Speed" Empty
PostSubject: "MMO Development at Light Speed"   "MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 9:42 am

For those of you who are interested, (and to help add some weight to the 'the game may be nearer than we think' theory) I thought I would share this link to

Hero Engine

The 3dfx engine being used by BioWare Austin to create TOR. As you can see, by using a pre-existing 3dfx engine they are shaving prescious months (years?) off the development process leaving them room to concentrate more on creating storyline, quests and making the game their own!

"It enabled us to build a game from scratch very quickly. We were able to exercise our design ideas almost immediately, without a need to wait on engine development."
Bill Dalton,
Technical Director of BioWare
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Number of posts : 1887
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: "MMO Development at Light Speed"   "MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 10:14 am

Interesting find there L-Dubz. Although perhaps a topic better posted in the 'links' thread, I praise your initiative. Nice read too...

While we're here though, do developers make their own engines, do seperate groups/buisnesses create their own or do the publishers of said game?
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: "MMO Development at Light Speed"   "MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 10:19 am

Harlequin2 wrote:
Interesting find there L-Dubz. Although perhaps a topic better posted in the 'links' thread, I praise your initiative. Nice read too...

Yeah I thought about putting it in "links" but thought it was more classified as "TOR Discussion" that just happened to include a link.

Seeing this, I wonder how more ready that we first thought BioWare actually is?
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

Number of posts : 2575
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: "MMO Development at Light Speed"   "MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 10:40 am

Harlequin2 wrote:

While we're here though, do developers make their own engines, do seperate groups/buisnesses create their own or do the publishers of said game?

~That sentence is hard to make sense of Razz
Well I don't know the percentage but i think alot make their own specifically built for their own game especially if it is a specilist game ie with VERY high graphics (the crysis engine) or large enviroments.
However there are companies that make engines and development tools for companies to use in their games, the best example would be the unreal engine which is used to power Unreal tournament and bunch of other games (maybe GoW) the benifits are that you can make a game alot quicker and with alot less potential problems than making your own engine.
you also have smaller engines that can work with other larger ones to implement gameplay mechanics that are hard to program, for instance the Havoc which is very commenly used in many games to give objects realistics physics, a very good engine what saves devs alot of time.
Back to top Go down
nosyd
Freelancer
Freelancer
nosyd

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: "MMO Development at Light Speed"   "MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 1:51 pm

I was looking at the Hero Engine website a few days ago and found it really interesting. I was wondering to myself how much a company like Bioware/EA would pay to use such a thing. Bet it's a lot of money.

I have had a feeling now for quite a while that the game is nearer than we think, but a company like Bioware could just take a lifetime to polish a game.
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

Number of posts : 2575
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: "MMO Development at Light Speed"   "MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 2:00 pm

Nosyd wrote:
I was looking at the Hero Engine website a few days ago and found it really interesting. I was wondering to myself how much a company like Bioware/EA would pay to use such a thing. Bet it's a lot of money.

I have had a feeling now for quite a while that the game is nearer than we think, but a company like Bioware could just take a lifetime to polish a game.
Well blizzard are worse, i remember Starcraft: ghost was in development for so long it just got axed or what about valve :p
Back to top Go down
zoran
Registered
Registered
zoran

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: "MMO Development at Light Speed"   "MMO Development at Light Speed" EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Nosyd wrote:

Well the game has been in development for 4-5 years now, and since this Hero Engine speeds up the process alot, i would not be surprised if the game was released later this year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "MMO Development at Light Speed"   "MMO Development at Light Speed" Empty

Back to top Go down

"MMO Development at Light Speed"
Page 1 of 1