The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b10Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b11Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b10Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b11Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b12 
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b1065%Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b106%Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b1018%Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b106%Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b100%Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Empty
PostSubject: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Ok, so I've been chatting with a couple of members about this already, but this idea of 2 guilds for each faction is appealing to me the more I think about it. Anyway I thought I'd share my thoughts on it:

Basics

The 2 guilds (or departments) although seperated by faction, will be part of the same network which for now we will call "Blasters For Hire". Both guilds will operate on this forum and I will designate an area here for each department where they can communicate.

Recruitment

The guild will no doubt need to recruit new members into each guild when people either leave, get removed or stop playing the game. This is fine as long as it stays small and to the 20 member limit per department, per faction. I may raise this at a later date depending on what the game requires to complete certain tasks. Obviously we'll have more members in the end but it will still be 20 members in our Sith and Republic departments. I fully understand that not everyone wants to play on the Sith side with an alt and vice versa, so if you'd prefer to stay in one faction with one character then of course thats absolutely fine.

Heirarchy

This one was bugging me for a bit but I think i've found a solution. Obviously it's going to be tricky for me to run 2 guilds so what I suggest is having 2 department leaders directly underneath me that will run their factions guild, which pretty much makes them guild leaders in thier own right. They would have all the rights of a guild leader as well and it also gives more people the opportunity to move up the chain of command. Both of these department leaders would also have thier own officer below them that would help them in their tasks. I would still like to use the democratic approach as to who gets elected and as I think thats a fair way to do it.

Playing Times

This is where good communication in the guild is vital, and it will require checking the forum and the calander regularly. We could have a system where one week we play Sith and the next we play Republic, but at the end of the day its down to the guild member to check when we'll be doing what.

Naming the Guild

Obviously we'll need a name that reflects both the guild as a whole and it's seperate divisions. We won't go into that here as theres already a thread on it.

Roleplaying

This has actually got me exicted as it could open up a whole new world of roleplay opportunities. The roleplaying as a whole should be set up into 2 main categories, main guild story arcs and department story arcs. The department story arcs will be developed by the department leaders and the main guild story arcs will be developed by yours truly and the department leaders if they wish to add their input. Although I have to wonder how much we'll need this considering its ALL going to be about story anyway (remember the 4th. pillar Lunarwolf! Razz).

Servers

I'm still wondering about this one as everything as we know it still a bit hazy. My suggestion woudl be to place the 2 departments on 2 different servers. For a start if it is anything like WAR (ouch!) then we may have no choice in the matter and secondly, we don't wanna be killing our guild brothers! Alternatively we could go on the same server and then if we do end up massacring each other, then we could put it down to a gang/department dispute or just internal affairs gone sour!! Laughing

The Guild Lore

Obviously I'm going to have to do a fair bit of reconsideration when it comes to the lore. Luckily we're sticking with our guns and we're still in 'concept mode' so I haven't written much about it anyway. You see kids? The waiting game really does work to our benefit!

Anyway go ahead and share your thoughts people. I'm all ears!!

*Heads to bed now his throat AIDS feels a bit better*. Razz

Last edited by Sureshot on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
Black Heart
Registered
Registered
Black Heart

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 9:17 pm

This idea is warming up more and more for me as well, as long as it doesn't cause a rift between our current faithful members. All of your points are good ones. I don't know if we should be on different servers though. My guess is that there will be markers above people to show their guild affiliation so I think none of us will end up on each other's KOS list. I think there will be one server that is more geared to RP than the others and I don't think it's right to shaft one department with the l33t g4m3r5. I also think we'd earn a better reputation if we offered our services to both factions so we'd be sort of the "go-to guys". But I'll see what other people have to say about this and my opinion will probably end up changing. Everything else sounds good.

5:01 AM:

Sureshot wrote:
*Heads to bed now his throat AIDS feels a bit better*. Razz

Ridicu-sleep hours are the number one cause of throat AIDS. Remember, kids, stay protected, wear a turtleneck.
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 12:31 am

This all sounds fun, if you ask me. The guild at it stands has the sort of members that could pull this off! Here's my thoughts:

BASICS: I love the idea of departments, makes us sound like the feds or Deus Ex's Majestic 12! Personally I dont think we should operate on this one forum as it could get crowded. For my money I think a seperate Forum with a similar layout with a link from this site would work better.

RECRUITMENT
: I agree that the other Dept. should also have a 20 player cap limit. I know this means about 1/2 of the Dept. will be full of alts from here, but I like that idea. I makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside (which might be the uranium I'm chewing on, who knows?)

HEIRACHY: Personally although I think we should have two seperate websites, I think we should have seperate Department Leaders, with The Falleen looming over it all and cackling maniacally!

PLAYING TIMES
: I dont see this being much of an issue - we already have players outside our collective time zone, so we know people are willing to put the hours in. I think a well established and maintained site-calandar is a MUST however. Especially if we want new recruits to keep on top of things in-game.

NAMING THE GUILD: I agree this might need to wait. I'd like to vote here and now for C.O.D.E.X as the Republic Dept though!

ROLEPLAY
: This will be freakin' excellent. I'd love to see friction played up between the departments with people who would normally be shooting the crap out of each other having to stay their pistol-hands and 'work something out' because thats what the Falleen demands! It will be hilarious fun in-game too, our characters might have to give each other professional courtesy, but that doesnt mean they have to like each other! How cool would it be for a character from another guild to run in to help a B4H member in a PVP area assuming they are in trouble only to discover them chatting to a C.O.D.E.X member? fookin' ACE!

SERVERS: Same server, i.m.o. For my money, that's a must.

THE GUILD LORE: Yeah, this might take some working out and feel free to use our brains, Chief! we're all well up for helping! Could I be so bold as to suggest a forum RP where groups from each dept are sent on a mission by the Falleen without knowing the other group is involved? a friendly "test" to see who succeeds first? a great way to introduce the characters IC and breed a little 'friendly competitiion'.

I'll excited as hell about this!

GAME ON! Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 2:49 am

Lunarwolf wrote:
feel free to use our brains, Chief!

That's giving me visions of us all in a room, drooling, our heads wired together... *shudder*

I like this idea. Here's my slant:

Basics: I think basing both branches here with group forums specific to each faction makes sense to begin with. Keep B4H our one-stop-shop so to speak. The guild will develop organically and if in the future we feel the need for two websites we can make that happen later.

Recruitment: Assuming most people here like the idea of dividing their energy between two mains, filling out the ranks with noobs interested in one faction may prove easy but lead to problems. Will folks be happy solo-ing an alt for the time the rest of the guild is playing on the other side of the fence?

Hierarchy: If we go with keeping us all in one place (and most people playing both factions), I think things needn't change in the hierarchy too much. The whole forum will be used by all and need looking after the same way. Perhaps the best way to go would be to have the current (...I know Razz ...) First Officer as head of the republic faction? That way they'll be a known name to contacts from other guilds and trained up in how to run a guild should we come to need a separate website (in the event of which a reshuffle and promotions blah, blah, balh).

Playing Times: 'Nuff said.

Naming the Guild: One name with 'Section [insert #]' as a designation (a la Ghost in the Shell SAC). That way we can have phantom sections plotting against us in power struggles in rp and secret sections hinted at deep within official governments, etc.

Role Play: Would be amazing!

Servers: One server would be my choice (if we get a choice). Staged events within the guild for rp where faction rivals cross paths could be coooool...

Guild Lore: ...Has just been thrown wide open people!! Laughing Keeping the guild on the whole neutral despite Bioware's tunnel vision will be much easier. Plus internal histories of how the faction-aligned sections interacted over the course of wars would make compelling reading.

All good stuff. May I just point your attention to a little post here made on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:28 pm. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 3:24 am

Ok... Splitting the guild sounds ok to me but only and i mean ONLY if there is a in game possibility of interaction between factions like speech, roleplay, trade. If there isn't any way to interact with the other faction other then blast them away this has no point completely as this idea will create 2 guilds which have nothing in common with each other and sooner or later go their own way without caring for the other side.

This is how it usually works sadly. When we go live with the game this forum won't be the no 1 source of communication. In game chat will. So if there is no in game way to communicate we should IMHO just focus on one side of the fence.

We know to little about the game mechanics to even discuss this possibility. I think if we can interact with each other in game then this is a nice idea... and even might work...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 3:48 am

Once the game goes live I for one intend to keep using this place heavily. I see game-chat being used for in-the-moment play related stuff but this forum will be used for chatting to others about what storylines they’re experiencing, what tech they like or abilities to upgrade, etc. And I won’t be stopping the text based rp – it’s too much fun!

So for me cross faction communication would be nice, but it’ll be a bonus. I’m not that into grinding a character to beef them up so for me playing two in tandem gives me more rp to enjoy. And I like the idea of the guild playing itself out on a wider scene that’s not a slave to Bioware’s myopic gods of game mechanics. Whether or not everyone wants to join in on both factions is up to them but I’m glad the guild is discussing this possibility.

Last edited by Redwatch on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Number of posts : 1887
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 4:37 am

I hate the idea of splitting up the guild. I'd much rather prefer us to stick together, but I've read other people's views and I guess I could warm to it. I think Aliendra has said it all for me, though I have some preferences if this is to go along.

BASICS: It's a good idea. That has already been discussed, especially the idea of departments and possibly departments inside those departments.

SERVERS: I'd really like it if we were just on the same server. 10 men on each side, able to have conversations and talk about when to strike next.

RECRUITMENT: I think we should stick with the 20 player cap, being on two servers, 10 on each will be good enough and we'll still be tight-knit. A department leader would probably just be the First Officer.

PLAYING TIMES: No different playing times, our character is either on one side or the other, no choices. We'll be on the same server anyway so we'll still be able to interact.

ROLEPLAY: We will have to be able to converse with each other in-game dispite the factional boundaries for this to work. If they do have a speech boundary, then my hand is down. I'm sure some of you would feel the same. I hope Bioware doesn't do this because they'll be killing off a part of the Wars in Star Wars - negotiation, taunting and death statements.

THE GUILD LORE: I'm liking the idea of a break-down of internal relationships. Perhaps an Officer and abount 5 hunters on one side manage to somehow kill off some hunters on the other side. Due to a failure in the resulting explanations and negotiations, a factional fight breaks out - perhaps one that will ripple throughout other organisations. Just a though!
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 6:03 am

Lunarwolf wrote:

BASICS: I love the idea of departments, makes us sound like the feds or Deus Ex's Majestic 12! Personally I dont think we should operate on this one forum as it could get crowded. For my money I think a seperate Forum with a similar layout with a link from this site would work better.

See the one thing I'm absolutely dead against is 2 seperate forums. I think it will cause a rift between the 2 departments, and like Aliendra said I think if we did this then people would soon stop caring for the other department and just concentrate on their own. Not only that I think it will cause more confusion. I hate to say it but if it does come to that then I think I'd rather have 2 seperate guilds.

Redwatch wrote:

Recruitment: Assuming most people here like the idea of dividing their energy between two mains, filling out the ranks with noobs interested in one faction may prove easy but lead to problems. Will folks be happy solo-ing an alt for the time the rest of the guild is playing on the other side of the fence?

Well thats down to the player at the end of the day, but thats why I suggested filling out the Republic and Sith sides to 20 members each. There will always be someone on that way.

Redwatch wrote:

Hierarchy: Perhaps the best way to go would be to have the current (...I know Razz ...) First Officer as head of the republic faction? That way they'll be a known name to contacts from other guilds and trained up in how to run a guild should we come to need a separate website (in the event of which a reshuffle and promotions blah, blah, balh).

As I say I think I'd like 2 sub-leaders to run each factions department with officers working with them to help them out. This is pretty much a leadership job anyway. Here's how it would look:

Guild Leader
Sith Department Leader
Republic Department Leader
Sith Officer(s) *
Republic Officer(s) *
Department Members
Department Recruits

*= Means I haven't decided on how many per faction.

Redwatch wrote:

All good stuff. May I just point your attention to a little post here made on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:28 pm. Wink

Oops sorry mate must've missed that. Embarassed

Aliendra wrote:

This is how it usually works sadly. When we go live with the game this forum won't be the no 1 source of communication. In game chat will. So if there is no in game way to communicate we should IMHO just focus on one side of the fence.

True, but we'll still have the Ventrillo option. If people can't be bothered to check the forum at least once a day then really they'll be selling themselves short. As I say it's down to the player.

Harlequin2 wrote:

BASICS: It's a good idea. That has already been discussed, especially the idea of departments and possibly departments inside those departments.

I personally think having departments within a department makes things messy but each Officer and Member will have a role to play within the guild.

Harlequin2 wrote:

RECRUITMENT: I think we should stick with the 20 player cap, being on two servers, 10 on each will be good enough and we'll still be tight-knit. A department leader would probably just be the First Officer.

I know we still don't know an awful lot about the game but if raiding comes along then 10 per side may proove a bit tricky. But yeah the department leaders will be exactly like a First Officer but with a much stronger responsibilty.

Black Heart wrote:
I think there will be one server that is more geared to RP than the others and I don't think it's right to shaft one department with the l33t g4m3r5.

Oh god no! I'd never do that to anyone! All we have to do is hope for 2 RP servers assuming we can't play on the same one of course.

Thanks for all the input so far guys!
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 6:50 am

So, is this a definate "yes" that we're going to split the guild into 2? The previous poll begs to differ...
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 6:53 am

No nothing is definite. This is all speculation as we still only know of one class thus far. The problem with the previous poll though is that we didn't actually explore the idea more.

Personally this is the only way I can truly see keeping the majority happy but just to make this clear, this is NOT a final decision.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:03 am

Sureshot wrote:
...filling out the Republic and Sith sides to 20 members each.

...2 sub-leaders to run each factions department with officers working with them to help them out. This is pretty much a leadership job anyway. Here's how it would look:

Guild Leader
Sith Department Leader
Republic Department Leader
Sith Officer(s) *
Republic Officer(s) *
Department Members
Department Recruits

Forgive me Boss, but you've confused the hell out of me. The above setup you've described sounds very much like two separate guilds to me, to the extent which in light of my next quote...

Sureshot wrote:
I hate to say it but if it does come to that then I think I'd rather have 2 separate guilds.

...begs the question: With such a huge split running right the way through the guild, (aside from yourself sat at the top) what's the difference?
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:17 am

Redwatch wrote:

Sureshot wrote:
I hate to say it but if it does come to that then I think I'd rather have 2 separate guilds.

...begs the question: With such a huge split running right the way through the guild, (aside from yourself sat at the top) what's the difference?

Hmm... If you think about it, just having Sureshot at the top of both guilds is not enough. Though he's the leader, he's quite a thin thread (no offense, SS). I say this because the guilds could very easily operate without Sureshot as they have other people as the guild master. Of course they respond to his orders, but he doesn't control the factional department 1st hand, he gets others to do it for him. Eventually, this relationship is going to wear out thin and then someone's going to say "Why are we still serving SS anyway?".

And what faction will Sureshot be playing in the game? Both? Surely that would be a strain to have to keep leaping between two factions and not ever focusing on one character. And if you do focus, then the guild on the other side will start to become distant. And at what position would you be in the guilds? If there are other guild masters, you couldn't end up in a rank below them?

The forum would have a crucial role in holding the two guilds together. You know that you've got a schism what two seperate forums are made for either guild. Even making two seperate sections on the same forum is bad. You'd be dividing the already shaken guild. I've put some thought into this as you can see, but maybe I'm wrong. Please share your thoughts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:22 am

Harlequin2 wrote:
And what faction will Sureshot be playing in the game? Both? Surely that would be a strain to have to keep leaping between two factions and not ever focusing on one character.

I envision myself playing both factions and thought the point of this is that many others will be/might considder doing the same. Sorry if I wasn't clear Harl.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:23 am

Redwatch wrote:

Forgive me Boss, but you've confused the hell out of me. The above setup you've described sounds very much like two separate guilds to me, to the extent which in light of my next quote...

Sureshot wrote:

Right my apologies for the confusion. The guild or I should say community is as we say for now "Blasters For Hire". The guild is the 2 departments together as one, with the same members and possibly some new additions to each department later on. I'm sure the majority of the guild would play in both departmenst anyway, so yeah we'd still be the same guild.

There wouldn't be a huge split running through the guild because we'd have the same members, all operating from the same forum.

To be honest I really don't have anymore options for people. These are what I have:

This new 'department' idea, where everyone gets to play the class they want OR we go with what we originally said and I choose the faction, which will be Sith as it stands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:27 am

Well that's what I thought too. Rolling Eyes

If that's the case, then why double up so much on the "community" rankings when most people on the forum, whatever characters they're playing, are all in one place? To me that's just overcomplicating things for the sake of it.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:42 am

Harlequin2 wrote:

Hmm... If you think about it, just having Sureshot at the top of both guilds is not enough. Though he's the leader, he's quite a thin thread (no offense, SS). I say this because the guilds could very easily operate without Sureshot as they have other people as the guild master. Of course they respond to his orders, but he doesn't control the factional department 1st hand, he gets others to do it for him. Eventually, this relationship is going to wear out thin and then someone's going to say "Why are we still serving SS anyway?".

If people feel this way then they're more than welcome to leave and start their own guild. I assure you that being at the top is no easy job and you're consistantly bombarded with issues such as this to address. To answer your question though, yes I will have a HUGE hand in running both departments and here's the keyword WITH the department leaders. To look at this in a more positive way, think of it as gaining 3 leaders instead of one. This in turn gives out more responsibilty but it also gives 3 extra minds working together for new ideas for the guild.

Harlequin2 wrote:

And what faction will Sureshot be playing in the game? Both? Surely that would be a strain to have to keep leaping between two factions and not ever focusing on one character. And if you do focus, then the guild on the other side will start to become distant. And at what position would you be in the guilds? If there are other guild masters, you couldn't end up in a rank below them?

Yes I will be playing both factions so this wouldn't be a problem, and no it's not a strain on me at all. I'm a big fan of alts but in this case I'm willing to sacrifice having the one singular main and consider both of my characters 'mains' in each department. We will need a rota system though where for 1 week will play Sith and the other Republic, as an example.

Harlequin2 wrote:

The forum would have a crucial role in holding the two guilds together. You know that you've got a schism what two seperate forums are made for either guild. Even making two seperate sections on the same forum is bad. You'd be dividing the already shaken guild. I've put some thought into this as you can see, but maybe I'm wrong. Please share your thoughts.

I'm a little confused as to how having 2 sectione on this forum would make a divide in the guild. I'll use an example. Over at our Blood Bowl league forums we have at least 4 different sections for the teams that have been confirmed as playing (more to come soon). This system is working out fine for the players involved and although we have the odd joke at each other expense (mainly about LW's dwarfy beard!) everyone still works well as a unit for the good of the league. So yeah as long as people are mature enough and can understand the importance of holding the guild/community together I can't see how it would be any different.
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:43 am

Redwatch wrote:
Harlequin2 wrote:
And what faction will Sureshot be playing in the game? Both? Surely that would be a strain to have to keep leaping between two factions and not ever focusing on one character.

I envision myself playing both factions and thought the point of this is that many others will be/might considder doing the same. Sorry if I wasn't clear Harl.

What I mean by this is that SS might not be able to have a main character on either faction because it would seem like he favours one department. I think I've also made some other good points too though, but perhaps I'm just getting too worried... Crying or Very sad

EDIT:

I didn't mean to seem like a turncoat, I just wanted to raise some points that were worrying me with this idea. It seems though that I was getting a bit over my head, maybe this will work, but I support the guild and it's decisions. Just like to get that point across aswell Very Happy

Last edited by Harlequin2 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Reading Sureshot's reply)
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 8:03 am

Redwatch wrote:
Well that's what I thought too. Rolling Eyes

If that's the case, then why double up so much on the "community" rankings when most people on the forum, whatever characters they're playing, are all in one place? To me that's just overcomplicating things for the sake of it.

I'm not 100% on what you mean by this, but if you mean why am I debating making more higher ranking positions available, then the answer is this - We are going to have some situations where I won't be able to make it on and I'll need someone in charge of each 'department' for when this happens. Be it a department leader or an officer.

I brought up this whole idea as a few people (like myself) don't like the idea of being forced to play a class they don't want to as their main. Everyone can say "I may be a spy in the empire but I'll roleplay myself as a smuggler" but with such a story-driven game I think it will break a hell of a lot of immersion. At teh end of the day though, I'm just trying my best to keep everyone happy. Smile

Harlequin2 wrote:

EDIT:

I didn't mean to seem like a turncoat, I just wanted to raise some points that were worrying me with this idea. It seems though that I was getting a bit over my head, maybe this will work, but I support the guild and it's decisions. Just like to get that point across aswell Very Happy

Thats absolutely fine mate. As I say we're only discussing possibilities at the minute, so it's nothing to get worried about. Thanks for the support. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 8:23 am

I’m sorry folks for coming across so bolshy and bull-headed here but I haven’t got a job and there’s so little going on in my life that I’ve nothing better to do but obsess over this and I’m pretty ****ing fed up about it.

Here’s my rant:

Dual-factioning is a brilliant idea. It will add so much to role play we could do it for that reason alone. If you’re not here for reasons of getting the most out of role playing with people who have vision then **** off to some other guild.
If however we find way, way in the future that it doesn’t work when playing the game we can destroy one department through in-fighting, freeze that idea or make a buss full of alts drive off a cliff or something. We can cross that bridge when we come to it. And if no one else likes the idea; bin it. Everyone so far wants to play Republic anyway. Or rather those members who are at least semi-active and therefore whose opinions count (I’m sorry but that’s just the way I feel).

And while I’m throwing my toys out of the proverbial pram lets talk about the guild’s lack of name. If we stay away from lore influenced names we can choose one now. And unless we wait till we’ve played through all of the whole game’s possible storylines before deciding, there will always be the small chance of coincidental duplication for anything we settle on. What message is it giving to possible members seeing us listed as “final name to be decided”? It shows we can’t even get our **** together to name ourselves. I can’t wait to get that banner proudly emblazoned with our guild name which will say to visitors: damn these guys are pros!

I think Sureshot is a fantastic bloke and does a damn fine job of leading this guild. I really appreciate all the hard work he’s putting in and the time he gives the guild on our behalf. Everyone, myself more so than anyone (usually anyway), is falling over themselves trying to do what they think everyone else wants (well, apart from Aliendra) and all we’re accomplishing is making one step forward and two steps back. We should all just stop it! (Apart from you Ali. You carry on.)

Most people have sheep-voted in the past so whatever you decide Sureshot, we’ll make work. I just want to see some progress. I’m fed up to the back teeth of all the dithering and ‘maybe’s. We need to pick a direction and move forward. If it turns out to be a huge mistake we’ll have fun role playing the revolution!

There. I’ve had my hissy-fit.
*Redwatch jams his arms folded and pouts*

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 9:15 am

Cool, can I have a rant now too? Razz

First off I'd just like to say that I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a bit of a doomsayer, but I think it's important for people to understand that as my guild members YOU are my first priority. Trying to keep you all happy is by no means an easy task because you all differ so very much in your opinions. What may appeal to one may worry the hell out of another. The reason I have been posting these ideas is because obviously I need your input on things which you all have thankfully given me.

This faction problem has caused no end of issues but I would like to make this VERY clear to people from the start. This guild's concept is about contract klillers, fugitive retrievel, a protection racket and espionage. The guild was concieved with the idea of Bounty Hunters and Mercenaries in mind and therefore I simply cannot ignore that, and it won't be changing. Now I know some of you have the smuggler class (if its available) in mind but first and foremost the Bounty Hunter class fits in with the guild concept better. As BioWare are being a bunch of a-holes, it looks very likely that we will be turning Neutral/Sith. However, I really wish people could be more patient and wait until we have more information. The game isn't starting for god knows how long so we have all the time in the world to figure out the details. I feel like a bit of a stuck record when I keep on saying to people that we are still in concept mode, which I think a few of you understand, or at least I hope you do. Still, I sometimes get the impression that people just want to jump into things headfirst and this isn't the right way to go, trust me.

I'd just like to say on the name side of things that I do REALLY like the name CODEX although the "X" on the end seems a little out of place and doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe CODE-X might be a little better as it sounds more mysterious to me, I dunno. I'd also like to make this clear now that the name will be decided when we get more info. We're not a PvP l33t guild, we're a roleplay guild where lore is the absolute cornerstone of how we represent ourselves. A name is important I agree, but not as important as sticking with the lore and era of the Old Republic.

One of the things that is getting to me at the minute is expectations on roleplay. Real life comes first as we all know and if people find they are bored waiting for someone to complete their post then may I suggest starting your own. For a start there will be more roleplay to particpate in and its a great read to any potental recruits if we have a massive amount of roleplay on the go. On this front, I really have been spreading myself thin as I'm trying to run a guild, trying to recruit (thanks for the help btw Red), trying to promote the guild, trying to build allies, trying to get better from my throat infection, trying to work and roleplay all at the same time!! As you can see I'm pretty much up to my neck in stuff at the minute (excuse the pun). But heh, I agree roleplay is the most important part of the guild and I would sure like to see more members participate in it if they so wish. It's not essential but when the game starts you WILL be expected to roleplay.

On a more positive note I would like to say that you're all a great bunch and I'm proud to have you in my guild, but if you feel this guild isn't to your taste then I would prefer it that you moved on. Obviously I don't want this to happen but I'll fully understand if you feel this way, and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Also I apologise if I come across as stern on these matters and some of you probably feel that I'm not not doing the best of jobs leading, but at the end of the day this is "my baby" and I at least need some comfort knowing that it's running as I see fit! Laughing

Thanks for reading the wall of text anyway!

*RANT OVER*
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 9:21 am

Heh, two very large rants...

On the name front, if we stop now and just decide on "Bunny Busters" then all the wait will be for nothing. Personally, I do believe we should make a name without getting involved with the lore, but hey-ho, it's Sureshot's call.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 9:28 am

Harlequin2 wrote:
Heh, two very large rants...

On the name front, if we stop now and just decide on "Bunny Busters" then all the wait will be for nothing. .

Right thats it! Now I've made my decision! Bunny Busters it is! Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 10:10 am

Hooray for honest ranting! cheers

I don’t want you to hate me for this Boss, but I’ve stuck my neck out pretty far on this anyway so I may as well place it on the chopping block. I’ve got to be honest and there are a few things you’ve said there that I feel need addressing.

Firstly:
Sureshot wrote:
The guild was concieved with the idea of Bounty Hunters and Mercenaries in mind and therefore I simply cannot ignore that, and it won't be changing… but first and foremost the Bounty Hunter class fits in with the guild concept better.
This is true but no less true than the guild originally conceived as being the Republic’s criminal underbelly.

Secondly:
Sureshot wrote:
YOU are my first priority.
Versus
Sureshot wrote:
As BioWare are being a bunch of a-holes, it looks very likely that we will be turning Neutral/Sith.
When everyone who bothered to vote (including your own one and only guild officer) voted Republic. Apart from me and LW who confessed to liking Republic better though voting Empire for the sake of the guild.

Thirdly:
Sureshot wrote:
I feel like a bit of a stuck record when I keep on saying to people that we are still in concept mode, which I think a few of you understand, or at least I hope you do. Still, I sometimes get the impression that people just want to jump into things headfirst and this isn't the right way to go, trust me.
How long do we wait to name ourselves? Seriously? How long? Part of having an identity is having a name. No name and no banner sends a serious message to other guilds and prospective members.

And lastly:
Sureshot wrote:
I'd just like to say on the name side of things that I do REALLY like the name CODEX although the "X" on the end seems a little out of place and doesn't make much sense to me.
“co⋅dex”: 1. a quire of manuscript pages held together by stitching: the earliest form of book, replacing the scrolls and wax tablets of earlier times. 2. a manuscript volume, usually of an ancient classic or the Scriptures. 3. Archaic. a code; book of statutes. (Hence the silly tagline “We didn’t just write the book, we are the book.”)
Sureshot wrote:
A name is important I agree, but not as important as sticking with the lore and era of the Old Republic.
I would never agree to a name that sounds like it goes against lore and timeline. I just don’t see where the waiting helps with this.

Please don’t mistake strong personality for mutiny. I’m happy here and sure as hell don’t want to be stuck with your sucky job! tongue Though I don’t mind helping out, like with the recruitment and pretty buttons and stuff. And though I’ve made a case for Republicans everywhere I’m also more than happy to play Empire (and will do anyway).

But for the record I want to go down as addressing the above points because some of them don't make sense to me.
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 11:08 am

Um - just a thought..

Assuming BioWare don't implement a specific "bounty" system into the game (which I for one don't think they will do as that will put too much emphasis on one class), doesn't that mean we can be bounty hunters without being the bounty hunter class?

I mean a Jedi going after a Sith Apprentice is a bounty hunter. They're hunting their quarry but in this case their bounty is the approval of their master coupled with the re balancing of the force.

A smuggler who spends a vast majority of his time searching up info on a particular mark so they can rob their place blind when it's empty is a bounty hunter. The 'hunt' is the research on the individuals' movements, the 'bounty' is whatever they can steal..

What I'm saying is that we don't need to be the Bounty Hunter class to be the bounty-hunters, protection racketeers, information brokers and smugglers we signed up to be.

Let BioWare screw us with their faction-specific classes. If our guild puts a hit on someone, and we roll in playing whatever class our character is, we're technically bounty hunters!

With that thought in mind, surely being Republic is doable?

Do we want to play bounty hunters? or all be the Bounty Hunter class?

Remember! A bounty hunter is a vocation, not a class!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 11:39 am

Redwatch wrote:
Hooray for honest ranting! cheers

I don’t want you to hate me for this Boss, but I’ve stuck my neck out pretty far on this anyway so I may as well place it on the chopping block. I’ve got to be honest and there are a few things you’ve said there that I feel need addressing.

Hehehe! Nah don't worry about it mate. Shoot!

Redwatch wrote:

Firstly:
Sureshot wrote:
The guild was concieved with the idea of Bounty Hunters and Mercenaries in mind and therefore I simply cannot ignore that, and it won't be changing… but first and foremost the Bounty Hunter class fits in with the guild concept better.
This is true but no less true than the guild originally conceived as being the Republic’s criminal underbelly.

True, but I did state that we are neutral if you check the F.A.Q. Also at the bottom of the F.A.Q it also states that everything is subject to change. Another thing is on the recruitment thread it says "New European RP Bounty Hunter Guild Looking For New Recruits & Allies To Join Us". This was set because I wanted to attract that kind of player. As more people joined though, we got more diverse.

Redwatch wrote:
Secondly:
Sureshot wrote:
YOU are my first priority.
Versus
Sureshot wrote:
As BioWare are being a bunch of a-holes, it looks very likely that we will be turning Neutral/Sith.
When everyone who bothered to vote (including your own one and only guild officer) voted Republic. Apart from me and LW who confessed to liking Republic better though voting Empire for the sake of the guild.

Ok, but then where does the concept of the guild fit in with the game mechanics thus far? If I take away the very foundation of my original idea away I may as well just dump the guild idea completely. You also said it yourself, not everyone has voted because we don't have the full 20 members yet. This was another reason I was against putting up that poll.

Redwatch wrote:

Thirdly:
Sureshot wrote:
I feel like a bit of a stuck record when I keep on saying to people that we are still in concept mode, which I think a few of you understand, or at least I hope you do. Still, I sometimes get the impression that people just want to jump into things headfirst and this isn't the right way to go, trust me.
How long do we wait to name ourselves? Seriously? How long? Part of having an identity is having a name. No name and no banner sends a serious message to other guilds and prospective members.

I disagree and I have made my final decision on this. We're still attracting new recruits and the concept of the guild is strong enough to pull in even more. We have a nicely designed forum (thats loads of people have made nice comments about) thanks to you mate and if forum looks are the only thing people go by then I personally wouldn't want to recruit that person. It's all 'fluff' at the end of the day. I'd rather have a guild that has substance, a good concept and a strong community. We've already attracted more allies than most other guilds so I think that speaks for itself.

Redwatch wrote:

And lastly:
Sureshot wrote:
I'd just like to say on the name side of things that I do REALLY like the name CODEX although the "X" on the end seems a little out of place and doesn't make much sense to me.
“co⋅dex”: 1. a quire of manuscript pages held together by stitching: the earliest form of book, replacing the scrolls and wax tablets of earlier times. 2. a manuscript volume, usually of an ancient classic or the Scriptures. 3. Archaic. a code; book of statutes. (Hence the silly tagline “We didn’t just write the book, we are the book.”)

....and this has what to do with Star Wars exactly? I want a name that reflects us as an agency within the SW universe. Although I do like the name very much, and I am considering this over most of the names along with what Harly said about having us as a House, I think CODEX reminds me more of something from Warhammer 40k. It's a good name but that just niggles at me.

Redwatch wrote:

Sureshot wrote:
A name is important I agree, but not as important as sticking with the lore and era of the Old Republic.
I would never agree to a name that sounds like it goes against lore and timeline. I just don’t see where the waiting helps with this.

Then I pose to you the question, why rush? We've got plenty of time to work out the name and the fluff of the guild. I honestly think we have bigger things to be concerned about. We're at concept level and we're also in no rush to get recruiting either. The game is a fair few months (years?) away and I guarantee you that we'll have a few changes within that time.

Redwatch wrote:

Please don’t mistake strong personality for mutiny. I’m happy here and sure as hell don’t want to be stuck with your sucky job! tongue Though I don’t mind helping out, like with the recruitment and pretty buttons and stuff. And though I’ve made a case for Republicans everywhere I’m also more than happy to play Empire (and will do anyway).

Oh no not at all, although sometimes I do feel people are working against me rather than with me! I always put my feelings aside and do what I think is right. I do have experience in these things and sometimes I have to put my foot down about these issues otherwise it'll be anarchy! Laughing

Redwatch wrote:

But for the record I want to go down as addressing the above points because some of them don't make sense to me.

Thats cool, thanks for the contribution. We may all disagree on things but hell, I feel better knowing that people feel comfortable chatting with me about them. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go   Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go Empty

Back to top Go down

Splitting The Guild Into 2 May Be The Way To Go
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next