The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
Sound Familiar? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
Sound Familiar? EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Sound Familiar? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
Sound Familiar? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
Sound Familiar? EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
Sound Familiar? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
Sound Familiar? EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
Sound Familiar? EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
Sound Familiar? EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
Sound Familiar? Vote_b10Sound Familiar? Vote_b11Sound Familiar? Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
Sound Familiar? Vote_b1065%Sound Familiar? Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
Sound Familiar? Vote_b106%Sound Familiar? Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
Sound Familiar? Vote_b1018%Sound Familiar? Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
Sound Familiar? Vote_b100%Sound Familiar? Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

Sound Familiar?

Go down 
+4
Harlequin2
Lunarwolf
Commander Nord
Sureshot
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 6:26 am

I was just reading this post on swtor.com. Does any of this sound slightly familiar to you?:

"Background:
SOURCE: Sith Operatives Utilizing Reconnaissance & Covert Espionage, is an organization sanctioned by the Dark Council as a splinter faction of Imperial Intelligence. SOURCE was founded by Sai’nhil Ghent, the leader of the now disbanded Jen’Hassari. As the peace between the Sith Empire and The Republic crumbles beneath them, Agents of SOURCE work tirelessly to gather intel, sabotage, and disrupt the affairs of The Republic, playing a vital role in determining a Sith victory."

Seriously this has annoyed me a bit. There doesn't seem to be any creativity whatsover in the TOR community (aside from a few). People seem to just go around and steal other peoples ideas.

Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
Commander Nord
Freelancer
Freelancer

Number of posts : 1761
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:09 am

Many people have no fantasy when write background story
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:34 am

Still I suppose if you come up with a unique idea that seems to be working then you've got to expect this kinda thing I guess. I'm just shocked at the lack of imagination people have and more to the fact that they feel the need to plagiarize someone elses ideas to make up for it.

Grrr.
Back to top Go down

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:52 am

I can see the similarities but apart from their being Sith and wanting to cap at 20 members, I don't really see the 'plagiarism' myself, unless they saw our use of 'Agents' (which we can hardly lay claim to inventing the concept). To me they read more like a secret police or black ops outfit "our PVP or PVE events, called Missions or Ops" and have non of the mafia type elements which are the core of E.P.O.C.H.

With the Sith being underhanded and all that, I don't think we'll be seeing many Sith guilds who aren't secret organisations. It's logical that there'll be many more guilds out there with similar idea to ours.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 8:05 am

Again though I don't really see this guild as much of a crime guild as I do a secret service guild. Ok, we have elements of crime but thats just the backstory of how the Agency came to be. I find the way they're calling themselves Agents/Operatives, they deal in covert operations/espionage all a bit too familiar if you ask me. It's almost like they've taken an idea but put a "Sith" spin on everything. I've got no problem with the whole secret organisation thing whatsover but I do feel we have something original here and when I see guilds pop up with a VERY similar theme it does make you wonder.
Back to top Go down

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 9:03 am

Ah, I see. Sorry, I thought we were an organised crime guild. See where you're coming from now.

Ar-too
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 9:23 am

Well if you have a good idea, its not often long before someone else jumps on the bandwagon and tries to copy it.

We're the original, we're the best. I have a blaster and a lightsaber willing to uphold that fact with any guild who wishes to test the theory.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Number of posts : 1887
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 10:11 am

I have to be honest here, I see little resemblance (after reading the main post). There are only a few points that make us similar:
1) Their name is an acronym, but we can't be expected to be the old guild with one
2) They gather intel and sabotage. But plenty of other guilds do this and SOURCE does it against the Republic, not for themselves.
3) They are shady, but as Redwatch said, many Sith guilds are and this doesn't have to correlate to a gang.
4) Missions or Ops. This isn't an original idea by far. The GTC do this and I'm sure many other guilds do as well, especially military ones.
5) 20 active members thing. This is by far the closest thing to us. I've never seen another guild with the idea, but it can just be coincidence.

Here are the points that made us different:
1) They are purely Sith, were as our backstory suggests that we are neutral in the conflict and have allies and clients from both factions.
2) They are Imperial Intelligence, we are a money-making gang of warriors, smugglers, etc. Completely different and we have alligence to no-one.
3) Serve a greater power than themselves - the Emperor. We obey the Falleen who is very much in the guild.
4) They go for Casual to Hardcore RP but we're mainly Hardcore (with some Medium).
5) They want a Sith victory. We want the war to continue to get more money!
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 10:16 am

Harlequin2 wrote:

5) They want a Sith victory. We want the war to continue to get more money!

Amen to that, Agent Skursir!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Charada
Agent
Agent
Charada

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2009-10-04

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 10:55 am

Sureshot wrote:
Again though I don't really see this guild as much of a crime guild as I do a secret service guild. Ok, we have elements of crime but thats just the backstory of how the Agency came to be. I find the way they're calling themselves Agents/Operatives, they deal in covert operations/espionage all a bit too familiar if you ask me. It's almost like they've taken an idea but put a "Sith" spin on everything. I've got no problem with the whole secret organisation thing whatsover but I do feel we have something original here and when I see guilds pop up with a VERY similar theme it does make you wonder.

Well, in a pure sense, a secret service guild that invites assasinations and other different plots does make it illegal operations thusly forming it into a crime guild, it depends on how you look on it but otherwise you're very much correct
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 11:03 am

See I see it like this Harly:

1.) They're using pretty much the same rank titles (Agents/Operatives).

2.) They used an acronym yeah but typing out "Agents of SOURCE" in a recruitment thread is a bit close to home.

3.) They're a secretive covert group of "Agents" that specialize in espionage. Too similar that.

4.) They're coming from an already disbanded guild which to me normally suggests that they don't have the staying power or originality to keep people interested.

5.) 20 active members limit (even though we shall be taking it up to 30). Why that number exactly? Bit of an odd number methinks considering thats what we've already mentioned.

6.) Casual to Hardcore also says to me that they don't really know what they're doing. Casual and Hardcore RP are worlds apart IMO.

I dunno to me it stinks of unprofessional and unoriginal. Personally when I started this guild it was a place for Bounty Hunters but since then we've developed and we're definitely the first guild to adapt to whole "Secret Service" idea. What I'm worried about is that we may have started a trend and I don't want the copycat guilds appearing on the same server as us 'cause it could cause us problems in the future. If it was rival Republic one with similar ideas I wouldn't be bothered because that could give us some competition.

Lunarwolf is right though, we're the original and the best and I think we've already made our statement known way before anyone else in this field.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 11:07 am

Charada wrote:

Well, in a pure sense, a secret service guild that invites assasinations and other different plots does make it illegal operations thusly forming it into a crime guild, it depends on how you look on it but otherwise you're very much correct

True but as we'll be working pretty much exclusively for the Sith (& i'm assuming their evil government), would that be considered crime? Something tells me the Sith would have a different thoughts on the matter to that of the Republic, who I agree would consider us criminals.

So yeah, I suppose it's just about looking at it from different perspectives.
Back to top Go down

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 11:09 am

Sureshot wrote:
Lunarwolf is right though, we're the original and the best and I think we've already made our statement known way before anyone else in this field.
Very true. If anyone's that bothered about which guild came first they can always be pointed in the direction of our swtor thread which is dated before this and any other new one. And like you guys say; we're the best. Our quality outstrips the competition! Razz
Back to top Go down

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 am

Sureshot wrote:
we'll be working pretty much exclusively for the Sith
If this is now the case then we need to ammend the "About Our Guild" Guild FAQ:

Guild FAQ wrote:
as it stands the guild will be a small and secretive agency, comprised of an elite group of Bounty Hunters, Assassins, Mercenaries and Spies that make their living from contract killings,, fugitive retrievel, espionage and protection for anyone that require their services.
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 11:19 am

Harewood wrote:

If this is now the case then we need to ammend the "About Our Guild" Guild FAQ:

Guild FAQ wrote:
as it stands the guild will be a small and secretive agency, comprised of an elite group of Bounty Hunters, Assassins, Mercenaries and Spies that make their living from contract killings,, fugitive retrievel, espionage and protection for anyone that require their services.

Aye maybe that'll need changing closer to the time. I don't want to go too much into that though without knowing what kinds of missions we'll be getting. For all I know there may well have the opportunity to play quests/missions where we'll have the chance to work for the Republic as well. It's doubtful but you never can tell with the 4th. Pillar! (Sorry L-Dubz). lol!
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 11:59 am

Does that mean that our relationship with the Praxeum is void if we're not going to be able to do Republic missions?
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 12:01 pm

Harlequin2 wrote:
Does that mean that our relationship with the Praxeum is void if we're not going to be able to do Republic missions?

Nah, like HoD they'll probably just become allied enemies if you see what I mean?
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 12:32 pm

So we collaborate with them so they can make staged assaults/traps on us (or visa versa). And why are the HoD allied enemies? They're Sith aren't they so they're potential customers...
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 12:40 pm

Harlequin2 wrote:
So we collaborate with them so they can make staged assaults/traps on us (or visa versa). And why are the HoD allied enemies? They're Sith aren't they so they're potential customers...

Sorry I can see how that must've sounded mate. What I meant was the HofD and The Praxeum are 'allies' but purely for the fact that they're bitter rivals and yeah it's so we can co-ordinate large scale PvP battles and RP storylines. I think The Praxeum probably have a member base thats probably 2 or 3 times the size of ours and at a guess I'd say they have more members than the HofD, so if we come in as hired guns for the HofD then it should turn out nicely. From what I gather HofD don't have many Bounty Hunters at all either whilst the majority of people in this guild ARE Bounty Hunters. We 'should' compliment each other quite nicely seeing as they're nearly ALL Sith Warriors.
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 12:44 pm

So you're saying that we'll be like the Imperium's Assassins to the Space Marines? (yeah, I read up on the fluff!)
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 12:59 pm

Harlequin2 wrote:
So you're saying that we'll be like the Imperium's Assassins to the Space Marines? (yeah, I read up on the fluff!)

Haha something like that! I'd really quite like for us to become the hired guns for the HofD and have them as our permanent clients. If you think about it at the minute we're a bit low on Sith Warriors, with the exception of L-Dubz of course. I'm going to be a bit presumptious now and say that now we're Sith Nex might be changing to that class as we're not allowing any Republic classes. I could be wrong though. Either way we're limiting how many Sith we have in the guild so HofD might come in handy.
Back to top Go down

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 1:06 pm

Sureshot wrote:
I'd really quite like for us to become the hired guns for the HofD and have them as our permanent clients.
HoD already has it's own military arm and plenty of Bounty Hunters in the ranks. I can't see them needing to out-source much...
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 1:40 pm

Harewood wrote:
Sureshot wrote:
I'd really quite like for us to become the hired guns for the HofD and have them as our permanent clients.
HoD already has it's own military arm and plenty of Bounty Hunters in the ranks. I can't see them needing to out-source much...

Really?? How come they were asking for more Bounty Hunters to apply not long ago then? confused
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Outsourcing for the HoD could be helpful for several reasons:
1) It saves them time having to recruit their own bounty hunters and going through all the training with them.
2) They may not want to leave their mark on an operation. Seeing an HoD player attack you is obvious, but you won't know who sent the EPOCH player.
3) We may well do things that their own branch will not do, for instance, some assassinations will be deemed too daring to risk their own troops so will call in us.
4) Their own bounty hunters may be away and/or offline, so having us will give them a much greater chance of having constant bounty hunter support.
5) Since we are specialised in Bounty Hunters and Spies, we will most probably be a lot better at completing tasks for those classes than the HoD who spread out a lot more.
6) RP-wise, it would simply be cooler to have another guild to interact with and have joint-RPs with, especially bringing in new and exotic characters into the mix.

So while trying to be self-sufficient is good, your can see by the above points that there are definately reasons to out-source...
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 2:17 pm

I agree with all of the above points. We'd both get what we want this way. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sound Familiar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Familiar?   Sound Familiar? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sound Familiar?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The E.P.O.C.H Agency :: GUILD FORUMS :: Guild Discussion-
Jump to: