The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
Ageing & Legacy System EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Ageing & Legacy System EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
Ageing & Legacy System EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
Ageing & Legacy System EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
Ageing & Legacy System EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
Ageing & Legacy System EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
Ageing & Legacy System EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b10Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b11Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b10Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b11Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b12 
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b1065%Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b106%Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b1018%Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b100%Ageing & Legacy System Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

Ageing & Legacy System

Go down 
+4
zoran
Harlequin2
PrioryJK
Sureshot
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Ageing & Legacy System Empty
PostSubject: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 2:21 pm

I remember reading an article ages ago that TOR was rumoured to have a type of legacy system where as your character would be able to have offspring, that I assume would make them playable, maybe after you've reached level cap. For the life of me I can't remember where I saw it bit I found it quite an interesting idea. Another thing that crossed my mind is was the idea of an ageing sytem which I believe Star Trek Online features if you wish to have your character age with time.

So my question to you guys is, would you like to see these systems implemented in TOR and if so would you use them?
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

Number of posts : 2575
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Hmm well Jylans not old but I always envisioned him as an older character I don't think I'd want him to gae during the game though from whta I had him as origonally, if I start a game with a new character I might allow it so you can "grow" into the role of the story kinda like in Fable the way he brought his scars with him etc.
Children....? well the only benifit to them is when you get to make them although I did like them in Fable 2 once again Smile not sure what purpose they'd serve in Tor maybe a side missionwhere they get captured? of maybe to make a more realistic player housing experience.
Back to top Go down
Harlequin2
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Harlequin2

Number of posts : 1887
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 2:40 pm

Guess we can finally see those demented children of the Falleen's... Personally, I think this a ridiculous idea. It worked in Fable 2, but this game looks up to be more like WoW, what with instances, hearthstone, abilities and areas. I just don't see it happening, especially playing as your children. Yeah, I can definately see housing, but children? Only in Jedi/Sith academies. Honestly, it's a bad idea, distracting your attention away from real story lines and danger. Sure, they can get captured, but seriously, a Sith lord having children? Hmm...
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 2:54 pm

I don't think it's a ridiculous idea by any means personally. In fact I'd probably quite enjoy the idea of it after I've done everything that I possibly could achieve in TOR with a certain character, after all I'd already have a connection with the character as he or she would be a direct descendent that I could hopefully level. It's not an idea I'd put past BioWare either considering that a central theme of Star Wars what with the Anakin, Padme, Luke, Leia and Jango and Boba Fett as an example.

Back in LotRO a few of the members from my old guild were in fact the offspring of myself and Mai (perish the thought! LOL!) and even though we weren't really an RP guild, it did add a bit of backstory to the guild.

As for ageing system I wouldn't be so sure if that would be a positive thing or not. Personally I'd just like to visit an NPC that could change my hairstyle or give me a few scars to make my character look a bit older and battle worn.
Back to top Go down
zoran
Registered
Registered
zoran

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 3:22 pm

I wouldn't mind an ageing system but only If It was optional, It would suck If your character was forced to age, I like some realism but that's taking It a bit to far imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 4:31 pm

Far from being a stupid idea, I think this would be a bold evolution of the MMO. Not sure if it would be widely popular mind. But BioWarekeep touting the fact TOR will usher in a new era of story drivenness(? - lol) for MMOs and put the RP back in MMORPG, so it's a possibility. Especially since, as SS points out, familial relationships are central to Star Wars. Having a Sith Lord father a secret heir so they could "rule the galaxy as father and son", if the player so wished would be fantastic!

Mechanics-wise if they did decide to do this then to maintain a coherent story/timeline then I can't see it working if it were optional. I think the whole game-world would have to reflect the passage of time unless they had a system whereby each story 'chapter' (or whatever) segregated players, which would solve that problem and be a logical progression of noob/level capped zones. (And which as an aside would also be cool - Bob's House of Chow, your favourite haunt as a noob in Chapter One is found to have been burned to the ground during an invasion in Chapter Two).

I can't actually see it happening, more's the pity. But I would be very excited if it did!
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 am

An aging system and an offspring system? GO BIOWARE!

Y'see if anyone else had rumours about this in an mmo I'd just laugh it off and go looking for screenshots but BioWare? by jove they might just pull it off. Personally I think they are both awesome ideas, even if they never reach fruition - the fact they are even considering such an evolution of the genre fills me with hope.

After all this is meant to be an mmoRPG - anything that gets the "L33T S5illz" tossers out of the way and off playing some competitive piece of tripe is all right by me. One of the terms that really stood out from the dev videos was them saying they wanted this to be "the definative star wars experience they wanted as kids" which to me sounds like they want it to be more than just another grind to lvl X getting that special gear set so you can prove with just one look from other players that you have no life, no loved ones and believe that all your spare time should be spent on a computer game.

Now, if they can make it so that this is as good as the films, as immersive as the books and as in-depth as the pen 'n' paper games, I say go for it. I'm right behind them.

Plus there is something funny in playing a git of an offspring that wanders around the galaxy slandering the name and ruining the reputation of your main character Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 8:19 am

Harewood wrote:

Mechanics-wise if they did decide to do this then to maintain a coherent story/timeline then I can't see it working if it were optional. I think the whole game-world would have to reflect the passage of time unless they had a system whereby each story 'chapter' (or whatever) segregated players, which would solve that problem and be a logical progression of noob/level capped zones. (And which as an aside would also be cool - Bob's House of Chow, your favourite haunt as a noob in Chapter One is found to have been burned to the ground during an invasion in Chapter Two).

I can't actually see it happening, more's the pity. But I would be very excited if it did!
Thats a brilliant idea! and it would'nt be that hard to implement I wouldn't think it would basically just be another server with a different map, still you might lose the epicly large scale and you'd be restricted to seeing the predicatable armour sets for that level range etc Question
Back to top Go down
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 10:00 am

Its perfectly possible and doable to have certain areas within the game change once you hit certain goals (quests, a certain point in the story, etc) meaning that the area becomes technically a "whole new area" where only other players who have completed the same pre-requisites can enter.

This is a process known as "Phasing" used in many mmos nowadays, in fact world of warcraft has a few really obvious ones like when you play a death knight you start in an area which changes forever at the end of the questline and is utterly unreachable (in that form) by your character from that point onwards.

Another obvious use of phasing is The Battle of The Wrathgate where you go into an area, watch a cinematic, then when you go back the "original" area is replaced with a "new" one. Any players not yet up to the cinematic will never run into those "post-cinematic" as they are in a different "phase" (instance) of the game.
In this case the prerequisite is the completiion of a quest-chain, so I don't think it would be an issue to impliment "the passage of time" dependant on a character's level - you could say that, for example - there could be some massive end to the civil war on Ord Mantell where your character could play a pivital role. Before doing so Ord Mantell could be a constant warzone, buildings on fire etc. You complete the questline (thereby reaching a certain level - if they have a level system), then Ord Mantell could be more settled down with people trying to rebuild and repair the place.

That sort of thing could be easily done by the bods at BioWare Smile
Back to top Go down
Andariun
The Praxeum
The Praxeum
Andariun

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 4:36 am

Personally I'd love an ageing system. Since my character will be in his early twenties I'd like to see him mature and become a more experienced Jedi with maybe a few scars and battle marks to show what he has been through.

I understand this is not for everyone though so like Sureshot said:
Sureshot wrote:
Personally I'd just like to visit an NPC that could change my hairstyle or give me a few scars to make my character look a bit older and battle worn.

I think that this would be the best way to solve the problem and keep everyone happy. The only other thing with this is pricing.
Back to top Go down
http://ashla.org/index.php
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 4:39 am

Yeah - I remember how much it cost just to change your hair in WoW - let alone your face :S

Lets just say The King of Stormwind could probably only afford 1 cut per year :S
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 5:35 am

Well it's been confirmed now guys, the Legacy system is in!

Damion Schubert wrote:
We really want to put in systems to encourage replay. The Legacy System, which we hope to get in, will hopefully be in that venue. I am not ready to talk about what exactly it is and how we do that, but we are really betting heavily on the level up game.

We are really betting heavily on the story aspects of the game, and we really want people to enjoy that journey, and to feel like that journey is interesting and exciting. We actually want to incentivize people to try the different classes so that they experience those other stories, and they play the game again. So that really put a lot of pressure on us to make sure that leveling up your second character and your third character is not grinding, and that it still feels like a fresh and interesting experience. We're less interested in doing a Dark Age of Camelot "hey bypass all the content" in order to get to max level to do the endgame content because of what we think is important about our game and is our unique selling point: we want you to try that content. Maybe there is a way in the future, but that isn't even a sparkle in our eye at this point.

[SOURCE]
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 6:25 am

Ooooh interesting!
Back to top Go down
Randomfest
Freelancer
Freelancer
Randomfest

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 6:52 am

raid leave for 9 months? o.O what if you take a punch to the gut or fall down stairs, lol seriously though i wonder if a female char gets prego and can have complications during a skirmish Razz maybe thats a little to dark though if such a thing were implemented xD would be an odd mechanic though if someone went into labor during a fight lol
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:41 am

Hoping the baby arrives with a gun ^^'
Back to top Go down
http://soude.forumactif.com/
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 9:04 am

Well the offspring part was only mentioned here before TOR was even announced back in 2007. So far though that guy has been scarily accurate on most of the game facts.

People on the forums now though are under the belief that it'll offer the option to unlock different species for each class when it comes to starting an alt, which I really hope isn't the case because I'd like all my choices at character creation.

Still, if they follow the offspring idea I'd be interested to see how that plans out.
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 3:45 am

So you gonna have to finish the game with your human toon in order to get a gamorean son? How exciting! /irony off
Back to top Go down
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:03 am

Soude wrote:
So you gonna have to finish the game with your human toon in order to get a gamorean son? How exciting! /irony off

Aye, summin' like that lol! I wouldn't put it pass them after hearing the news that everyone has the same companion character!

Facepalm
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 3:20 am

Ooops my bad... So all the Human Jedis will have to f**k with their trandoshan compagnion to get a gamorean son? How exciting...
Back to top Go down
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 5:19 am

Lol no info has been released yet!!

Calm yourselves younglings Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ageing & Legacy System   Ageing & Legacy System Empty

Back to top Go down

Ageing & Legacy System
Page 1 of 1