The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
Roleplaying Evolution EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
Roleplaying Evolution EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Roleplaying Evolution EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
Roleplaying Evolution EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
Roleplaying Evolution EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
Roleplaying Evolution EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
Roleplaying Evolution EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
Roleplaying Evolution EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
Roleplaying Evolution EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b10Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b11Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b10Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b11Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b12 
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b1065%Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b106%Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b1018%Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b100%Roleplaying Evolution Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

Roleplaying Evolution

Go down 
+2
Tando
Lunarwolf
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Roleplaying Evolution Empty
PostSubject: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 1:18 pm

As was discussed in the meeting and Sureshot mentioned in the write-up, we will soon be looking at expanding our Role-playing options here on the E.P.O.C.H. site.

Stemming from the discussions covered in Dynamic Roleplay and from the response the idea received in the latest meeting, we will be looking at implimenting a second RP option:

Chat-Based RP

This will be a faster-paced version of our current Forum-Based RP which will concentrate more or interactive narrative than the story-driven descriptive RP that we currently have. This new option will also lend itself to action sequences, combat and chance, and will be closer to table-top RP or even RP carried out in most MMORPGs.

Though I'm sure some people might wonder why this is neccessary considering we have the chatbox, it should be pointed out that the Java-based system I am considering implimenting will be a lot more diverse than our current options, with such things as multiple sign-ins on the same account (for playing npcs etc), various rooms and lobbies, a custom SW-based GUI and even an integrated Dice Roller.

For those who want to use it simply as an In-Character social chat-room that is absolutely fine, but a full listing of Salasvar (from the Sith'ari Path)'s cut down rules of D20 Star Wars will be available so players can have character sheets and statistics for their characters and play the game with full rules for a more immersive experience.

An OOC lounge will also be available to work in exactly the same was as the Chatbox does now.

A couple of things to consider though:

1. This won't happen overnight. I need to purchase the software, customize it and then learn some basic SQL programming to integrate it into this site - it could be as long as September before its up and running completely, though I might be asking people for help to test it beforehand.

2. This will not be replacing Forum-RP, but rather will be acting as a second option. We're aware that some people here prefer to just roleplay rather than write, and this option is for them. It'll be faster and more dynamic than Forum RP but for those people who want to sit down and consider their responses and take their time, Forum RP is still here for you.

I'll update you all with more information as and when I have it but in the meantime, please watch this space!

Last edited by Lunarwolf on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Tando
Special Agent
Special Agent
Tando

Number of posts : 1068
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 1:22 pm

I'm looking forward to this and if you need anything give me a shout Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.evil-wizards.org/swtor-wiki/index.php/Tando_Alums
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 1:57 pm

I fyou need help be it in regard of buying the 200£ thingy (or the cheapest version) and/or any other help, gimme a shout Razz
Back to top Go down
http://soude.forumactif.com/
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Cheers guys - don't worry I'm not going for £200 setup + £99 / month Digichat one, this one's a LOT cheaper!
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 3:25 am

Anyway if you need someone to... well... pay for that I'll do as long as we can discuss a payraise ^^'
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 8:14 pm

I've been giving some thought recently to using the STEAM chat system for our Chat RP as it works well with our Guild Meetings.

In light of the fact that I know Soude & Dy have given it a go on a basic level (even if for some reason the link in Soude's post doesn't want to work on my laptop *ahrug*), I thought it might be worth investigating.

However I need to test it a fair amount before it can be viable. Steam doesn't support multiple chatrooms for example so it would make somewhere to chat OOC difficult (I know it allows multiple conversations but seeing as you can't name those it could cause a problem telling them apart), and there are rumours floating around the STEAM forums that there is a max member in chat capacity. There are lots of these sorts of things I need to test and I could do with a bit of a hand.

Is there one person or perhaps just two people who could spare some time today (Saturday) to help me test it out please? it shouldn't take more than an hour but I think its worth looking into if we can use this already existing setup for RP, especially if its completely free.

Anyone (or any two Razz) interested?
Back to top Go down
WildWallace
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2010-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 8:24 pm

I'm interested! I really enjoyed the Steam RP four hours ago, quite happy to do it again - sign me up!
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Thanks WW, appreciate that.

Oddly enough Sure and I were chatting about the possibilty of using STEAM a couple of days back and then we saw "ghost ship" appear on the forums so it seems like everyone was thinking along similar lines, which is a good sign Wink

Once I've got another person on board I'll put a quick announcement up for times etc - it won't be a formal RP, more a series of small tests built around an RP theme.
Back to top Go down
WildWallace
Agent
Agent

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Back when I was younger [three or four years ago] I role-played a few characters, but in the Harry Potter world. As I was still more or less a kid at the time, Bebo was used for it - Windows Live Messenger worked the same way as you use Steam now (although it's generally just one person that we did it before). Just a random piece of information from you. Razz
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 8:39 pm

For some reason the word "bebo" always makes me chuckle.

I've actually used Windows Live Messenger from RP in the past because, like STEAM, Bebo, etc you can change your name and profile picture very easily which is handy if you want to do things like change characters (vveeeeery handy if you're the storyteller and in charge of all the npcs!)

My only real issue with doing that, and I have the same concerns for STEAM is the lack of multiple "rooms" (like an OOC channel if you like) and the fact other people you know can jump in and bug you.

Steam has the added advantage that we can hold a private chat through the STEAM EPOCH group page (which is what I intend to do later) which means only people in our STEAM group can see its going on.

but these are all things to test Smile
Back to top Go down
WildWallace
Agent
Agent

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 8:43 pm

Interesting, that might have been something WLM did in the past but it doesn't work like that anymore. In a multi-conversation only people invited can join, and I agree it's easily customisable. Sadly, you can only have one conversation open with one person at a time which is a let-down, but WLM was never designed with RP in mind. Razz
Back to top Go down
Kleti
The Praxeum
The Praxeum
Kleti

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2010-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 10:08 pm

I had problems yesterday using steam for rp.... if you accidentally close window all info is lost;/
To make log you have to do it by hand copy paste....
I'm used to play chat rp on MSN:P you can change profile name, avatar and msn has history log, you can send pictures even you can quickly scrible some building plan in the message text.
For different chats you can create groups...
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Dy wrote:
I had problems yesterday using steam for rp.... if you accidentally close window all info is lost;/
To make log you have to do it by hand copy paste....
I'm used to play chat rp on MSN:P you can change profile name, avatar and msn has history log, you can send pictures even you can quickly scrible some building plan in the message text.
For different chats you can create groups...

Yeah losing the chat is always a risk, but I think there may be a way to keep a history of the STEAM logs; I'll be looking into that when I wake up later. This is only one of many options of course, I'm still considering others such as FlashChat and MirC.

I'm going to begin my tests with STEAM first though.

EDIT: I'm tempted to try out the Tabbed Chat (beta) too. >> LINK <<
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 2:59 am

From my point of view Steam was perfect for the kind of RP we've set up yesterday.
FAST going,
SIMPLE of use,

Avatars, name changes are details to me in a RP chat and I was quite convinced with this test.
Only restrictions that I'll put are:

Not to involve to many people or it would get too messy, four of us was fine but I wouldn't want to try more than... six.
Not to discuss GMT and UTC with Smudge ^^'
Not to play after a too long day at work Very Happy

EDIT: .txt log
Back to top Go down
WildWallace
Agent
Agent

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:55 am

Quote :
Yeah losing the chat is always a risk, but I think there may be a way to keep a history of the STEAM logs; I'll be looking into that when I wake up later. This is only one of many options of course, I'm still considering others such as FlashChat and MirC.

My Steam actually froze once due to the large amount of things I was also doing, so I had to close it and I missed a little bit of the chat (if you read it, it was the part where Cassus opened the door - I missed the droid being sent).

I never actually considered IRC as a possibility, but I suppose you make a good point.
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Just to let the Guild know, the new Chatroom will hopefully be up and running on

Wednesday 22nd September 2010

It was due to be up on Tuesday but I'm out almost all of the day and I don't know exactly what time I will be back.........
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

Number of posts : 2575
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 2:05 am

How do we contribute moneis to this chatroom?
I'll happily spilt the cost depending on how many other people are, 50% if its me and you 33% if Paul is as well etc?
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 3:27 am

You go a donate button down the fidget column, PJK.
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:21 am

Soude wrote:
You go a donate button down the fidget column, PJK.

Indeedy-do! but don't worry about that if you don't want to Smile
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:31 am

Donated
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:58 am

Cheers mr JK!

I'm now one step closer to purchasing my 25ft tall special edition purple gummy-bear!

...er..... I mean.... "that'll help towards the purchasing of the chatbox, thanks!"
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 3:53 pm

No but a gummy bear of that size would have unlimited powah!!

SS better cough up too Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Evolution   Roleplaying Evolution Empty

Back to top Go down

Roleplaying Evolution
Page 1 of 1