The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b10The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b11The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b10The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b11The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b12 
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b1065%The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b106%The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b1018%The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b106%The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b100%The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2010-03-07

The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Empty
PostSubject: The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude   The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:33 am

This post is for people like Dy, wondering which book to read and which one you will want to read just because you’re a Star Wars nerd, no matter how uninteresting they are… People are welcome to give their opinion on books but please KEEP THE SPOILERS AWAY!!!
For clarity purpose, I’ll go through the books chronologically. Along Star Wars chronology. Some book may not be listed because I haven’t read them. And for more clarity I’ll put lil’ stars. 1 meaning don’t read, 5 meaning you should read those.
ABY: means after Battle of Yavin (aka the movie Star Wars a new Hope)
BBY: means before Battle of Yavin.

D. Karpyshyn, Darth Bane: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Contains Path of Destruction and Rule of Two
Settings: 1’020 BBY
Darth Bane one of the most impressive Sith who ever existed. At first I was afraid to read about an apologia for evil and all the wicked things a sith may do… and I was wrong Karpyshyn successfully manage to make a fanatic and zealotish hero out of Bane without crossing any ethical line. Showing us the fall of a man for greed and power, the first book is amazing. Second one is stil very good but all question’s been given on who is Bane… I felt it was somewhat less interesting.
Canon problem between Path of Destruction and the Darth Bane Comics

J. Luceno, Cloak of Deception: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 32BBY, just before the Phantom Menace
This is an amazing book that explains the events leading to the blocade of Naboo and how Darth Sidious shadowly. Very very good book, that would deserve to be made into an Episode 0 movie ^^,

Michael Reaves, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 32BBY
Quite honestly I remember it was an average book but I don’t remember the details at all. I just remember I had fun reading it tho it didn’t change my vision of Star Wars.

T. Brooks, Episode I: the Phantom Menace: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 32 BBY
Nothing new beside what has been seen in the movie. The book’s worth reading just to have the clarification on how Anakin uses the force to blast the control ship… Quite honestly always thought it was pure luck in the movie.

T. Zahn, Outbound flight: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 27 BBY
Requirement: I’d suggest reading Hand of Thrawn first, not a requirement merely a suggestion.
Not Zahn’sbest yet a nice book. I’d recommend to read it after Thrawn trilogy and Hand of Thrawn duology. Anyway a good book with various people and places and plots. A good one from Zahn as he can do it.

A.D. Foster, the Approaching Storm: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 22 BBY
That book is one of the very few that I’ll brand disappointing. Only one place, one group of people, no interesting interaction, nothing worse mentionning… Put this one on the list of book you won’t need to read unless you’re a die-hard nerd of Star Wars.

R.A. Salvatore, Episode II: Attack of the Clones: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
A good book but you really won’t need to read it if you’ve seen the movie. Don’t misunderstand me, i’s not a bad book it just don’t add anything to the movie.

K. Travis, The Clone Wars: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
The book tells te same events than the 3D animation movie. Nothing amazing and definitely not one of Travis’ best book.

K. Miller, The Clone Wars series: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Contains the Clone Wars: Wild Space, the Clone Wars: No Prisonners and the Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth.
Not amazings books it lacks some seriousness and it’s –to me- an evident Marketing trap within the Clone Wars… Miller’s definitely not convincing but she keeps up with the silly and childish tone of the Clone Wars Animation show.

K. Travis, Republic Commando: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Contains Hard Contact, Triple Zero, True Colors and Order 66
Settings: 22-19 BBY
Whether you like Travis or not, she laid down the basics of the Mandalorian culture. You’ll HAVE to read those books before you can pretend you’ll play a mando toon. We could argue for long about Travis (her love of military being the worst point to me) but she brought something important with those books in terms of Star Wars universe… even if I don’t find the women she describes as appealing…

M. Stover, Shatterpoint: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 21 BBY
A book that focus on Mace Windu. If you don’t like the guy, don’t read the book. There is not much interesting in that book. Just alike the Approaching Storm…

M. Reaves and S. Perry, Medstar Duology: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Contains Battle Surgeons and Jedi Healer
Settings: 20 BBY
A good idea but the result is only half good as expected. It’s long, full of medical words… A missed hit to me! A huge disapointment when you know S. Perry for the outstanding Shadow of the Empire novel.

D. Sherman and D. Cragg, Jedi Trial: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 19 BBY
Padawan Anakin Skywalker on a crucial mission for the Republic. It’s interesting as we get to see Neeja Halcyon… aka Corran Horn’s grandfather.

S. Stewart, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
An average book on Yoda and a Jedi Padawan and Dooku and Clone Wars…

J. Luceno, Labyrinth of Evil: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
This one is outstanding!!! If you haven’t read it just… forget I exist, don’t talk to me! The official pre-quel to the Episode III. Just read it! It’s awesome!
Canon problem between Labyrinth of Evil and second season of the first Clone Wars cartoon (not the recent 3D one, the previous one)

M. Stover, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
A must-read! This one is much more detailed than the movies, full of little extra things that for once make the difference between an amazing movie and an even more amazing book. All the epic duels are shown on another point of view. If you thought the movie was epic go for the book because this book IS epic!

J. Luceno, Dark Lord the rise of Darth Vader: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Another amazing book by Luceno. This sequel of RotS is an outstanding diving into the first moments of Darth Vader, when Anakin Skywalker begins to fade. You’d better read it.

S. Wiliams, The Force Unleashed: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 3BBY
A good book that details a bit more the story behind the video game Force Unleashed. You’ll want to read it if you don’t want to play the game or if you want a more detailed version of the events. It’s an interesting counterpart to the action filled game, this book is more focusing on the story.

A.C. Crispin, Han Solo Trilogy: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Contains the Paradise Snare, the Hutt Gambit and Rebel Dawn
Settings: 10- 0 BBY
The incredible stories of Han Solo, one of the most entertaining Scoundrel around. Who wouldn’t want to read those? Very good stories, intensely paced… You gotta love it!

B. Daley, Han Solo’s adventures: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Contains Han Solo at Star’s End, Han Solo’s Revenge and Hand Solo and the Lost Legacy
Settings: 2-1 BBY
Good stories but not as outstanding as the Han Solo Trilogy. Not too bad but I slightly like it less.

J. Schreiber, Death Trooper: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 1 BBY
Well if you love Zombies and Star Wars then go for it! It's nicely paced but it ends up to be just a zombie story for me. The Star Wars part doesn't lift it up to a must-have... unless your either a star wars nerd or a zombie-lover.

A.D. Foster, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 0 BBY
I like it quite a lot it doesn’t bring much more than what you’ll get from the movie still… this book has its own flavour.

Various authors, Tales from the Mos Eisly Cantina: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book but sixteen short stories
Settings: 0 BBY
An intersting book based on the many patrons of the Mos Eisly Cantina who present the day Luke, Obi-Wan and Solo met. Some stories are more intersting than others but the idea’s good and that’s quite entertaining.

T. Zahn, Allegiance: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 0BBY
My friends!!! My dear friends! This book should be on you bedside table and you definitely should read it twice a day… at least! A story of Stormtroopers lost in the middle of galaxy. A masterpiece! Just read it… Don’t ask why…

D.F. Glut, Episode V: The Empire strikes back: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 3 ABY
This book is to be read for it adds one extra detail we don’t see much in the movie: Vader is actually serious when he offers Luke to overthrow the Emperor and rule as father and son the galaxy. I think this gives a slightly different point of view to the story.

S. Perry, the Shadows of the Empire: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Ony one book
Settings: 3-4 ABY
One of my favourite Star Wars book. I always thought EsB and RotJ followed each other almost straightly and Perry managed the tour de force of inserting a whole novel between those two movies. More amazing is that is story is awesomely awesome! You got Black Sun, you got Empire, you got Boba Fett with Solo in Carbonite, you got to learn how the bothan spies caught the plans of Death Star II and plots in between…

J. Kahn, Episode VI: Return of the Jedi: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 4 ABY
Nothing new under the Sun, the Ewok stil pwn the stormies and it ends in silly songs and dancing.

K.W. Jeter, The Bounty Hunter Wars: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Contains the Mandalorian Armor, Slave Ship and Hard Merchandise
Tales of Boba Fett actually told in a very messy way since it’s telling various tales at the same times. Those books I really disliked.

K. Tyers, The Truce at Bakura: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
An interesting idea, invaders from a remote planet that attacks the Imperial planet Bakura but the only available reinforcement is the Victorious rebel fleet on Endor. An enjoyable book to read.

M. Stackpole, X-Wing Series: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Contains Rogue Squadron, Wedge’s Gamble, the Krytos Trap and the Bacta War
Also contains Wraith Squadron, Iron fist and Solo Command but I haven’t read those yet…
Settings: 6-7ABY
This serie I liked a lot. It’s fun full of incredible X-Wing pilots, nasty imperials, traps, X-Wings… I don’t see why you’d dislike it.

Last edited by Soude on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://soude.forumactif.com/
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude   The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:33 am

Reserved for the next part
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude   The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:39 am

Couldn't agree more with the rating of Shadows of the Empire. Thats by far one of if not my favourite parts of canon.

Nice reviews. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude   The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:50 am

Aye aye! Shadow of the Empire is a must-have...My only disappointment about it is I never managed to put my dirty fingers on the game itself.

But well I'm only half way done and I won't be able to add many books I'd so like to read... Thinking of the Dark Forces: Jedi Knight Trilogy which were released with the game but never released in France... or the more recent post-Legacy books that haven't been translated yet.
Back to top Go down
Kleti
The Praxeum
The Praxeum
Kleti

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2010-06-28

PostSubject: Re: The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude   The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:51 am

thank you:) now i have to go for book shoping:)))
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude   The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:53 am

Don't hurry I'm only halfway ^^,
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude   The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 4:01 am

For SS:

J. Schreiber, Death Trooper: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Only one book
Settings: 1 BBY
Well if you love Zombies and Star Wars then go for it! It's nicely paced but it ends up to be just a zombie story for me. The Star Wars part doesn't lift it up to a must-have... unless your either a star wars nerd or a zombie-lover.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude   The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 5:09 am

I've heard similar opinions on it actually, which is why I'm waiting for Red Harvest. It's set in the Old Republic as well so it may hold more interest for those wishing to play the game.

The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude 323px-Redharvest

Cheers for the review mate!
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude   The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 7:24 am

I'll put that coment on spoiler cause it's a spoiler...
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude   The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude Empty

Back to top Go down

The official List and Review of Star Wars books by Soude
Page 1 of 1