The E.P.O.C.H Agency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMediaSearchLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Current UK Time (GMT)
Similar topics
Current US Time (EST)
Latest topics
» CG: Rift - Planes of Telara
Cross-faction Communication  EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:56 am by Lunarwolf

» New Website is Now Live!
Cross-faction Communication  EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:51 am by Timora

» Calling the finest minds in the Galaxy! (Discussion Thread)
Cross-faction Communication  EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 am by Lunarwolf

» A Couple of Bits of News
Cross-faction Communication  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm by Lunarwolf

» Happy Birthday Nord! (2011)
Cross-faction Communication  EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm by Commander Nord

» GUILD TIMELINE
Cross-faction Communication  EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm by Lunarwolf

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNARWOLF!
Cross-faction Communication  EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:40 pm by Harlequin2

» Dynamic RP: General Discussion
Cross-faction Communication  EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:20 am by Lunarwolf

» The May Guild Meeting Roundup
Cross-faction Communication  EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm by Viking

Radio Coruscant

Who's in Chat?
Visitor Information
Guild Leaders

Officers

Currently Recruiting
BOUNTY HUNTER

MEDIUM (3 Required)

IMPERIAL AGENT

LOW (1 Required)

SITH INQUISITOR

LOW (1 Required)

SITH WARRIOR

FULL

External Links

Recruitment Thread
SWTOR Guild Page

E.P.O.C.H Wiki

SWTOR-RP-Wiki
SWTOR Wiki

SWTOR-Wikia

Wookieepedia

SW:TOR Roleplay

HeroMachine 2.5

E.P.O.C.H on Steam

Midnight Resistance
Top posters
Lunarwolf (6401)
Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b10Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b11Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b12 
Sureshot (5209)
Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b10Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b11Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b12 
PrioryJK (2575)
Caryington (2420)
Harlequin2 (1887)
Commander Nord (1761)
Tando (1068)
Kleti (448)
nosyd (435)
Smudge (369)
Poll
Which Forums Do You Post Most On?
Agents of the E.P.O.C.H (Here)
Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b1065%Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b12
 65% [ 11 ]
An Allies Forums (HoD, Sith'ari Path, Praxeum)
Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b106%Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b12
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Official Forums
Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b1018%Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b12
 18% [ 3 ]
Darth Hater Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
SWTOR Roleplay Forums
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (Please Explain)
Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b100%Cross-faction Communication  Vote_b12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17
Dice Roller

Site Donation
Twitterlink

Cross-faction Communication

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Cross-faction Communication  Empty
PostSubject: Cross-faction Communication    Cross-faction Communication  EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 5:16 pm

Good news for all us RP'ers, apparenly cross-faction communication WILL be possible in TOR according to a recent interview with Sean Dahlberg and Hall Hood:

Ask A Jedi wrote:

AAJ: Will you be able to communicate with members of the other faction?

HH: If by communicate you mean shoot at them, then yes! There are many forms of communication. Are you asking if its like WoW, where you can’t understand what the other faction is saying? I don’t think we would want to go in that sort of direction. I can’t really speak to exactly how the communication would happen between factions, but I think you’re on the right track.

The next one is translated from a French site and even suggests a slight possibility of teaming up with the other faction:

Quote :
How will the communication between the faction take place? Will it be possible to communicate between faction, to partake in certain instances or quests with players from the other faction or even to create a guild that unites players of both factions?

Sean D: It will be possible to communicate between factions. Certain, very specific quests, whether or not instanced, could rarely and exceptionally be done together by the factions.
But that will be very rare and it will happen with a specific goal. Multi-faction guilds are not possible, guilds on both sides will want to compete (*I do not understand this sentence fully!!*). But who knows, maybe that will be possible in an add-on, it’s still under discussion.

It even goes on to confirm that we'll be able to use characters from both factions on the same server:

Sean D wrote:

We’d like our players to want to create new characters; to want to discover the multiple classes of the game on both sides.
So yes it will be possible to create a character of each faction on the same server, in function of the server rules which haven’t been established yet.
It will be possible, but everything depends on what server, and what we will have decided for the function of that server.
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
Lunarwolf
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Lunarwolf

Number of posts : 6401
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Communication    Cross-faction Communication  EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 5:53 pm

As glad as I am to read this, I can't say I'm massively surprised.

Continuing the WoW example that Sean D mentioned it made sense for Blizzard to restrict characters across factions from communicating. Long before it was a useful tool to stop exploits between players, it was part of Warcraft Lore. Each of the major "world powers" had their own language and most were far too arrogant to learn other peoples. Even night elves and blood elves (who were both essentially still 'elves') had seperate languages which had evolved apart for hundreds of years.

Star Wars is quite different and it makes sense that TOR reflects that. In the Star Wars universe the language known as "Galactic Basic" was designed to be universal. It was a form of progressive trade-language which allowed for the largest amount of species to be able to speak it, and almost all to read it. Even those races without the capacity to speak Galactic Basic (Wookies, Jawas and the like) could understand it when it was spoken to them, further increasing its value as a universal language.

BioWare would have had to come up with quite a bizarre reason why people who had been able to understand each other for thousands of years suddenly lost the ability to do so just to make things convienient for a game mechanic.

Still - great news Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/lunarwolf79/lwworks
Sureshot
Chief Operative
Chief Operative
Sureshot

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Communication    Cross-faction Communication  EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm

To be honest there is only one real concern I have over this, and thats the element of PvP. I really don't want there to be general chat amongst two factions purely for the fact that you just know that if there's PvP, there will be griefers. It's just a fact of MMO's. If I completely pwn some 10 year old kid, I don't want said idiot bitching about how I cheated or how me or my team ganked his sorry @%&# when in reality he's just a bad loser! If there's just a seperate tab for people to chat in /say only then I think it's a brilliant idea for the roleplayers among us. Otherwise I fear I'll be using the /ignore function on a regular basis!
Back to top Go down
http://www.agentsoftheepoch.org
Randomfest
Freelancer
Freelancer
Randomfest

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Communication    Cross-faction Communication  EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:15 pm

lol i always liked chat in pvp when i played swg it was pvp rp that got me into rping in that game. still remember the first time, i was sitting in a cantina and an imp came up behind me and instead of taking a shot he sat down and we had a little chat first xP. understanding your target's words imo was what set it above an npc, people seem to be more cordial when they can actually understand one another and in most cases people will try to have a neat little back and forth before they go at it ^^
Back to top Go down
Caryington
Veteran Agent
Veteran Agent
Caryington

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Communication    Cross-faction Communication  EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 7:00 pm

Lunarwolf wrote:
Even those races without the capacity to speak Galactic Basic (Wookies, Jawas and the like)
UTINNI!!!
Back to top Go down
http://soude.forumactif.com/
PrioryJK
Special Agent
Special Agent
PrioryJK

Number of posts : 2575
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Communication    Cross-faction Communication  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:46 am

I think you'll be able to chat using the in air "Say" function but wont be on the general chat boxes around Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cross-faction Communication    Cross-faction Communication  Empty

Back to top Go down

Cross-faction Communication
Page 1 of 1