The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
    Current US Time (EST)
    Latest topics
    » CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
    Visitor Information
    Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
    BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
    SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
    SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
    Top posters
    Lunarwolf (6401)
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b10SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b11SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b12 
    Sureshot (5209)
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b10SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b11SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b12 
    PrioryJK (2575)
    Caryington (2420)
    Harlequin2 (1887)
    Commander Nord (1761)
    Tando (1068)
    Kleti (448)
    nosyd (435)
    Smudge (369)
    Poll
    Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
    Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b1065%SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b12
     65% [ 11 ]
    An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b106%SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b12
     6% [ 1 ]
    SWTOR Official Forums
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b1018%SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b12
     18% [ 3 ]
    Darth Hater Forums
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b106%SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b12
     6% [ 1 ]
    SWTOR Roleplay Forums
     6% [ 1 ]
    Other (Please Explain)
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b100%SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Vote_b12
     0% [ 0 ]
    Total Votes : 17
    Dice Roller

Site Donation
    Twitterlink

SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...

Go down 
    3 posters
    AuthorMessage
    Lunarwolf
    Chief Operative
    Chief Operative
    Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
    Registration date : 2009-02-23

SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Empty
    PostSubject: SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...   SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 7:50 pm

I've been looking at the Guild Recruitment threads over at SW:TOR.com recently and have been noticing an alarming trend of people NOT wanting to do RP.

In the threads I see lots of this kind of thing:

"* AFFILIATION & ALIGNMENT:
    Republic

* ROLEPLAY:
    Absolutely none.
    "

And I have to wonder to myself: what are these people expecting?

I mean, I know to get involved in RP actively is a personal choice, but don't these people realise they are role-playing just by playing the game? By creating an Avatar (or character), they are taking on a role and interacting with a universe of other characters who have their own parts to play. Whether its an MMO or a straight single-player RPG (like Fable for example, or Mass Effect), you're role-playing.

The fact that some people are so against it and even actively dislike role-playing in these games just makes me scratch my head with confusion confused

After all, last time I checked they call them Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games....
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks

PostSubject: Re: SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...   SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Don't even get me started. SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Obscene-smiley-1021ers.
    –[CLICK]–

And I stand by that sentiment.
    Back to top Go down
    Lunarwolf
    Chief Operative
    Chief Operative
    Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...   SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 12:18 am

hehe interesting thread!

Interesting not only because of the valid points, but also because the first person to leap to your side was Aliendra...I mean, ALI FOR GAWD'S SAKE!

In hindsight you should have framed that....
    Back to top Go down
    nosyd
    Freelancer
    Freelancer
    nosyd

Number of posts : 435
    Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...   SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 am

I wrote a really big reply here then hit the wrong button and it went poof! Rolling Eyes Laughing

In short, I think people out there don't fully understand and are put off about what RP is, what a RP server is like and how it would play. There are a lot more people out there that now play MMO's than there was a few years ago, because of the WOW phenomenon and then other games. I don't think RP is dieing, it just looks like it is because the numbers are so much more bigger. I think that may be one of the reasons why it looks like there in no interest on the SWTOR forum. SWTOR does seem to be attracting a lot of the WOW gamers at the moment.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...   SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 6:16 am

Personally I wouldn't bang the RP-drum on a forum like that either, it's just not the place for it.
    I think you need a good environment to RP decently; like-minded people, a decent system and rule-set.
    That's one of the main reasons for me to join a good RP guild anyway, open forums like that are a cesspit.

Seems to me though there are quite a lot of like-minded people, I've seen quite a few very decent RP-guilds already; for a game without even a hint of a release-date that's promising.
    People that really enjoy some quality RP (ay, I'm calling this here quality! king ) are just keeping it on their own forums and alliances for the time being I think.

All I hope is they make a well moderated RP-server though (I don't want to run into Darth PwnU in-game tyvm).
    Back to top Go down
    Lunarwolf
    Chief Operative
    Chief Operative
    Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...   SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 6:42 am

Nosyd wrote:
    I wrote a really big reply here then hit the wrong button and it went poof! Rolling Eyes Laughing

The amount of times I've done that....

But yeah, I see your point. I was probably just coming across too many idiots because I was literally just holding my face in my hands going through the recruitment threads.

Hopefully you're both right and the good RP'ers are just doing their thang and getting ready for launch and its just the dense soab's I keep finding on the open forums!
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...   SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 9:07 am

Lunarwolf wrote:
    I was probably just coming across too many idiots because I was literally just holding my face in my hands going through the recruitment threads.
    It's really annoying, isn't it? It's so unrewarding: "Central... Central... Pacific... EST... EST... Central... Central... Mountain... Central... Milwaukee(?)... Aha!! GMT! 18+! RP: No?! *sigh*... Pacific... Central... Central..."
    I recon perhaps one in 20 are European with only half being over 18, and a generous half of those might try a spot of RP. I don't think I've sent out a single invite these past three weeks.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...   SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 9:33 am

Maybe they just don't understand what RPG means...
    Back to top Go down
    Lunarwolf
    Chief Operative
    Chief Operative
    Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...   SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 9:58 am

Not one to tell the moderators at SWTOR how to do their "job", but to me it would make sense to break the Recruitment threads down into timezone because most guilds aren't multi-time-zone. American Guilds are unlikely to be looking for European gamers and likewise.

......unless they intend to put it all on one server. God no. No
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...   SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 10:45 am

Lunarwolf wrote:
    ......unless they intend to put it all on one server. God no. No
    SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Happy-smiley-8818 I'll have to be careful what I say here or I'll be branded a racist. Haha! But I don't relish the idea of playing along side Americans. I'm not saying they're all bad people – just when gaming I find their play style incompatible with mine most of the time.

SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Person-smiley-1146
    Back to top Go down
    Tando
    Special Agent
    Special Agent
    Tando

Number of posts : 1068
    Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...   SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 11:03 am

TheSweatyFox wrote:
    (I don't want to run into Darth PwnU in-game tyvm).

Damn I need to think of a new name Sad
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.evil-wizards.org/swtor-wiki/index.php/Tando_Alums
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...   SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me... Empty

Back to top Go down

SW:TOR's fan-base confuses me...
    Page 1 of 1