The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
    Current US Time (EST)
    Latest topics
    » CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
    Visitor Information
    Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
    BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
    SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
    SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
    Top posters
    Lunarwolf (6401)
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b10E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b11E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b12 
    Sureshot (5209)
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b10E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b11E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b12 
    PrioryJK (2575)
    Caryington (2420)
    Harlequin2 (1887)
    Commander Nord (1761)
    Tando (1068)
    Kleti (448)
    nosyd (435)
    Smudge (369)
    Poll
    Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
    Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b1065%E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b12
     65% [ 11 ]
    An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b106%E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b12
     6% [ 1 ]
    SWTOR Official Forums
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b1018%E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b12
     18% [ 3 ]
    Darth Hater Forums
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b106%E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b12
     6% [ 1 ]
    SWTOR Roleplay Forums
     6% [ 1 ]
    Other (Please Explain)
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b100%E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b12
     0% [ 0 ]
    Total Votes : 17
    Dice Roller

Site Donation
    Twitterlink

E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate

Go down 
    +6
    Sureshot
    Witya
    PrioryJK
    Harlequin2
    Caryington
    Lunarwolf
    10 posters
    Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Would you like to play an MMO with other EPOCHians before TOR launches?
    YES, we should get the practice in!
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b1075%E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b12
     75% [ 6 ]
    NO, I don''t want to/have the time
    E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b1025%E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Vote_b12
     25% [ 2 ]
    Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
    Lunarwolf
    Chief Operative
    Chief Operative
    Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
    Registration date : 2009-02-23

E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate Empty
    PostSubject: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 7:56 am

During the last couple of months I've been chatting with people here and one of the things that keeps coming up is the idea of playing games together in the run-up to TOR.

Some of us already do this (with games like L4D and Borderlands) but after a brief chat with Sureshot last night I thought it was about time we started chatting about the thought of playing an MMORPG together. We've attempted this before (LOTRO, APB, Age of Conan) but the games never last long for 2 major reasons:

1. Too Few Players: Although we're a small group anyway, we have more than enough members to create a community in a game, but it seems like the same people signing up each time. Even with an initial burst of enthusiasm, we can't keep up momentum because there are too few people to carry it off. We need more people playing for more input and more fun in general.

2. People decide "its not for them": People start to play the games and find its just not what they were hoping for or simply doesn't grab them.

With those two thoughts in mind I thought it might be sensible to create a list of MMOS and all pick one we like the look of. Hopefully that means enough people will sign up and, more importantly, keep playing in the run up to TOR.

Here is a list of the games I can think of, please feel free to add your comments (which games you like/dislike and why) as well as any other games I've forgotton to mention (I'll add them to this original list)

SUBSCRIPTION GAMES:

Game Name: Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures / Rise of the Godslayer
    Website Link: http://www.ageofconan.com/
    Genre: Fantasy
    Description: "With this game, Norweigan development studio Funcom has released the first ever MMO set in the rich and gritty world of Robert E. Howard's Hyboria. At the time, it was also considered to be the first AAA MMORPG to carry an “M” rating from the ESRB. The game’s rich graphics and innovative combat system help to set it apart from its competitors."

LW's Comments: I really quite liked this game and found the high violence level to not be off-putting but rather quite realistic. I've been a fan of the Conan stories since I was a kid and it was great to see it made into a game. Alas it has no roleplaying aids whatsoever so doing any kind of RP is hard work. That said its a rich enviorment, a visually gorgeous game and the city building is a great thing. We played this as a grouo but for some reason it just sort of "peetered out" and went quiet after Sureshot left (you trendsetter Razz) - there seemed to be lots of interest over at the site ( Legion of the Lost) but then it just kind of....stopped. Personally this was a bit of a let down, not just because I'd paid for a years worth of site hire (Razz) but because everyone just suddently stopped playing it.

Would I play it again? Yes - if other people put time in with it. (I should point out that Suiadan was playing it when nobody else still was - kudos to you sir!)

Game Name: Aion
    Website Link: http://uk.aiononline.com/
    Description: "Developed by publishing giant Ncsoft for both the Western and Korean markets, Aion features impressive visuals and innovative gameplay elements, making it unique amongst its peers. Set in a world divided in two, the race of the light and the race of the darkness are in a constant struggle with each other and with a third NPC race, creating a dynamic that the developers call PvPvE."

LW's Comments: I've not played this, nor know anything about it. It looks visually impressive, but what does that mean nowadays? Has anyone played this who can elaborate?

Game Name: Battleground: Europe WWII
    Website Link: http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/
    Genre: Historical
    Description: "World War II Online (WWIIOL) is a combined arms strategic and tactical war simulation, or virtual battlefield, with the distinction of being the first MMO First-Person Shooter (MMOFPS). WWIIOL utilizes a military rank system of player leadership which adds a RPG element to this MMOFPS and relies on teamwork as players fight their way across a one half scale representation of Western Europe."

LW's Comments: I know nothing of this game. Anyone?

Game Name: Beyond Protocol
    Website Link: http://www.beyondprotocol.com/
    Genre: Sci - Fi / MMORTS
    Description: "Beyond Protocol is Dark Sky Entertainment's 3D sci-fi MMORTS set in space. As in most RTS games, players colonize and cultivate their own planets, expanding within the large star system as they strike a balance between diplomacy, battle, socialization, and further expansion.

Elect to invest in research and boost your technology, engage in diplomacy and handle relations among neighbors, or choose to conquer and annex other worlds. What makes Beyond Protocol stand out is the high level of customization the game offers.

Players who invest in research can use the game's crafting tools to create almost anything --from customized projectiles, other weapons, to ship-based enhancements whose placement is also completely custom. This makes BP a game in which both your fleet and play experience can be unique.

Beyond Protocol is p2p with a tiered access system. Two versions of the game are available - Standard ($19.95) and Premium ($49.95). Premium offers the same as Standard except the subscription fee is reduced.
    "

LW's Comments: This looks interesting, a bit like EVE except with more of an RTS gamestyle which seems an interesting mix for something like an MMO.

Game Name: City of Heroes / City of Villains
    Website Link: http://eu.cityofheroes.com/en/
    Genre: Superhero
    Description: "Originally developed by Cryptic Studios and now owned and developed by Paragon Studios (Ncsoft), City of Heroes is the genre's first superhero MMO. Players use their highly customizable super avatars to fight evil in the streets of Paragon City. "

LW's Comments: I played this briefly and I have to say, the character creation is great fun - you can make some really bizarre hereos/villains. Alas for me character creation is the best bit - the game itself is bland and uninteresting, the storyline is weak and the quests/missions are repetitive grind-fests.

Would I play it again? Nope, sorry.

Game Name: Champions Online
    Website Link: http://www.champions-online.com/splash?redir=frontpage
    Genre: Superhero
    Description: "This super hero based MMORPG from the people who brought you City of Heroes makes use of a cell shaded art style that brings the look of a comic book to life. Based on an old pen and paper IP, Champions, the game will see an Earth where generations of superheoes have protected the rest of us from evil villains who would seek to rule us or do us harm. "

LW's Comments: I had great hopes for this but it is essentially just an CoH/CoV upgraded clone, and it shows too. Funny thing is, its almost the same game - character creation is still excellent, game is still bland.

Would I play it again? Nope, sorry.

Game Name: Dark Age of Camelot
    Website Link: http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/
    Description: "In the time after the death of King Arthur, Camelot finds itself divided into three realms. In Mythic’s Dark Age of Camelot, players engage in Realm vs Realm (PvP) or PvE combat as each of the three realms battle for supremacy. Aside from being Mythic’s first 3D RvR game, DAoC also boasts one of the most diverse set of races and classes in MMOs today. "

LW's Comments: I'm kinda interested in this - its been going a long time and has a good following, plus its in a genre I'm interested in (I quite like the King Arthur stuff Razz). I'm a little hesitant but I can't explain why.

Game Name: EVE Online
    Website Link: http://play.eveonline.com/en/home.aspx
    Genre: Sci-Fi
    Description: "EVE Online is a subscription based sandbox style MMORPG from the people at CCP. The game is played on a single server as players struggle to carve out a niche for themselves in a universe populated by strong player-run corporations. This sci-fi simulator allows players to mine, fight, join and create corporations, build ships, train skills, engage in a thriving layer-run economy and more. "

LW's Comments: A massively ambitious game, even for a sandbox; EVE is f'ing HUGE. Problem is that means it can often seem quite empty too at times, so you really need some gaming buddies online to play it with. Its atmospheic and grand, but I stopped playing because the only other player I knew stopped playing.

Would you play it again? Sure, if other people did - its not a game for me to play solo.

Game Name: Everquest / Everquest 2
    Website Link: http://www.everquest.com/ http://everquest2.com/
    Description: "EverQuest, originally launched in 1999, was one of the first MMORPGs to achieve great success and notoriety in the genre. The game has spawned a large number of successful expansion packs, continually adding to the world of Norrath, its history, races and classes making EQ one of the most robust games available. In 2004, the game even spun off a successful sequel: EverQuest II.
    From Sony Online Entertianment, EverQuest II launched in November of 2004. The game, a sequel to the iconic EverQuest MMORPG, takes place 500 years after the previous game. Featuring a number of expansions and a strong community, EverQuest II has become a successful fantasy MMORPG in its own right.

LW's Comments: I know nothing of Everquest, but I have heard good things about it. The fact it is SOE puts me off a bit though.

Game Name: Fallen Earth
    Website Link: http://www.fallenearth.com/
    Genre: Post-Apocalypse
    Description: "This post-apocalyptic MMO is set in and around the Grand Canyon. After a plague wipes out most of civilization, the remaining survivors, many mutated by the disaster, vie for control of the resources that remain. Play as a part of one of the game’s six factions in this classless MMO that incorporates a unique crafting system, player vs player action and more. "

LW's Comments: I've not played this, but it looks pretty good - a bit like a Fallout MMO (that even sounds like a great idea!). Has anyone had the opportunity to play it to say if its good or naff?

Continued in next post...

Last edited by Lunarwolf on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:15 am; edited 2 times in total
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
    Lunarwolf
    Chief Operative
    Chief Operative
    Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 7:57 am

Game Name: Final Fantasy XI
    Website Link: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml
    Genre: Fantasy / Sci-fi
    Description: "This game from Square Enix is the first MMORPG in the thriving and popular Final Fantasy franchise. Available for the PC, the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 2, the game takes place twenty years after “the great and terrible Crystal War engulfed all the lands of Vana’diel.” The game makes use of many systems, controls and a UI that while unfamiliar at first to some MMO players, should cause no problems for Final Fantasy fans. The game is deep -- thousands of quests are available as well as storyline-based missions, which are the means of advancement. There have been several expansions, adding to the tale in progress. "

LW's Comments: I've always liked the FF series, but have heard mixed reviews about the MMO - has anyone played it and can give more info?

Game Name: Final Fantasy XIV
    Website Link: http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/
    Genre: Fantasy / Sci-fi
    Description: "Square Enix's follow up to their debut MMO hit, Final Fantasy XI, is the newly announced Final Fantasy XIV. The game takes place in the world of Haiderin, where players will adventure in the lands of Eorzea. "

LW's Comments: As with FFXI I'm in the dark with this one... I know its the new version of the previous game, but does anyone know anything about it?

Game Name: Lineage/Lineage2
    Website Link: http://us.ncsoft.com/en/lineage / http://us.ncsoft.com/en/lineage-2
    Description: "A classic entry in the MMO genre, Lineage is a sprite-based game that is still incredibly popular worldwide. Play as one of five classes in a world that reflects classic RPG gameplay --leveling, monster slaying, attribute raising, and even character alignment. Capture and control a castle to collect benefits allotted via ownership, but protect it. While the PvE content is still surprisingly rich, the highlight of Lineage is in its developed PvP. There are individual conflicts and large scale battles between clans (Bloodpledges) as well as castle sieges for supremacy. A full 3-D sequel, Lineage II, followed in North America in 2004.
    Lineage II is a medieval-style fantasy MMORPG and a true continuation of the original Lineage. Lineage II features considerably enhanced first-person 3D graphics over its predecessor by utilizing the Unreal 2.0 Engine developed by Epic Games. There are five choices of races to play in this MMOG; Dark Elf, Dwarf, Elf, Human or Orc, and a player can keep up to seven characters on a server. Gameplay is either solo or grouped and either PvE or PvP. In order to gain experience points, new skills, and various item drops, monsters can be battled and quests can be completed. Also, there are many social, political and economic aspects to participate in as you travel the expanse of Aden.

Expansions to Lineage II come in the form of free “Chronicles” roughly every six months. Besides major gameplay updates and alterations, each Chronicle also continues the storyline of the MMO’s main plot and brings a great deal of new content.
    "

LW's Comments: Looking at these I think I prefer the first game! (something about the Diablo/Isometric gameplay appeals). Although I know nothing of the game per se, the community still seems to be going strong...

Game Name: Lord of the Rings Online
    Website Link: http://lotro.turbine.com/
    Description: "Across the wide lands of Middle-earth, the Free Peoples must face the threatening Shadow growing in the East. All of Mordor is stirring as Sauron dispatches the Nazgûl to hunt for the Ring. The rumor of war brings forth many eager adventurers who will find their place among the great events of the Third Age. High deeds call to the willing, for their time is at hand. Hundreds of thousands of people will enter the perpetual world of Middle-earth for the very first time. Prepare yourself to choose a path amongst the likes of Elves, Dwarves, and Humans. Will you choose to fight for the things that bring peace to the land or will you add to the corruption of Middle-earth as the forces of Sauron move swiftly to extinguish all that is good?

LOTRO brings you into the timeline of the events of The Lord of the Rings, assisting elsewhere while the events of the novels occur, the game mixes established Tolkien tales with new material for the game. Explore the lands, train your character in levels and three-pronged professions, or even learn the innovative music system. The storyline is constantly updated free by Turbine in installments called "books". An expansion pack: LOTRO: Mines of Moria, was released in 2008
    "

LW's Comments: I actually really enjoyed LOTRO until about the level 35 or so where the game seemed to get a bit repetitive. The storyline is excellent but the character classes are pretty generic. The crafting system is good and the housing system is excellent - but needs more to make great. The game has now also gone "partly free" which makes it appealing.

Would I play it again? If other people were interesred, certainly. I think I would prefer to play in a guild here than run one however, while The Neranian Kinship was good fun, it was also a little too much work while also being here.

Game Name: Pirates of the Burning Sea
    Website Link: http://www.burningsea.com/
    Genre: Historical
    Description: "In Pirates of the Burning Sea players captain their own ship as a pirate, adventurer (a sort of privateer/merchant hybrid) or naval officer, with avatars being highly customizable. This MMO focuses on real time PvE and PvP combat, with players controlling their ship’s heading, speed, special abilities and attacks. In addition to impromptu encounters, it is also possible to conquer enemy ports and take on missions, some of which follow an ongoing story as your character develops. "

LW's Comments: I've always been sort of interested in this game (Pirates, yay!) but never quite got around to downloading it. Not sure if the novelty would be short-lived but I'd be happy to give it a try if other people do...

Game Name: Planetside
    Website Link: http://planetside.station.sony.com/
    Description:"PlanetSide is a groundbreaking MMOFPS and one of the first truly popular games in that genre. Released by SOE in 2003, PlanetSide concerns three warring factions in a battle for supremacy over the terrain of a distant planet.

There are many weapons and also vehicles to utilize by each of the three sides, and both of these respawn for communal use by each player squad. RPG elements do exist in PlanetSide, though based upon points earned through PvP combat. The game still sees updates and events every few months and an expansion, PlanetSide: Core Combat was released in 2003..

LW's Comments: Looks like a mix of FPS and MMO, which do sometimes work. However I know little of this game a certainly don't know anyone who has actually played it. The dreaded three letters of S O and E also panic me Razz

Game Name: Ragnarok
    Website Link: http://www.ragnarokonline.com/
    Genre: Fantasy / Anime
    Description: "For the world of Midgard, it has been one thousand years since gods, humans and demons were at war. The war grounded to a stalemate, and so an uneasy truce was agreed upon by all. During this time of long, troubled peace, humanity eventually turned their back on history and became vain and greedy. Signs of the gods’ and demons’ anger at this behavior appeared in the form of earthquakes, tidal waves and wild animal attacks throughout Midgard. As prophecies of a second war spread, so do stories about mysterious items called a “Ymirs” which are believed to be responsible for preserving Midgard’s millenium of peace. Fervent rumors also spread that these Ymir grant great power to those who possess them. Whether for good or for evil, now is your chance to seek out the Ymir pieces and control the fate of all Midgard.

Ragnarok Online is a MMORPG whose mythos is based heavily on Norse mythology, with references to other cultures as well. There is much to do in the land of Midgard, including taking on quests, hunting monsters and participating in administrator-run random events. This MMOG also features a unique form of guild vs. guild combat called the “War of Emperium” during which several guilds fight for control of castles with dungeons and treasures inaccessible to non-guild members.

There is no crafting in Ragnarok Online, but money can be earned by selling item drops from defeated monsters, including rare item drops not otherwise available in stores. Characters begin the game as Novice class until the requirements of a specific class are met. Ragnarok Online uses a traditional stat and skill system for characters as well as HP (Hit Point) and SP (Spell Point) bars. When players die in this MMO (reach 0 HP), they are transported to their last city save point and suffer a 1% reduction of already earned experience points, except in the case of Novice-classed characters.
    "

LW's Comments: This game looks "charming" (read 'cute') but I'm not sure it could hold my interest for long enough. The complete lack of crafting seems a bit odd too, but it seems a popular game and is still going strong.

Game Name: Ryzom
    Website Link:http://rappelz.gpotato.com/
    Description: "Set in a medieval fantasy world, Rappelz has features designed to appeal to both casual and hardcore players alike. Rappelz comes with extensive lists of quests, allowing users to play solo and/or group up and level at their leisure.

Along the way, you will be able to customize your character with a deep job system that allows for unique character builds, and you will fight using a combat system that allows the usage of pets, tamed from various parts of the Rappelz world, to fight alongside and assist you. The pets can be leveled up as well, with their own talent and job skills.
    "

LW's Comments: Never heard of this one before looking it up. Seems to be a pretty average (so not bad but not great either) MMORPG which allows the use of pets.

Game Name: Shattered Galaxy
    Website Link: http://www.sgalaxy.com/
    Description: "Shattered Galaxy is a sci-fi themed MMO strategy game set in a post-apocalyptic future. In this age, a scientific mishap caused the accidental teleportation of Earth and its inhabitants to a deserted planet. On this planet, humans have learned to control the robots and machines left behind via telepathy, causing war to break out among these proxies on different sides.

The player character is a survivor of this event, and can advance his or her character and stock of units, gather resources, engage in trade, and walk around in various locations such as simulators or other provinces. When the strategy portion kicks in, players can assemble and control a squad of up to 12 units in battle alone or alongside 20 teammates. Several PvP modes make up the majority of the tactical endgame. Players who have reached level 50 may utilize the game's reincarnation system to start over, with additional stat bonuses.

Shattered Galaxy's basic game is free to play, but comes with certain limitations. Subscribing removes them.
    "

LW's Comments: Bit of a wild card this one because it seems to be more of an Multi-player strategy game than an MMORPG, but still it could be fun. The fact that a (albiet limited) free version exists is appealing...

Game Name: Star Trek Online
    Website Link: http://www.startrekonline.com/
    Genre: Sci-fi
    Description: "Become part of Star Trek®️: The Star Trek universe will appear for the first time in a massively multiplayer online game. Everything from the elegant domes of Starfleet Academy to the ancient temples of Vulcan, from the towers of Qo’noS to the Fire Caves of Bajor, from the mysterious Mutara Nebula to the unexplored voids of deep space, all will be represented in stunning 3-D graphics. Immerse yourself in the future of the Trek universe as it moves into the 25th century: a time of shifting alliances and new discoveries.

Adventure in the Final Frontier: Explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations in an expanding vast universe. Make contact with alien races, discover resources and uncover mysteries that will change the future of the Star Trek universe.

You Are the Captain: Command your own starship as a Federation Captain or a Klingon Warrior. Outfit it with the systems that you need to make your mark in the galaxy. Customize your ship as you see fit. Recruit, train and mold your crew into an elite force for exploration and combat.

Surface, Shipboard and Deep Space Adventures: Command your vessel in thrilling space battles, or beam down to planets with your away team for face-to-face confrontations. Missions will take you and your friends into space, planetside and even inside starships!
    "

LW's Comments: I played this for a little while and I actually quite enjoyed it - certainly more so than Champions Online, the game that came before it! STO is an odd beast, it has lots of potential but keeps falling short. For example the Starship Combat in it is amazingly good fun, a great blend of strategy and action, but the ground missions are uninspired, buggy and dull. I enjoyed it for a few months but a mix of repetitive missions and lack of online buddies finally killed it for me.

Would I play it again? Yes, but only with some minor arm-twisting!

Continued in next post...

Last edited by Lunarwolf on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    Lunarwolf
    Chief Operative
    Chief Operative
    Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 7:57 am

Game Name: Star Wars Galaxies
    Website Link: http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/
    Description: "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, a civil war rages between forces of the resolute Rebel Alliance and the formidable Galactic Empire as a result of galactic-wide trade disputes. The plans to a space station being built buy the Empire, called a “Death Star”, is stolen by the resourceful Rebels. This Death Star possess the capability to destroy entire planets, but with its blueprints in hand, the Rebel Alliance is able to pinpoint a structural weakness and destroy the unfinished planet killer. This action will not go unpunished and the Empire will Strike Back!

Star Wars Galaxies is a sci-fi MMORPG initially released as Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided. This MMOG’s world consists of ten different planets, each one a 16 km x 16 km map and borrowed from the known fictional Star Wars universe with a timeline set between the Episode IV: A New Hope and Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back movies. Star Wars Galaxies features content both mentioned and not mentioned in various Star Wars media. During character creation, players may choose from ten different species and nine different primary professions, all of which are mentioned in various Star Wars media.

As with many MMOs, players of Star Wars Galaxies can use their character’s skills and special abilities to attack targets, complete quests/missions, craft useful items, and/or entertain other players. During their adventures throughout the galaxy, characters will have the opportunity to meet famous Star Wars NPCs, travel in their own landspeeders, speeder bikes or swoops, control economies, earn fame and fortune (or infamy and notoriety), obtain rare items, artifacts and trinkets, and build, own and decorate their own structures, including houses, cantinas and guild halls. These structures can even be organized into entire cities run by players. There have been three expansions since Star Wars Galaxies’ initial release (Jump to Lightspeed, Rage of the Wookies, and Trials of Obi-Wan), all of which have added additional features to the main game.
    "

LW's Comments: I liked what I played of SWG. Sure it was buggy and the graphics looked a little dated but it was STAR WARS and it actually felt like it! I've not played the pre-NGE game so can't comment on that, but I did enjoy what I played. I stopped playing because I didn't know anyone else who played it.

Would I play it again? Yes, if others joined.

Game Name: Ultima Online
    Website Link: http://www.uoherald.com/
    Description: "Released in 1997, Ultima Online is one of the defining games of the MMORPG genre. From designer Richard Garriott's vision for a multiplayer RPG world, it has been influential on many of the most successful and popular titles that came after it. Set in Medieval Brittania, the game is a 2D fantasy RPG that follows the single-player Ultima series.

UO allows you to choose a class, train skills, and upgrade player stats to advance. many gameplay mechanics and efatures that we now consider traditional in MMOs, such as living in a virtual world, building player cities, leveling, crafting, exploring, and more were either forged by or made classic by Ultima Online. There is an extensive crafting system and resources to gather for use in both skill training and crafting.

The close-knit community as well as the developers remain loyal to the game despite its now dated graphics and oft-imitated gameplay. There have been nine major expansions to UO (most recently in 2009, adding another class), keeping content fresh and introducing new elements.
    "

LW's Comments: Considering this game has been going since 1997 it has to be doing something right. I imagine the graphics will put some people off, but having grown up in an era where that kind of thing was "cutting edge", it makes me feel kind of nostalgic. I've played Ultima games in the past and have enjoyed them, but know nothing of the online game.

Game Name: Vanguard: saga of heroes
    Website Link:http://vanguard.station.sony.com/
    Description:"[/i]Originally developed by Sigil Games and now SOE, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is a fantasy MMORPG featuring 19 playable races and 15 character classes. One notable feature of Vanguard is that character customization is always possible, even long after creation.

The three main areas of the game --known as spheres-- are adventuring, crafting, and diplomacy. Adventuring is what it sounds like - engaging in the traditional MMO gameplay that includes questing and monster killing, with the former more valuable for gaining experience than the latter.

Crafting is a large part of Vanguard, with a deep system that allows for the creation of many powerful items as well as unique ones. Each continent has its own items that cqan be crafted, making them different in appearance. As skills in crafting are raised, a player may choose to specialize in a particular form, such as Tailor or Blacksmith.

The Diplomacy sphere is handled via a card game and is not as developed as the other two. Released in what many sa as a very unfinished state, Vanguard receives regular updates, with an entire new area having debuted in late 2008 and more content having been added. [/i]"

LW's Comments: I've always been semi-interested in this but have never played it because (and I'm ashamed to say this because its very petty!) a guy I really hate that I know raves about it. That being said it looks visually impressive and seems to boast a robust Crafting System.
    I would be happy to give it a try if others do.

Game Name: Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
    Website Link: http://www.warhammeronline.com/
    Description:"Mythic's Warhammer Online does what Mythic does best - specialize in Realm vs Realm combat. Jumping off of their achievements in Dark Age of Camelot,

Drawing inspiration from various aspects of the Warhammer universe, WAR pits the two sides -- Order and Destruction -- against each other in four battle modes that include instanced combat, skirmishes, and invasion of enemy territory ("Campaigns"). The races of Order are the Dwarfs, Empire, and High Elves; while Destruction features Greenskins, Chaos, and Dark Elves.

Unique to the RvR focus is that even PvE interaction and quests can affect the outcome of RvR combat, letting players contribute to their side even without engaging directly. There are also large sieges and keep battles, featuring up to 18 on a side. In addition to the RvR focus, the game does feature quests and other traditional leveling options. A major free update, Land of the Dead, was released in 2009 and added entire new areas, new traps, and new methods to foil the enemy.
    "

LW's Comments: At the start I loved this game - all the characters, the areas and the storyline felt very "Warhammer" (I used to play WFRP - Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying back in the day) and I thought the overall game was well made. Alas a few levels in and the whole thing went very pro-pvp. As a personal preference this killed it for me; as I'm a PVE gamer and it left that group behind as it surged ahead with PVP.

Would I play it again? If they made it more PVE friendly, definately. As it stands now it holds little interest for me beyond the first 20 levels.

Game Name: World of Warcraft
    Website Link:http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/
    Description:"Azeroth is a world whose lengthy and tumultuous history is forged in the fires of unremitting conflict. It has been four years since Chaos reigned over this scarred world and King Arthas of Lordaeron was driven mad by haunting visions of the Frozen Thrown of Icecrown. As was inevitable, history now repeats itself as armies of the Horde and the Alliance prove their mettle on battlegrounds and clash weapons and magic in colossal, organized territorial raids. Your time has come. Choose a side, sharpen your skills, and make your mark on Azeroth history.

World of Warcraft is the first MMOG in the (so far) four part Warcraft series, with previous Warcraft titles being RTS games. Like most MMOs, players may find adventure in fighting various monsters and in performing missions offered by numerous NPCs throughout Azeroth. In World of Warcraft, success in these endeavors yields rewards in the form of currency, items and experience. Players may also take part in PvP battles in the forms of dueling and fights with players of opposing factions. In the early to middle stages of exploration around Azeroth, most monsters and quests can be handled solo. Past that point, however, more and more gameplay will require a good team of players, usually two to five in number. Large-scale raids can require up to 40 players to succeed.

At level 40, players are able to purchase a mount based on their character's race and reputation which can be summoned at will. These are expensive to purchase and train, but add to the player’s status and significantly increase their speed of travel. Unfortunately, players may not engage in combat while on a mount. The level cap in World of Warcraft is 60 for those without the expansions, with rewards for successful raids at this level being in the form of rare loot. With the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, the level cap is now 80.
    "

LW's Comments: Love it or hate it, this one's the "MMORPG Big Daddy". Its blend of hardcore/casual gameplay with optional pvp (as in you can max without ever touching it) made it into money-making gold for Blizzard. It lacks player housing but has a good (if rather basic) crafting system and many, MANY varied enviroments. This is still one of my favourite MMOs ever.

Will I play it again? Definately. I have WC: Cataclysm on Pre-order.

Last edited by Lunarwolf on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    Lunarwolf
    Chief Operative
    Chief Operative
    Lunarwolf

The Free Games List

Here is a list of the "free" games available that I know of. As I've said before there are loads more, this is not an exhaustive list by any means.

When I say "free" I mean "free of subscription fees". In most cases these games will either cost to purchase in the first place or will use Microtransactions and Mail Items to pay their way.

I've split them into their Genre groups:

FANTASY:

• 4-Story
      Allods Online
      Archlord
      CABAL Online
      Darkfall
      Dungeons & Dragons Online
      Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn
      Flyff
      Guild Wars
      Mythwar Online
      Priston Tale
      Raikon
      Rappelz
      ROSE Online
      Runes of Magic
      Shaiya
      Sword of the New World
      The Chronicles of Spellborn

SCI-FI:

• ACE Online
      Age of Armor
      Anarchy Online
      Dark Space
      Global Agenda
      RF Online

OTHER:

• 9Dragons
      Requiem: Bloodymare
      Silkroad Online
      Voyage Century

Last edited by Lunarwolf on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    Caryington
    Veteran Agent
    Veteran Agent
    Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
    Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 9:24 am

My two cents input:

It's not Sci-fi? I don't like it!
    As for the games you already put there, I tried a few of them.

AoC: Sorry but I haven't been convinced by that game. I don't miss it at all. I remember it as some kind of online street-fighter. Combos and all those things aren't for me.

EVE: Awesome but no out of ship places. PvP space is always a bad news and without a guild the game is rather uninteresting (like most of the MMOs)

EQ2: I really liked but as most of the games... without a guild it's much less fun.

FFXI: I'm still wondering why I played it cause I never liked FFs. Quite honestly, I remember I plaid it but I don't remember anything beyond that.

SWG: I love it! Will I play it again? Yes but on starsider server.

WoW: Sorry I hate it.

I haven't played DAoC but my cousin did, if you're not interested in PvP or RvR, don't go for it.

As for FPS games like WWIIOL or Planetside I feel no interest for those... at all!
    Back to top Go down
    http://soude.forumactif.com/
    Harlequin2
    Veteran Agent
    Veteran Agent
    Harlequin2

Number of posts : 1887
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 9:36 am

To be honest, if I'm going to do this I'd rather like something that I can dip in and out of until ToR comes out. You've missed a couple out like Guild Wars and DC Universe though Smile

As for my points, I'd prefer something Sci-Fi. I've had my fill of fantasy with WoW, a game I'd rather not get back into even with the Cataclysm re-vamp. I found SWG boring as well, and CoH/CoV is the same after you get past the character creation and guild houses.
    Back to top Go down
    Lunarwolf
    Chief Operative
    Chief Operative
    Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 9:38 am

(Thats all the lists updated)

Thanks for the input Soude! The point of this is for everyone to have their say and then hopefully come up with a game which everyone is happy to play - so don't worry if comments are more negative than positive; that's to be expected Smile

Its interesting to see what people write to as it gives an insight as to what people will like/dislike about SWTOR!

Darth Nihilus

@ Harl: I appreciate I left off DC Online, but I'm not putting down any games we can't play yet - SWTOR is enough of a wait for me Razz

Cheers for your input Smile
    Back to top Go down
    Harlequin2
    Veteran Agent
    Veteran Agent
    Harlequin2

Number of posts : 1887
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 9:44 am

It's not out yet?! O.o
    Unfortunately, after a brief glance it doesn't look like there are many decent sci-fi MMOs to me Razz I'm also interested to see what others have to say.
    Back to top Go down
    PrioryJK
    Special Agent
    Special Agent
    PrioryJK

Number of posts : 2575
    Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Well my two cents are this, the French will rule our Navy now so screw their opinions!!
    /Eat that surrender Monkies!/

Razz Personally I think we need to see how people will play in an MMO and try balence out everyones interests.

ie for me, Unless I'm in a Guild and and I actually enjoy the game I wont play on it that much as I have console buddies and other PC games I'd just go to instead.
    This means that depending on the number of people playing it would influence the game quite a lot, if lots of you played and RP'ed then I'd settle for a lesser game but if only lets say me LW and Soude play regulary then it would have to be good.

And also I have no interest currently in spending great amounts of time leveling in something that I'm not gonna stay commited to ie a few months, and I can see that a few other people will have little time to actually play that much or level with us, but may enjoy some RP time in game.

Atm I think we should take a honest opinion of who will want to play an MMO put in a decent amount of effort into it and then decide on which one it should be, if we can get 4 commited people to play 2 hours every other day then I'm in and then we can decide which MMO we want and what would be best to RP in with people who can't currently commit.

Anyway MMOs I'd like, Sci Fi probably avoid final fantasy as i heard the new one is god awful......indecisive!
    Back to top Go down
    Witya
    Agent
    Agent
    Witya

Number of posts : 345
    Registration date : 2010-08-30

PostSubject: Re: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 4:04 pm

I know I'm declared not to play any MMO and wait for SWTOR, but PrioryJK pointed few important things, that I would consider if I was on Your place.

First:
    Chose the game that is playable and full of fun from the start. It's because you want to play as a guild, to develop characters from the scrap. So...

Avoid Lineage 2 - the game is allegory of grind. real Hardcore One. Not to mention evaporating materials that you grind for 3 weeks to just have some bad luck with 60% gear recipe. But even from the start you got "quests" like collect 150 medallions that drop from every second or third killed mob. And percent lose of exp when you die. It may be fun to play end game PvP or Warlord spear grind, but it's not funny at the start - not one bit.

Next game with long way to real fun is EvE. As Soude mentioned, it's not fun without strong guild, and because you learn skills in real time, there is no short way to the fun side of the force. The + of the game is great mature community, but this is the MMO that need huge commitment. "2 years ago I have to hose - My Wife or EvE. And I can't leave EvE now!" kind of thing. Oh, and only 5% of players community are girls.

The best would be something that is universal (like WoW) easy to have fun from the start (like WAR and premade scenario party for RvR. I remember when I started to play Warhammer 4 of my friends made characters at the same time so we had 5 ppl party playing PvP all the time. Good times!).

I see LW is already ready to start his journey on shattered Azeroth in WoW Twisted Evil I'm not the biggest fan of WoW, but it's:

-Fun from the start if you have guild
    -Very well balanced (maybe now rogue is again overpowered with the new patch pre-cata)
    - Universal with many ways of playing and very RP friendly. especially with FlagRSP addOn
    - People that left WoW some time ago will have fun too because of new content, races and new talent trees
    - The new expansion pack is out at... 7th of december? ( around 30 days?)
    Back to top Go down
    Caryington
    Veteran Agent
    Veteran Agent
    Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
    Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 5:02 pm

PrioryJK wrote:
    Well my two cents are this, the French will rule our Navy
    Yes we will!!!
    Back to top Go down
    http://soude.forumactif.com/
    Lunarwolf
    Chief Operative
    Chief Operative
    Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Witya wrote:

I see LW is already ready to start his journey on shattered Azeroth in WoW

To be honest its more going back to WoW as I've had 4 level 80s on hold for this entire year. The guild I was in had finished all the WLK stuff so we put wow on hold until Cataclysm came out. I plan on not only continuing with 2 of those level 80s but want to play a new Worgen race too - I've even created a level 1 Dwarf called "Lunarwolf" to reserve the name Razz

But back to business...

There are some good points being made (I knew there would be Wink ) and I have to say I'm whole-heartedly agreeing with the fact it needs to be a game that is

- fun from the start
    - non-commital*
    - we'd be prepared to put it down when TOR came out

* by non-commital I mean "to the game", in other words we don't need to get to level xx before we can have fun and actually enjoy the game. I hate grind-fests (no offence Korea, I know you guys looooove that kinda thing :p) so I think the only thing we should commit to is having a laugh together and raising a little hell Twisted Evil
    Back to top Go down
    Sureshot
    Chief Operative
    Chief Operative
    Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 12:32 am

Blimey! Thats quite a big list! I'm going to have to do some serious digging around.

The only ones I absolutely WON'T play are SWG (although the EMU could be good), AoC, DDO and definitely not WoW (if that were the case I'd go back to LotRO as I persnally think it does it better). I'm also not a huge fan of RTS'.

I'm actually going to be looking at the free games more so than the pay to play ones. Mainly because as Harly mentioned DC Universe isn't that far off from release and even if it is and SOE product, all I've heard so far from beta testers are positive things.

Now where to start?!! To be honest I think we need t find something quick and easy to pick up. I think for a few of us L4D has that quick n' easy appeal so if we can find something that fits like that in an MMO then we should be ok. Damn daunting task though. Shocked

I've heard good things about Global Agenda it has to be said. From what I gather it's only a free trial though.

p.s. Kudos on the list L-Dubz.
    p.p.s. Oh and I agree with some of the others about choosing a Sci-fi based MMO. Gnomes and Goblins have worn interest levels pretty thin.
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
    Lunarwolf
    Chief Operative
    Chief Operative
    Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate   E.P.O.C.H. Gamers - The MMO Debate EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 am

Depending upon whether or not the "sci-fi only please!" fans can be convinced, can I recommend Guild Wars?

Last time I played it (which was a while back I admit) it was good fun and had no subscriptions fees whatsoever. You had to pay for the actual game (which is dirt cheap) but there were no "buy this item to keep playing" kind of restrictions...little features like filling gaps in your party with NPCs is nice too..and dual-classes...

I'm open to other ideas ofc Wink

Here's a couple of gameplay trailers for those who don't know of it:
    (oh and for people who like PVP you can make not only an RP Character (normal mmo levelling character) AND a PVP character which starts at top level and can be used for PVP only - no grinding, no complaining about people having "better gear" - just good ol fashion "beating up other people" Razz)

RP Gameplay: