The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
Level Design Ideas. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
Level Design Ideas. EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Level Design Ideas. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
Level Design Ideas. EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
Level Design Ideas. EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
Level Design Ideas. EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
Level Design Ideas. EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
Level Design Ideas. EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
Level Design Ideas. EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
Level Design Ideas. Vote_b10Level Design Ideas. Vote_b11Level Design Ideas. Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
Level Design Ideas. Vote_b10Level Design Ideas. Vote_b11Level Design Ideas. Vote_b12 
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
Level Design Ideas. Vote_b1065%Level Design Ideas. Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
Level Design Ideas. Vote_b106%Level Design Ideas. Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
Level Design Ideas. Vote_b1018%Level Design Ideas. Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
Level Design Ideas. Vote_b100%Level Design Ideas. Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

Level Design Ideas.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sywyen
Agent
Agent
Sywyen

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2010-06-02

Level Design Ideas. Empty
PostSubject: Level Design Ideas.   Level Design Ideas. EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Alright so I'm looking for ideas, serious ones ofcourse, reguarding a level for an FPS, I'm looking for what people like most in a level.. things like Forest or Urban or Offices, Flat levels or multiple ones such as 1st floor, 2nd floor, do you like secret passages and such.. Please feel free to go into larger details if you want, I'll take it all very seriously.

Thanks,

Sy.
Back to top Go down
http://Www.IanABrown.wordpress.com
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Number of posts : 1887
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Level Design Ideas.   Level Design Ideas. EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 11:47 pm

Cool. Smile sounds like you're designing a level. For Counterstrike maybe?
Well if you're going to make this stand-alone I'd have a bit of everything. You could easily have some houses in the middle of some more rough terrain. Personally, I like jungles. It would give snipers a harder time. With houses, there can also be multiple entrance points like through a top floor window, a cellar and of course the front door. If it is Counterstrike the obvious place to put the bombs is the ground floor of the houses...
Back to top Go down
Sywyen
Agent
Agent
Sywyen

PostSubject: Re: Level Design Ideas.   Level Design Ideas. EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Well we are using Source and Counter Strike as a beginning set for level design, I'm sort of sketching out a level layout with paper first then I'll go from there.
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Level Design Ideas.   Level Design Ideas. EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 am

I like open large open spaces levels with clear lines of sniping, like woods. I think it's in DoD that I played it but I remember a level based on the June 44 allied assault on a French beach with a uge gun overlooking it. Maybe in CoD, I can't remember.
Back to top Go down
http://soude.forumactif.com/
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Number of posts : 1887
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Level Design Ideas.   Level Design Ideas. EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:00 am

Caryington wrote:
I like open large open spaces levels with clear lines of sniping, like woods. I think it's in DoD that I played it but I remember a level based on the June 44 allied assault on a French beach with a uge gun overlooking it. Maybe in CoD, I can't remember.

Problem with that design is that the team that occupies the cliff/hills will have the superior firing/sniping position leading to an imbalanced level and game. If you want to make that scenario balanced then you'll have to give the beach side some decent firing positions and cover. Maybe a few trenches?
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Level Design Ideas.   Level Design Ideas. EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:12 am

Something I don't see enough of in games is Jungle terrain. It's probably a nightmare to put together but it looks great. Forests or Ice Plains are a close second for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
Sywyen
Agent
Agent
Sywyen

PostSubject: Re: Level Design Ideas.   Level Design Ideas. EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:15 am

Wow I love all of these ideas, I was personally thinking a sewer style level, but I could mix my idea easily with a jungle theme, I was thinking of having each team's main spawn point at a higher terrain, giving snipers a decent view across the map, then have a few different ways to cross through the middle of the terrain, unground tunnels/sewers, maybe a few buildings/shacks peppered with plenty of places to hide, maybe some tall grass or trenches. Thank you very much everyone!
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Level Design Ideas.   Level Design Ideas. EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 am

Sy do you have Left4Dead or Left4Dead2? If you're looking at using the Source Engine I'd recommend downloading some of the huge multitudes of maps for these games as some are excellent, others goddamn awful - but all offer excellent insight into level design.

Most of the maps/campaigns featured on L4DMaps.com come with video-preview links which could make for interesting viewing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Level Design Ideas.   Level Design Ideas. EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:25 am

Sewer? I suddenly can't help but think of Jin-Roh: Wolf brigade and the firefight in the sewers at the begining.
Tall grass? Bots/NPC always see you there. Sneaky shadow and hidden lovers like me often find that frustrating.
Jungle? Hmmmm! Nice idea, with swampish area of water where you don't know if you'll drown or not. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://soude.forumactif.com/
Sywyen
Agent
Agent
Sywyen

PostSubject: Re: Level Design Ideas.   Level Design Ideas. EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:26 am

Both games were given to me from the school actually, I will have both downloaded tonight while in class I think. Also if you guys play online I'm totally up for some zombie bashing.
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Level Design Ideas.   Level Design Ideas. EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:29 am

Sywyen wrote:
Both games were given to me from the school actually, I will have both downloaded tonight while in class I think. Also if you guys play online I'm totally up for some zombie bashing.

Why yes, yes we do Very Happy

7 pages!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Level Design Ideas.   Level Design Ideas. Empty

Back to top Go down

Level Design Ideas.
Page 1 of 1